Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a starter guide for this spirit, Phantaskippy has an excellent one guide at https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/phantaskippys-guide... so I recommend looking at that for anyone new to this spirit

River is the first spirit I ever played and the one I've played the most so far. At first I had a hard time at doing something about the invaders because the spirit has low damage and no good direct way to kill off invaders early. It has a lot of control powers and it took me awhile to learn how to use them to "prevent" invaders from gaining too much of a foot hold and ravaging early while I built up

I started developing an early game plan with the spirit's opening cards and soon realized that it's classic opening of 2 presence for 2 energy/card play to play flash flood and another card was slowing me down from unlocking it's true potential as soon as possible, which is level 3 massive flooding. This spirit has the benefit of having the perfect starting cards in which to hit it's max innate power threshold without relying on gaining power cards. It's innate is also it's most devastating effect, better than almost any major power you can gain

With that in mind, I started using the following opening:

Quote:
Turn 1 - 2 presence growth for card play (2). 1 energy gain -> play Wash Away & River's Bounty, triggering Innate level 1.

Growth location is important here (and next few rounds), you want to be able to River's bounty onto a land that the explorers are building on this round, then use Innate/Wash away to push out the town it builds. The Dahan will kill the remaining explorer while you use your other power to push away the other town, preventing blight

Turn 2 - 2 presence growth for card play (3), reclaim rivers bounty. 1 energy gain + 1 from last turn's rivers bounty -> Flash Flood & rivers bounty.

Do a similar thing to last turn, use flash flood to pick off an explorer before build. Use innate & river's bounty to push away the built town and setup Dahan to kill explorer

Turn 3 - 2 presence growth, 1 for cards and 1 for energy. Reclaim Wash Away (or flash flood). 3 energy total, play Reclaimed card and Boon of Vigor on another spirit.

Again use innate/wash away to push away a town. Your goal is to delay blights and start grouping invaders

Turn 4+ - reclaim all cards + 1 energy + 1 power card every turn from here on out until you feel stable. You can go 2 routes with the power card, go for enough minor powers so that eventually you can trigger Massive Flooding twice before reclaiming. Or try and fish for 1 of 3 major powers that actually work with Rivers (Cleansing Flood, Accelerated Rot, Tsunami)

Play all your starting cards and use Massive Flooding Level 3 to take out invaders. Use Flash Flood to do 1 damage to Cities so your Massive Flooding can destroy it.

This strategy ramps up River to be an invader killing machine by turn 4, faster than most other spirits. I believe it is probably River's best strategy as Massive Flooding is so key to this spirit doing well and it lacks in other areas due to having only 3 good major powers to draw upon (at least in the base game) to do damage

While the layout of this opening is mostly scripted, there are some variations. You can get and play Wash away turn 2 instead of flash flood. Or play/reclaim Boon of Vigor more if it would benefit the team.

Another trick is that if an early explorer card hits the starting city or town (which will build to a city), you can suicide one of your presence to kill it. Play river's bounty onto that land, gathering 2 Dahan and creating a 3rd. Wash away the explorer and town. When the City ravages, it will blight and kill 1 Dahan but the other 2 will counter attack to kill it. This is especially effective vs inland cities early on as then you may be able to clear the inland area from gaining explorers and keep pushing the invaders toward the coast

I hope this helps anyone that is struggling with River as a spirit or wants to unlock it's full potential. River is one of my favorite spirits as the control it offers is a different playstyle compared to other spirits. Also Boon of Vigor is extremely good when paired with several spirits that rely on card play but have low energy generation, making it fun in multiplayer settings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post, i was wondering 'best openning moves' for some spirits. And i do agree that yours is probably the best opening for river, of course A LOT of factors may change that openning, but that is obviously expected from this awesome game. Thanks, i will definitely try River and try out your opening move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bollinger
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
Phantaskippy also has some great guides for most of the Spirits, including opening moves.

Here's the one for River:

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/phantaskippys-guide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masterscotto wrote:
Phantaskippy also has some great guides for most of the Spirits, including opening moves.

Here's the one for River:

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/phantaskippys-guide...

Ya I listed that one in my opening statement, it's a great starting point for someone new to the spirit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bollinger
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
Apologies, not sure how I missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.