Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and I play a lot of games together. She has been a bit busy with a few things. I'm itching to play the game but would like to wait for her to start as well. I know the rules says you can add and take out players so just wondering if anyone starting playing Solo and then add a second player and how is the transition/experience with it? Just to be clear, not saying playing solo with two characters then having a second player jump it as the second character. Thank you in advance any heads up on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not had anyone jump in or out of a game with me, but I am currently running 2 games at once. I have a 3p game with my wife and son and we play about 2-3 hrs per week. Meanwhile, when it looks like it will be several days before the family can play, I save everything and reset a solo game I'm playing against a different curse... when the family frees up, I save and reset to that game.

The only issues is that I know the continent and what to expect very well and my family is experiencing everything for the first time. My family are relatively novice gamers, so this isn't a problem for them, but if your playing partner(s) want to experience everything with you, it might be best to be patient and play on their schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went from 2 to 3 players without any trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing exactly that. I started solo but my wife will hop in every 3rd ish game session. It works just fine other than I feel she's missing out on the overal narrative.

I'll probably keep it up like this still I / we finish the first curse or die. After I get a good feel for it I think I may be able to be more patient to wait for her to join every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've switched from 2 to 1 and back to 2 again in my first game, mechanically it works like a charm. The only difference between her character and yours is that she won't have any skills or bonus cards in her hand while you'll be well stocked, but that's easily remedied after a few turns. But you can give her some of your items (you'll have to anyway, since your hand limit will be tighter with 2p). Also you'll have to catch her up on everything that you've done so far: places you've been, things you found, and progress on lifting the curse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
I've switched from 2 to 1 and back to 2 again in my first game, mechanically it works like a charm. The only difference between her character and yours is that she won't have any skills or bonus cards in her hand while you'll be well stocked, but that's easily remedied after a few turns. But you can give her some of your items (you'll have to anyway, since your hand limit will be tighter with 2p). Also you'll have to catch her up on everything that you've done so far: places you've been, things you found, and progress on lifting the curse...

I wondered about this... If I recall the rules say you need to sort of discards / disassemble your hand / inventory to comply with the player count you are moving to... so in a solo to 2p switch, you would need to remove an item from inventory and shrink any 4 deep items to 3 deep. Also you'd need to discard down so your hand was 4 cards if you had 5.

If I have that rule correct, my thinking was to give all that stuff to the new player.. it's like you run into a friend in the woods and they're like "you have a ton of stuff... can I help you carry some of it?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

I wondered about this... If I recall the rules say you need to sort of discards / disassemble your hand / inventory to comply with the player count you are moving to... so in a solo to 2p switch, you would need to remove an item from inventory and shrink any 4 deep items to 3 deep. Also you'd need to discard down so your hand was 4 cards if you had 5.

If I have that rule correct, my thinking was to give all that stuff to the new player.. it's like you run into a friend in the woods and they're like "you have a ton of stuff... can I help you carry some of it?"

The mechanics of changing the player count midgame are covered on page 22 of the rules, "Leaving or joining a game in progress." The official rule is that an added player starts with nothing, and the other players have to immediately DISCARD to hand and item limits. (Reducing # of players is handled according to player elimination rules.)

So doing what you suggest of shifting resources around without discard would have to be considered a house rule. If it is something that will happen frequently due to play schedules, it may make sense to nerf the transition costs. An in-between method would be to allow the shifting but at the normal "transaction cost" of discarding two action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:

The mechanics of changing the player count midgame are covered on page 22 of the rules, "Leaving or joining a game in progress." The official rule is that an added player starts with nothing, and the other players have to immediately DISCARD to hand and item limits. (Reducing # of players is handled according to player elimination rules.)

On the bright side, when you add a character, you also add their 5 cards to the Action Deck, increasing your energy level. This helps to compensate for the loss of item and hand cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:

So doing what you suggest of shifting resources around without discard would have to be considered a house rule. If it is something that will happen frequently due to play schedules, it may make sense to nerf the transition costs. An in-between method would be to allow the shifting but at the normal "transaction cost" of discarding two action cards.

Right. What I'm proposing is a minor house rule: instead of immediately discarding down to the new hand size, it's possible to first exchange items as stated in the rulebook, by paying the cost (which is compensated by the 5 extra character skills that will be added to the deck). Skill cards and bonuses, which can't be traded under any circumstances, are discarded. Same for excess cards in item stacks. For example, with 1p you can have up to 4 stacks of 4 item cards; when adding a 2nd player, discard one card from each stack, then pay 2 cards to give them one of the item stacks, or pay 4 cards to give them two of the item stacks.
I feel like, if the player count varies often (like in the OP's case if his wife's schedule doesn't allow her to play regularly) having to constantly discard nearly half of the inventory will be penalizing.

A major house rule (which I think is what Zachary suggested?) would be that all the cards that would be discarded in the above scenario are instead given to the new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
randiv wrote:

Right. What I'm proposing is a minor house rule: instead of immediately discarding down to the new hand size, it's possible to first exchange items as stated in the rulebook, by paying the cost (which is compensated by the 5 extra character skills that will be added to the deck). Skill cards and bonuses, which can't be traded under any circumstances, are discarded. Same for excess cards in item stacks. For example, with 1p you can have up to 4 stacks of 4 item cards; when adding a 2nd player, discard one card from each stack, then pay 2 cards to give them one of the item stacks, or pay 4 cards to give them two of the item stacks.
I feel like, if the player count varies often (like in the OP's case if his wife's schedule doesn't allow her to play regularly) having to constantly discard nearly half of the inventory will be penalizing.

A major house rule (which I think is what Zachary suggested?) would be that all the cards that would be discarded in the above scenario are instead given to the new player.

Yes... I haven't had to do it, but I'm thinking about thematically how the exchange would go. I totally get that I couldn't give my new expedition partner my "Tired" state or pass off a companion bonus card... but if I'm carrying 4 things that are all 4 deep, I don't see why my reaction would be to just drop one of them and not allow my partner to pick it up.

I'm imagining where we'd be if the 2nd player had been along for the ride all along... surely, they would have some sort of inventory and the inventory would have been created from cards in the Action Deck that came off the deck in the same order regardless of how many players were playing (obviously the gamestate would be different with more players). Anyway, it seems like a pretty harmless house rule that makes thematic sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
randiv wrote:

I think this is an excellent rule suggestion and will be using it going forward - it makes a lot of thematic sense to be able to pass off an item (as long as the stack is legal for new player count!) to a player joining the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It sounds like you have your answer for the mechanics, but... I hope you can wait and play with your partner. This really is an awesome co-op experience. I have definitely enjoyed exploring and unraveling the mysteries of the island together with my partner more than I would have alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
It sounds like you have your answer for the mechanics, but... I hope you can wait and play with your partner. This really is an awesome co-op experience. I have definitely enjoyed exploring and unraveling the mysteries of the island together with my partner more than I would have alone.

Me too. I want her to experience it with me. I'm not much of a solo gamer anyways, just to familiar myself with rules and such. Thanks everyone for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm new to this but how do you have multiple game saves? Is it hard to save a deck and then start another game? I mean, how do you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a really cool google spreadsheet somewhere out there
If you are interested I think you can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.