Terraforming Mars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First CE solo play...with a twist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So tonight I ventured into the Corporate Era for the first time, having played a few games with the standard era setup (+1 all prod. and no CE cards but still 14 TR) to get used to the solo mode (all my multiplayer games so far were standard era too). For this one I also decided to try out one of the two new (workable) corps from the upcoming Venus expansion, to make things more interesting.

Opening hand consisted of Regolith Eaters and GHG Bacteria among others, so I went with Viron to get a hyperactive microbe engine going. Also had the robots, commercial district, Space Mirrors and that other moon that no-one uses.

Early game: Regoliths came out straightaway along with the Space Mirrors, which I double-tapped for energy production. It was a really slow start, but Deimos and Mohole Area got my temp going, which allowed me to double-tap Equatorial Magnetizer and eventually build the commercial district (next to Noctis just in case) and copy it with the robots.

Mid-game: The microbe siblings were joined by the awesomeness of Extreme Cold and Symbiotic Fungi, allowing me to race up both tracks with Viron's ability. Development Center got me a few cards, I took a gamble on Ti with the Mining Area, and lo and behold, Noctis came into my hand too. Oceans were proving to be a problem, so I had to play some of them with standard projects (nicely helped along by Standard Technology).

Late game: The Ti gamble paid off with an Ice Asteroid, which enabled Kelp Farming to aid my flagging plant engine. Despite the microbes, I still needed 3 greeneries on the last turn but I also knew I had enough to do it, so it was cities before then (plus a few pulls on the Mirrors/Magnetizer combo). Large Convoy finished off the oceans, and the last round of heat went to a Caretaker Contract (due to the busy microbes). Didn't get much of the board covered by the end (unlike the standard era games), but I did get 4 cities around the commercial district and a not-too-shabby score for a first proper go. (Viron is cool, too)

TR: 64
Cards: 9
Greens: 8
Cities: 13
Total: 94

Edit: for those who haven't seen the new corps, it goes like this:
Quote:
Manutech - building tag, 35 mc, 1 steel prod.
Effect = every time you gain a production step (including this one), you also gain 1 resource of that type.

Viron - microbe tag, 48 mc
Action = re-use a blue action card you already used this generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And tonight I followed it up with Manutech. After a couple of failed attempts due to a poor plant engine (coupled with late-game errors) and then a poor heat engine (coupled with a bad opening hand), I finally got it right.

Opening hand consisted of Mohole Area and Black Polar Dust for heat, plus Heather and Tundra Farming for plants. (not making that mistake again)

Early game: The heat engine went down and the Mohole placement was rewarded with a cheap power plant (which later paid for a Rad-Chem factory) and a Space Elevator (which had to wait a little while but was constantly fed by the corp's steel production). Aquifer Pumping came out quite soon too and I played a volcano to speed up the temperature a bit, so I could get my plant cards going. (which included Nitrophilic Moss too now)

Mid-game: I had to buy a standard greenery to force 2% oxygen (methane from Titan), so my plants could start to grow. One aquifer was placed on the card spot, which gave me the all-powerful Kelp Farming. The plant cards game out one by one (all giving me free plants in the process), which vindicated my decision to delay the Nitrogen Asteroid until I had 3 plant tags.

Late game: At this point I was putting out quite a lot of green (enhanced further by trees), so most of my credits went on standard cities. By the end, I had the top half of the board covered, and overall I think this corp is quite strong if you can get on a roll with production cards. (esp. heat/plant)

TR: 60
Cards: 11
Greens: 19
Cities: 32
Total: 122
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To complete the set of games with a twist, I decided to play with Beginner as well.
(not sure why it's excluded from solo officially...it's a weak but still viable corp in my book)

Again, it took a few tries (due to a poor early game) but eventually managed it.

Opening hand comprised of: Heather, Bushes, Adapted Lichen, Flooding, Mineral Deposit, Technology Demonstration, Olympus Conference, Power Infrastructure, Underground Detonations, Ironworks.

Early game: The 3 events, plus the lichen and the Conference gave me some steel, an ocean and 3 more cards. Detonations also came out, to start a heat engine. Nuclear power came along on round 2, which allowed me to recover some lost income with the energy (I didn't have the resources to set up Ironworks and do everything else, so I sold it and settled for the psuedo-income). I also dropped a nuke and a volcano to get the temperature moving further.

Mid-game: Despite a couple of ocean cards, I still needed to push them with standards in order to get Kelp Farming out. By this point my plant production was in double-figures (thank you Mr. Nitrogen Asteroid) but it was unclear if I would make it or not.

Late game: This was all about the oxygen race...I still needed a few standard greeneries to make it, along with a couple more standard oceans. This resulted in only 3 cities (less than I'd hoped for), but nearly half-coverage and another reasonable score.

TR: 63
Cards: 2
Greens: 15
Cities: 15
Total: 95

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.