Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried this - and failed.

My strategy was:

Knight and Preacher stay back to fight the Papal Guards,
Mage and Assassin sprint on roof, the Mage was supposed to sheep one of the Swiss Guards while the assassin kills the healer.

Well, the Knight and Preacher did good and managed to kill 1 Papal guard without taking damage themselves (thanks to all those Preacher blind tokens). It´s all about timing here: The Knight has The Fury Gloves, poisoned weapon and Spot the Weak point, so the first enemy hit will take massive damage. The Preacher doesnt hit much against shields, so he just kept on blinding.

The mage did what she should but the assassin totally underperformed. I managed to get the healer up to 5 damage, but then she was always struck with the cardinals weakening spell,making her ineffective. By that time, the Swiss guard saw her as a thread and attacked her, leaving her with 1 life only after 2 rounds.

By that time I saw that this didnt work and moved my preacher closer to the mage/assassin situation, then blinded the swiss guards. That worked, but it was already 3pm so the Gypsy had no means to escape anymore (she takes 4 activations to reach the safe zone = 14*5 minutes.

So basically, in order to save her, you need to move her in a direct line, taking you 1hr and 10 minutes. But as there probably will be enemies standing before her, you need to free her at 2pm at the latest. The Thief/assassin will be fastest there, but she has no defense... any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to beat this one.

I ran the Assassin up the roof and she spent the entire game throwing daggers at the Swiss guards. She made a difference but my rolls were not very good.

Knight rushed the Papal guards and pretty much tied them up. I took advantage of their slow nature and ran some circles around the barrels. To my surprise, he was able to start hurting them.

Priest ran by the guards, stunning one but for the most part his job was to run to the Swiss guards and stun/interfere with them. Over-all I'm finding him the least effective. He did free the witch though.

Mage ran to the corner building and so she could pretty much see the entire map. She pretty much ruled. Inflicting damage on the Papal or Swiss guards as needed. In hindsight, the roof would have made her safer. I made/bought the crystal ball for her and that makes her spells very accurate.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Micheel
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just to be sure: the Assassin cant throw knives I guess you still used the scum or the thief as they only can use the Daggers.

And... slow nature? Papal Guards also have Ra5 - and Reach 2, which is a major upgrade to their lvl 1 variants.

Priest: Least effective? He´s the one helping me beat every mission with his overly powerful holy light. At least thats my experience

The Mage...yes, powerful - but against the swiss guards not so much as they have a 6+ save against her, making 2 successes unlikely (25% chance to hit, so you´d need 8 dice to "guarantee" a hit with Blizzard). Against the Papal Guards: Very powerful, bypassing their shields!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunnagh wrote:
Ok, just to be sure: the Assassin cant throw knives I guess you still used the scum or the thief as they only can use the Daggers.

And... slow nature? Papal Guards also have Ra5 - and Reach 2, which is a major upgrade to their lvl 1 variants.

Priest: Least effective? He´s the one helping me beat every mission with his overly powerful holy light. At least thats my experience

The Mage...yes, powerful - but against the swiss guards not so much as they have a 6+ save against her, making 2 successes unlikely (25% chance to hit, so you´d need 8 dice to "guarantee" a hit with Blizzard). Against the Papal Guards: Very powerful, bypassing their shields!

Sorry, I bought the Lethary Dagger for the Assassin. Gives her an 8 range attack that can cause sleep. Forgot about that until I looked again. That helped. A LOT.

Papal guards aren't slow. I was mis-remembering. I bought the Confusion Staff with my mage and she could stun them consistently. My Merc would still run around the barrels to help keep them from all ganging up on him in one turn. I have the Bear

Preacher - I find him weak because of his 3 dice on both physical and mental. By the time you are up against level 2 enemies, he is all but useless. He cannot consistently get anything accomplished. I didn't buy the Holy Light because by the sound of it, he can blind his companions.

Mage - I use Mana Blizzard and Rolling Stone, neither of which are Opposed tests (so using the 5+ RoS). The only spells she has that use the Oppose restriction are Sheep & Lightning. Sounds like you might be making the spells harder for yourself. If it doesn't have the hand symbol, it doesn't use the opponent's Md (see P12). Now that I read P16 I see that the Spell section is NOT clear at all on this matter.
Also, with her Crystal ball, once per round she can change the result of 1 die, so she rarely fails. I also bought the Confusion Staff for her and that causes Stun tokens. Basically, my Mage is the all-star and everybody supports her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Micheel
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure bought a lot of equipment I got unlucky in drawing elements. I already have 10 salt but only 1 Deadly Nightshade... but I have the Fury Gloves

Yeah, he blinds companions - but with more than 1 type of enemy on the field, you can VERY cleverly out-blind them, so you always get some hits on the enemies. Also, the Preacher himself isnt blinded.

Distill Poison is also invaluable!
But I agree: In "real" combat, he´s weak.

Mage: Damn it, you´re right. I played that wrong :-( Well, it´s getting easier now. Thanks!

Crystal Ball has an errata to 3x per mission.

And I agree: Mage has the option to be the most powerful hero. Next time, I will choose the Chronomancer to see what he´s like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell your salts at the merchant. He buys them for 1/2 price. Also, unless I'm doing something wrong, you can pay the full cost of an element (baring the animal ones) to get whatever you need. So building formulae is quite easy. Again, unless there is a change on that.

I bought Distill Poison as well, but I've found it to be okay in use. And the reason why is that every time I use it, that enemy is killed that round anyway so it doesn't seem to 'last'. It will see more use against very high Pd foes, I'm sure.

Thanks for pointing out the crystal ball. It was currently overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.