Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Felt Table Cloth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello,

I was thinking of making a covering to put on my dinning room table made out of felt, I want to know if anyone has done something like this and does it need some sort of backing to keep it from moving on the table?

What has been your experince with things like this? What are the pro's and con's?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

i was looking to do neoprene table topper, but end up just getting a piece of thick felt for my table. I picked it up from michaels, and it's been ok. my table is slick wood, so i use it with a standard table cloth.
To really go over the top, i typically also use a Chessex mat on top. (we use this setup also for d&d, it's a bit overkill for boardgaming, but i like it

So it's standard tablecloth, green felt on top of that, and then the chessex hex/grid.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/142243?utm_source=google&utm_m...

In short, the felt material i got from michaels is 'ok', and it byself would just slide around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1223674/diy-anti-slip-felt-...

This came from the DIY sticky thread at top of the DIY forum...which i just discovered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a felt playmat for my table. Went to Michaels and bought a big felt sheet made of 'premium' felt, whatever that is. It was about 5ft by 3ft. I also purchased a thin foam roll as backing for it, about 2mm thick and glued it together with a can of 3M spray glue. I have been using it for 3 years now and it has held up well. It is a bit worn now but the total cost was about $40, so it is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felt typically wears very poorly and ends up pilling due to how it is constructed. There are better fabrics out there that will work better and last longer.

Check out this thread for some ideas:
Game Table Design Series: Game Table Features - Play Surface

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I purchased a length of baize cloth as is used on pool/billiards tables. There is enough weight in the overhang to keep it from sliding. My wooden dining table is extendable so I double the cloth over when using the table in it's smaller configuration. You could also use table cloth clips to keep it steady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best surface for me has always been a thickish 100% cotton tablecloth. Under it I use non-slip material, that I get from the dollar store (Daiso ¥100 shop) that I also use under our rugs/carpets. Being a rubbery material they not only keep the tablecloth from slipping, but adds a little 'give' to the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went and got a length of ordinary felt and lay it on the table. I also tried a double-sided length with some stiffening interface in between; that works but is less than completely satisfactory.

At this point the big piece of felt is showing some wear. Soon it will need to be replaced and right now I'm waiting on that Game Toppers KS to start to see what the final pricing and packages offered are. If I don't go that route (unlikely), then I'll probably look for a better solution.

The main advantage of the basic felt is it's cheap, easy to replace, and portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.