1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: First to go ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt I will ever trade away , sell , trash or give away many if any of my games. But what if I did ? We always see the keep one , three or ten games threads. And the desert island scenario, but this time I'm wondering about those first few games that are gonna go.

So if you trade or sell frequently or you are like me and are trying to keep them all , when push comes to shove what are the next games or games that you are getting rid of. (And maybe why if you're feeeling talkative)

1. Escape Curse of the Temple.....hated it since the first play. Found out I'm not a fan of speed games or dice games with not a single decision to be made.

2. Bean Trader.... Love Bohnanza but this one fooled me. Not the board game version of the great card game in any way.

3. Dominion .... Only because I have three copies. I found two of these at thrift stores unopened and my original copy is looking a little worn. I will keep one of they others but still gives me one last one that might not stay here forever.

So how about you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's my current "sell pile" waiting for an auction:

Pete (isn't sure which one is "next")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've to date sold one game, Betrayal at House on the Hill, because it fell flat for our group.

If space becomes a consideration, I've already earmarked a few games as first to make room. Games like Alhambra, Space Alert and a few boxes of Munchkin, all games that rarely get to the table these days. After that, we'll have to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan - I have other games that fill this area

Android net runner - I don't know, never played it

Android - same as above

Little prince: make me a planet - played it a few times, meh

Polish Mysterium - got the English one

6 nimmt - meh

Ticket to ride Europe - second time selling it

7 wonders - bought it in a bundle for the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone with only about 60 games, I'm in the same boat as you right now. I know I will be selling some for space sake though. If I don't really enjoy a game, I wan't someone else to. I won some in a silent auction (for a good cause) but I only wanted Longhorn from the bunch. I donated the rest to my church game collection. (One was a word game and the other was a not so great trick taking game- not horrible, but I will be buying Diamonds by stronghold games to replace it because I think I only really need one trick taking game.) The trick taking game was called Ding!. I actually think it would be great with 6-8 players but I tend to do social deduction stuff when I have that many.

Long story short, if I don't like the game I won't keep it. I have a few kickstarters that I'll probably be giving to some of my friends for free or donating to the church as well.

I also have too many Ticket to Ride maps because I usually just use USA with 1910 expansion, I kinda wanna trade those though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several games that I'm actively looking to trade because they just didn't land with my group (I am the principle game buyer, so I'm rarely in a position to try before I buy).

A few games (The Duke, Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers, Small World) are perfectly fine games, but just happen to be too similar to other games in my collection that I like better. A few (Doomtown: Reloaded, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game) are games that I actually quite like, but nobody else in my group does, so they just won't see play.

While they're fairly safe at the moment, there are a few games that I could see ending up on the chopping block in the not-too-distant future:

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game - I feel this game lives and dies by its theme, and none of my regular playgroup enjoy that theme very much

Star Realms or Hero Realms - Presently, these two games are too similar to share space in my collection, but I'm waiting to see Hero Realms: The Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck before deciding which one should go

Civilization - This game is great, but I'm always on the look out for a shorter game to adequately replace it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at a point with 100 games where I appreciate a good game and have little desire to add mediocre games to my collection. Thus, games that fall flat for me, are likely to be traded or sold in the future.

Currently on my "for trade" list:

7 Wonders Duel - I just don't like this game. It's too easy to get everything you need. Too quick. Too simple. Too light. And that setup is annoying.

Five Tribes - I actually have mixed feelings about it, there are some things I love and some I hate, but for the right game I would trade my copy.

Wikipedia: The Game About Everything - With so many other things to play this one sits ignored.

Acquire - Picked up at a garage sale. It's a good game and even fun, but we never say, "Hey, I want to play Acquire!"

Games not currently for trade, but that I would consider:
Favor of the Pharaoh - My husband lost terribly the first and only time we played, so I haven't subjected him to another play. Additionally, the game just wasn't as much of a "dice chucker" as I wanted.
Santorini - I will probably keep this one for the nieces and nephews and because my three year old likes to play with the pieces. It's a good game- great even, but I don't see my husband and I playing it much when it's just the two of us.
The Oregon Trail Card Game - I keep this as kind of a novelty and because my nephews like it, but it's rarely played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Getting rid of games is easy. Dont play it and likely won't play it? Gone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold over 500 games. Easy.

I'd be more than happy to unload another 50 at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will happily sell my Shogun (Milton Bradley English edition 1986) if the price is high enough, and the delivery and payment is painless, and the buyer knows what he is getting, just because it takes up a lot of space in my storage. This is a wife-acceptance thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
I will happily sell my Shogun (Milton Bradley English edition 1986) if the price is high enough, and the delivery and payment is painless, and the buyer knows what he is getting, just because it takes up a lot of space in my storage.

I'm not convinced.

gaaloechild wrote:
This is a wife-acceptance thing.

Ah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game was the first to go. SUPERHOT: The Card Game, Friday or the Ascension collection will probably be next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling games is hard for me. I buy games I already own for trading (fun) or selling (less fun), but thruth be told that's really a pretext.
OTOH, I did recently sell my last copy of Tai Pan cause the price was right.

TL;DR: first to go is the game where someone drags me over the hurdle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I sell my games all the time. Often too soon. I've regretted a couple I've moved on.

Next for me might be Massive Darkness. I can't quite decide whether I like it. At the very least I don't need the gigantic box of stuff from the kickstarter pledge, so I'll be off-loading a load of extras.

Maybe Hostage Negotiator too. Really disappointing solo game for me. Too dicey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to sell some of my games but I don't know how to go about doing that. Apart from having bought one game from Geekmarket, I've been hesitant to try trading or selling myself. I live in Malta and I'm worried the shipping would be too costly that I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I've given away these games because they were small and weren't that expensive:

Kodama: The Tree Spirits It's a relaxing game but it's too relaxing for me. Plus, you'd be scoring throughout the game and for someone who doesn't like scoring except at the end of a game, it's a big no-no.

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival I seem to hate this kind of tile-laying games.

Love Letter I like it but I don't love it enough to keep it. It's too based on luck, especially towards the end. I call it mindless fun in which you are bound to laugh merrily at the ridiculousness of it.

Sushi Go I don't like it enough to keep it. I personally think it's overrated. While the passing the cards around was a very original idea, as a whole, the game wasn't that great.

Games I wish to sell:

Can't Stop This game seems to bring out the worst in me.

Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale Same reason as Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

Letters from Whitechapel I found it unfair that Jack the Ripper can cross from one building to another without the use of roads to the point that despite the fact that we were pretty sure where his home is, we couldn't catch him at all. I'd like to think we've probably read some of the rules wrong but it's still too confusing with lots of tracking to do.

Matcha Played it once and I don't think I'll be playing it again.

Fungi I wish I bought Morels instead of Fungi. While it's very fiddly for such a simple game, I think it can be easily fixed but the cards were hard to distinguish and thus made it hard to properly play the game.

Pandemic It's an impressive game but it has a very dark theme which I didn't like. I prefer Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert over Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love smash up. I really love fantasy card games. I really thought I would love Epic PVP, even when watching videos on it I thought it looked fun. It turned out that I totally hate the game. I've been trying to trade it away for so long that I'm really thinking about just tossing it in the trash to get it out of my game closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Maybe Hostage Negotiator too. Really disappointing solo game for me. Too dicey.

Did you try with your own dice rather than those provided? I noticed it helped my enjoyment a lot (otherwise I agree)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a bunch of games for removal I'm mulling over right now but the winners so far are:

Clue - Was having a hard time parting with it because of it being the first game I ever bought (garage sale!). It served me well when I was a kid but it just doesn't get played anymore and I've got a lot of other games we will always pick over it. So it is the first on my list.

Nine Men's Morris and King's Table - These two games I got at a Renaissance Festival made out of cloth and such. While they are neat and very gimmicky, we've never once played them. In truth, we tend to not play many abstract games.

Mancala - Another game from my childhood and another abstract game. I played the crap out of it when I was a kid but nowadays it is pretty ho-hum compared to the other games on my shelf. I'm pretty sure I haven't played it in at least 10 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given away a few games, and I've sold traded a few others. Outside of my trade list, I'd cut...

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle - I think the Legendary Encounters series does the co-op deck-builder better. Harry Potter has some interesting ideas, but once we've beat the last book I'm not sure there's much reason to keep it.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - I want to love this game. But, I don't want to buy a second copy to have more interesting deck-construction options. It has some cool ideas, I just hate how limited the core box feels. Right now, I'm looking to trade to get a second copy or pick up a cheap-ish copy used.

Five Tribes - There's a lot of brain burn around deciding between a few moves that are all about the same. It's be awhile since I've played, and it never really jumps out as a game I want to play.

BANG! - The dice version killed this for me. I only keep this version because I don't own the dice version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Why do you keep a game you hate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue: Spy - To be fair, I have never played Clue. I recieved this as a gift, and I'm not too into the Spy theme as much. I feel bad, though any money could be used for Zelda Clue instead.

Cable Car - This one kinda hurts, I took a gamble on it but it just can't hit the table. Don't really want to get rid of it quite yet (I at-least want to try it!), and because I was in San Francisco last year and I think its cool to have themed board games.

Concept - Technically my brothers game, though it fell flat for him, and no one else wanted it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
When I started this hobby in 2014 (relatively recently), I decided very early to limit my collection to 10 games max.

Here are the games on the chopping block:

Firefly: The Game
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
7 Wonders
Lords of Waterdeep
One Deck Dungeon

Not to get too much into it, but I hate hoarding. I've done it in the past with other things and I'm not doing that again with board games. Board games, computer, and road bike are the only physical entertainment "things" I want to feel precious about. (I'm a physical thing minimalist.)

Also, I have an addictive personality. I've gone down black holes of wasted time & money on other things in the past. I'm only 35, but life is too short. If I don't set a limit, I have no doubt that I would also have hundreds upon hundreds of games on book shelves and I just don't want to go that route.

Anyway;

I'll probably give away the above games to family members/friends in the near future.

(edit: Not to derail the thread, but I think I'll start a BBG blog to write more about this topic and my current 10 game collection, with updates as games come and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Escape and Dominion!

I am prepared to let these go at present though should play them a few more times first to be sure (I actually think they are good games generally, just not my cuppa and I didn't research them properly):

Jamaica
Jaipur
Istanbul
Splendor

That said, I think Jamaica is worth holding onto for playing with nongamer friends with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I've traded away so far is Escape (and got Kingdom Builder in return - a solid move IMO).

Next on the chopping block:
- Jambo (just don't play it enough to justify keeping it)
- La Granja
- +/- Above and Below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always got a literal pile of games that will go in the next auction. It's relatively small at the moment, but will build up over the next few months.

I actually have more trouble deciding what to do with games that won't / don't sell. I finally took some to Goodwill.

Reasons for the next ones to go -

1. Tried it, not likely to get played much more
2. Never really had an interest in the game, but it ended up on my shelves
3. A friend wants to get rid of it and I offer to sell it for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.