Zbyszek Kisły
msg tools
I wanted to start painting miniatures, but don't want to sink money in something like WH40k. I figured I'll paint some "regular" game.

I thought about Blood Rage since it's quite fast and people seem to love it and play it a lot. I love Mansions of Madness but miniatures don't seem like fun to paint. I absolutely love Conan minis but the game is pretty expensive and also quite heavy.

So do you have in mind something that is quite light and replayable and has great minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be tempted to say wait and see what Fallout Wasteland Warfare brings. It seems like it may cover all you requirements, but its not due out for another couple of months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try some of the board games Games Workshop have put out recently? You mentioned WH40K - how about The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth? Entirely self contained and great miniatures. They're very detailed but that actually makes them easier to paint than the softer detailed figures you get in most board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
Staying in the GW standalone game track:
Space Hulk (fourth edition)

Terminators and genestealers are very different types of models to paint. And the game itself is not bad at all. It only plays 2 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest or Arcadia Quest: Inferno?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zombicide: Black Plague is pretty light, if you don't mind painting a ton of zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
People can say what they want about cool mini or not, but their games have some of the nicest miniatures I've ever seen. I just got Massive Darkness and the minis are incredible. A lot of other games have flimsy, sloppy, light feeling minis (here's looking at you and your bent pieces sword and sorcery)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend generic rules, so you can pick whichever miniatures you like!

Oh .. by chance I happen to have created such a generic ruleset whistle

The rules are free and the game can be played with as few as 1 miniature per player (and thus with more players) and allows a maximum of 4 miniatures per side - so you will have at best 8 miniatures on the table.
Also, you may choose whichever miniature from any publisher's range you like - so if you think "miniature A from publisher A looks awesome, but miniature B from publisher B would be a good fit", then Whack & Slaughter is your game!

Though it is played with fantasy- and/or pirate miniatures, the scenarios are somewhat "modern", since you get stuff like "capture the flag" or "bombing run" or even a "snowball fight".

You can build your own arenas with any terrain you already possess.
As an Arena is at best 24" x 24" - so not much terrain is needed. Some trees, maybe a house or two - that's it.

Don't let yourself get repelled by the almost 100 pages of rules: The first part is an easily understandable tutorial, teaching you the core mechanics. Then come the rules a bit more detailed and about half of the book covers skills as well as scenarios.
Speaking of skills: you get 225 skills and a Hero may have up to 5 of them.
I once did the math calculating how many different Heroes you can create. The number was higher than any other number I have ever read before, so I forgot. Sorry.

So, with those rules you get a lot to tinker with, so the replayability is high, since you will always want to try out different options

Big plus: I'm always around, in case any questions come up!

Happy slaughtering and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am painting Mice and Mystics and Tail Feathers.
I think they are fun to paint (but I love the theme, having been a Redwall fan for a long time), and don't require assembly.

I think Imperial Assault would also be fun, but I don't own it yet.

If you want something on "easy mode" you could buy X-wing miniatures, and do repaints. That way you don't have to paint the whole thing, you can selectively change parts to get a new color scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:
I am painting Mice and Mystics and Tail Feathers.
I think they are fun to paint (but I love the theme, having been a Redwall fan for a long time), and don't require assembly.

I think Imperial Assault would also be fun, but I don't own it yet.

Mice and Mystics was going to be my answer, as well, with Star Wars: Imperial Assault second. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
zbyshekh wrote:
I wanted to start painting miniatures, but don't want to sink money in something like WH40k. I figured I'll paint some "regular" game.

Wargames are usually two-player. There are a lot of not GW games out there (I would avoid as with the exception of Space Hulk they tend to be both relatively poor games and hugely over-priced).
Historical games with 15mm are relatively inexpensive and there are SciFi as well as Historical and Fantasy sets. If you are willing to get into fantasy and do not mind a lot of painting then in 25mm there is Kings of War which is a genuinely good game.
You could also drop to 6mm, I've seen a Baccus miniatures sci-fi stuff in this scale at a few shows (they have a set of rules called Command Decision).
There are also a lot of skirmish style miniatures games which involve just a handful of large units often supplemented by cards which are well suited to a lot of work on just a few miniatures - sorry no recommendations as I have not really played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
You might try Grimm Forest. The miniatures are large (easier to start out) and it is a self-contained game. The theme might not suit you though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started out with Temple of Elemental Evil - it can be broken down into scenarios which can play quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Zombicide: Black Plague is pretty light, if you don't mind painting a ton of zombies.

Zombies (and other undead) are some of the easiest miniatures to paint. Even easier are terrain.

You rate Chess and 8. Have you thought of painting chess pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.