Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick paint job on the trucks for WEDS. Nothing fancy, really the washes do all the work (that's why we call them Liquid Talent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kuentzler
msg tools
Awesome! These look really good. Ive never painted before. Do you think copying this paint job would be possible for a first timer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akuentzler wrote:
Awesome! These look really good. Ive never painted before. Do you think copying this paint job would be possible for a first timer?

It's pretty easy, actually, if you have the right stuff.

First, you need a spray primer (ideally grey) to prime all the models.

Then, get yourself a couple of plain colours, in lighter shades. For example, never buy a black paint, but get a darker grey instead. At this stage it's just paint by numbers: pick an area and colour it all in. Remember that your finished product will look darker than these. It will look silly as a bunch of bright colours mashed together, but wait for the final step.

The last step is to use an ink wash. I use GW's washes because that's what I have on hand from my 40k days. The colours are Badab Black and Devlan Mud, but they probably have different names now. Anyways, these will fill in all the gaps and details in the model, giving you both shadow, and a darker colour. This is what turns grey to black, for example. It also brings out all the detail in, for example, the wooden side of the raider trucks. They really do all the work for you, and bring out the detail in the model that you can't really see.

So definitely try it out. They're easy models to paint, everything is nicely segmented and there's a lot of detail in the sculpt. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kuentzler
msg tools
Cool thanks! I may just go with solid colors and a wash for my first go. I'm afraid if I try multiple colors I may never have the time to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akuentzler wrote:
Cool thanks! I may just go with solid colors and a wash for my first go. I'm afraid if I try multiple colors I may never have the time to finish.

I'm just gonna put this out there. Read it. Follow it. Obey it.

The DIP Method: A Step by Step Guide to Painting Miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, those look awesome,

Roughly how long did it take you? I want to paint mine, but I also want to play the game eventually and painting my scythe minis took a loooong minute.

I know I could play it unpainted first, but the raider trucks are my issue, they need stickers to tell them apart (I believe, again, haven't played yet) and I don't want to put the stickers on if I am going to paint them...

Anyway, roughly how long did this (amazing) job take you? I am sure it will take me longer than that, but I am curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galaxybear wrote:
Oh man, those look awesome,

Roughly how long did it take you? I want to paint mine, but I also want to play the game eventually and painting my scythe minis took a loooong minute.

I know I could play it unpainted first, but the raider trucks are my issue, they need stickers to tell them apart (I believe, again, haven't played yet) and I don't want to put the stickers on if I am going to paint them...

Anyway, roughly how long did this (amazing) job take you? I am sure it will take me longer than that, but I am curious.

It was bits and pieces here and there, but I'm thinking no more than 4 hours for the whole project. The raider trucks could easily be done in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, cool, good to know! That is encouraging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.