Subject: Focus.. and attack range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hagen Munsch
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had a look in the rules today and found a rule that we maybe interpreted the wrong way since we play.

In the definition of getting a focus for a monster in relation to its following movement, the rules/FAQ say:

Quote:
Next, find the minimum distance it needs to move to get within range (and line-of-sight) to attack an enemy. It doesn't matter if the monster can't get within range with the movement it has, as long as there is a path to eventually get within range, it will still consider this path the optimal path. The enemy/enemies that are within range (and line-of-sight) at the end of this shortest path are considered the "closest."

To find a focus, the Monster has to get into the range to attack the focussed enemy. Right?

Say there is a melee monster that stands 10 hexes away from the nearest hero. and it can move 2 hexes, and the combat-card modifies it by 0 ( or 1 or 2..., but it does not reach 9)..

The monster cannot get in range to attack the hero. With the rule above,

Quote:
"find the minimum distance it needs to move to get within range (and line-of-sight) to attack an enemy."

it would not get the hero in focus and therefore would not move?

But the next line says:

Quote:
"It doesn't matter if the monster can't get within range with the movement"

because english is not my native language, I might read it wrong, but in my opinion this two lines are saying the opposite of each other..

First the monster HAS to come within range to attack a hero to focus it.
And then it doesn't matter if it comes into range to attack the hero, to focus it.

Please help me understanding.
Since we play Gloomhaven, we are overrun by the enemies. They all surround us and Damage comes in from every side.
If enemies would not come closer when they cannot come in range to attack us in this round, that would make things way simpler.

We always reach the mission-goals with one of the last possible rounds.. And never have the time to open nearby rooms or bonus treasures. We can be happy if we just can reach the goal with the last cards of the one or two of four heroes left.
After reading this rule today, we thought we have found the reason why this game is so difficult to us.

We played the mission with the Inox Campo today. All heroes Lvl 2. The first room had 6 guards with 8 health each, 4 archers and an elite shaman. We could not get the 6 Guards with their enormous health down, before the archers came in and fired additional arrow-damage on us. It was really hard. I wonder how anyone could open, loot and fight the monsters in the additional 4 rooms..
For us this seems impossible and makes no sense..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example: A monster that is 4 hexes away with range 3 and movement 3 will move 1 space and then attack because it is now in range.

A monster that is 7 hexes away with range 3 and movement 3 will move 3 spaces and then stop its turn. It will have to use its following turn to get in range to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassio Santos Pereira
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer is, your original interpretation seems to be correct and it takes time to get good at the game. It is also harder in the beginning.

It might be more simple to think like this: when determining focus, imagine that the enemy has infinite movement. Than use its real movement to move using the path calculated when focus was determined.

As for the difficulty level, Gloomhaven starts hard and gets easier. As you play more, you will get better at using your characters and predicting enemy actions.

As for the scenario you mentioned, notice that you do not have to kill the enemies in all rooms (if I remember correctly). Carefully review the scenario objective, it might not be to kill every enemy on the scenario. For example, some times you have to kill all enemies revealed. If you never open a room, the enemies in the room are never revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your key misunderstanding here is that focus and range are different things.

Focus has no range. When an enemy finds its focus it does not take distance (or line of sight) into account.

After it finds its focus, it will move to get within range. If it is not within range after moving then it will not attack.

Thus, your initial interpretation is correct. That Inox camp is hard, since the Inox are so tough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hagen Munsch
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, so the first step,

Quote:
Next, find the minimum distance it needs to move to get within range (and line-of-sight) to attack an enemy. It doesn't matter if the monster can't get within range with the movement it has, as long as there is a path to eventually get within range, it will still consider this path the optimal path. The enemy/enemies that are within range (and line-of-sight) at the end of this shortest path are considered the "closest."

ist just to determine the shortest path to any hero to determine who of them is the one to reach in the shortest way, presuming that the enemy could attack him. The hint, to assume infinite movement helped

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Use the Attack Range of the Monster to determine Valid Hexes to Attack an Enemy from. (If no Range, or no Attack specified on the card, assume a Melee attack.)

Step 2: From the hexes you found in Step 1, find the one that requires the least movement to reach. (Using Flying/Jump movement if the Monster has it, otherwise normal movement.)

Step 2a: If there's a tie, break the tie first by absolute proximity (closest enemy is your target), and then by Initiative order (faster enemy is your target)

Step 2b: If there's still multiple hexes you could reach with the same movement (perhaps two hexes target the same Closest/Fastest enemy, and are equidistant from you) then Players Choose which hex is the Focus.

Step 3: Move along the route your found in Step 2, as far as your Movement value allows, until your Move runs out, or you reach the hex.

Step 3a: If you cannot reach the hex you chose, get as close to that hex as you can, using the least movement you can.

Step 3b: If 3a is ambiguous, Players Choose which hex the monster ends in. (It usually isn't ambiguous, but it potentially Can be.)

That scenario you're having a hard time with is hard. Usually the outer four rooms aren't opened/looted. If they are, it's because there's a hard limit to the number of monsters of any one type on the board: How many standees for that monster exist. (Using this scenario as an example, there are six Inox Guards on the board, and you can open a door in the first round that has another Inox Guard in it. But there's only six standees for Inox Guards, so you don't spawn another Guard when you open that door, as long as you haven't killed one already.)

The scenario *is* hard, though. I strongly recommend ignoring the Guards and rushing to the Archers to kill them because the worst thing in the world is a line of Guards blocking you from the Archers shooting you in the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hygrom wrote:

Say there is a melee monster that stands 10 hexes away from the nearest hero. and it can move 2 hexes, and the combat-card modifies it by 0 ( or 1 or 2..., but it does not reach 9)..

You don't draw a combat modifier to alter the movement of a monster. It are combat modifiers, not movement modifiers after all.
After movement, get one modifier card for every separate target

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hagen Munsch
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bob, obviously I ment the monster-specific cards that say, what they will do. I just have not the name of that cards in my mind. But they do modify the values of the monsters: Attack +2, Rane +0, Move -1 and so on

But I used the wrong term.. my fault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hagen Munsch
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wes Holland
Thanks for the Hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.