Sandy Petersen» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: BGG status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've personally met Sandy. He's a really nice guy. If he's not welcome here, I'm not sure I want to be welcome here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:
I've personally met Sandy. He's a really nice guy. If he's not welcome here, I'm not sure I want to be welcome here.

Let´s keep things in perspective. He is quite welcome here. The decision to leave was his because of an isolated incident.

That said, I didn't had the pleasure to meet him, but I do think he is a great guy with a great sense of humor, which sometimes the internet lacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:

He's very welcome here, but some people have gone out of their way to blow things out of proportion and unjustly criticize him. The internet is cruel and I understand his need to retreat after the vitriol people have spat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't think you can say he's not welcome here. Unfortunately, as I posted in another thread, 99% of your fans can be great, or at least phrase their criticism in a way you can reasonably engage with, but all it takes is a tiny number who've decided you must be made to understand just how deeply they despise you to make the rest not worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
the block button exists for a reason, though I can understand not wanting to deal with it at all, especially since he was already frustrated with his threads getting deleted for kind of dubious administrative reasons. ah well, I'm actually pretty excited for the Planet Apocalypse after some of his ask sandy stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been 4 threads at least tangentially on this topic that have been locked. Let's keep it to PM's/Discord/Facebook/Reddit/etc, lest we get a 5th. For all we know, the Old Ones of BGG have a threshold for taking further pre-emptive action goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming from someone who supports the rainbow ideals and culture I think they have gone completely off the deep end. Instead of trying to enact change as they claim, they hunker down enjoying safety in numbers. It's easy to lambast someone when you have no reprisal for your actions.

Rainbowers, your point was made and now a beloved contributor has left. Hope you're happy. To use this one example as a broad application of this mans life and intentions is more an indication of your own outlook of those around you.

You will be missed Sandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
the block button exists for a reason, though I can understand not wanting to deal with it at all, especially since he was already frustrated with his threads getting deleted for kind of dubious administrative reasons. ah well, I'm actually pretty excited for the Planet Apocalypse after some of his ask sandy stuff.

I don't think it's a matter of blocking unpleasant people, but just the thought that so many people (even a granted minority) think this way if you... it's simply... painful.

You can have a crowd of great friends, but for many people, to know even one person, let alone a sizable group, think you are a horrible person is hurtful.

Even if no PMs were sent to sandy, there was an entire thread... how would you feel if there was an entire thread blowing up on BGG dedicated to calling you and your work utter garbage?

Yeah... I'd retreat too... =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26845620#26845620

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm truly baffled.

Alas. I'll probably not be on here much for some time. Combination of being ever more busy these days (plus am moving homes this fall), then what happened today sucked, and finally, if I didn't mention it, just damn busy.

Knowing my dad, I will say that there is definitely a strong chance he'll return to BGG (though not a certainty). [though maybe not for many months?]

Without getting too personal, my perspective is not so much Sandy felt hurt and "stormed off," but rather that it was clear to him that any possible substantive response from him would have only further angered and entrenched those who were upset, and so there was no upside to doing so.

And, contrariwise, refraining from responding substantively in very short order turned to folks apparently planning on sabotaging his livelihood. Maybe that was idle, angry talk, but you never know. Best to leave such a toxic environment - especially if it can impact your business. While he was here because he's a fan of games and gaming, he was also here as a designer and face of his company in such a large online gaming community - that has value.

In any case, that's how it seems to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Prophet
msg tools
existoid wrote:
I'm truly baffled.

Alas. I'll probably not be on here much for some time. Combination of being ever more busy these days (plus am moving homes this fall), then what happened today sucked, and finally, if I didn't mention it, just damn busy.

Knowing my dad, I will say that there is definitely a strong chance he'll return to BGG (though not a certainty). [though maybe not for many months?]

Without getting too personal, my perspective is not so much Sandy felt hurt and "stormed off," but rather that it was clear to him that any possible substantive response from him would have only further angered and entrenched those who were upset, and so there was no upside to doing so.

And, contrariwise, refraining from responding substantively in very short order turned to folks apparently planning on sabotaging his livelihood. Maybe that was idle, angry talk, but you never know. Best to leave such a toxic environment - especially if it can impact your business. While he was here because he's a fan of games and gaming, he was also here as a designer and face of his company in such a large online gaming community - that has value.

Petersen Games should start a blog on their website as a place to have the Ask Sandy types of discussions. There may not be as many participants, but it would still be an avenue to interact with customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I find ironic is when I looked in "that thread" I recognized several people from the Kingdom Death: Monster forums. You'd think that KD:M fans would have some empathy and know what it feels like to have people just go around and make all kinds of wild accusations about a game and/or its creator. Strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
I'm truly baffled.

People saying that Sandy just stormed off and that he should take the "criticisms" didn't get it.

It is not about being angry or upset (although he might have been), it is about the impossibility to move on. Every single thread about the topic was cancelled and the possibility to have this kind of conversation polluting his presence here is terrible - from a personal and professional perspective.

It is an unfortunate but wise decision to step back at least for a while.

When you meet him, give him a big hug from Brazil. We hug people here. We have no respect for personal space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
existoid wrote:
I'm truly baffled.

Yeah it had definitely started to reach the "damned if you do damned if you don't" stage. The baying mob was assembling and they weren't going to be easily subdued. It's very sad. Sandy's presence here will be missed and I now have 1 less reason to visit BGG each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are we letting insecure children run off Sandy? There plenary of echo chambers for insecure people all over the internet. The group that did that is toxic to BGG and will run off more developers as they are emboldened by this clear victory.

You realize Sandy is on the level of Gary Gygax or Steve Jackson, right? He's an absolute gaming and horror pioneer and should be honored as such.

We had years of peace in our forum and then this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand emotions are running hot right now. But nothing justifies spewing hatred as seen in one of the comments above.

This thread is locked.

Bigoted comments have NO PLACE in our forums and will result in being banned from the site.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.