Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving Crime Wave last week, I am eager to start against these nefarious villains! Since I have all of the Hostage Negotiator Material, I will tackle each abductor in order.

For the Hostage Negotiator abductors and the original HN abductor packs, I will use the Hostage Negotiator conversation cards, and terror cards. When I hit the Crime Wave content and abductor packs, I'll switch over to the new Crime Wave versions of those cards. I don't want to make things complicated by mixing and matching.

September 7th.

Tonight we tackle Arkayne Massua.

Right off the bat, I've gotten lucky. Played 2 "Keep Cool" and 2 "What are your demands". I had exactly one success for each of those. That reduced the threat to 2 (nice!), and revealed both demands. These are "Release the Fugitives" and "Speed Bike".

Now, I'm looking at these cards, and if I can get enough conversation points, this can be over in a very interesting way. Grab the "all units in there" and "Sniper, Take the Shot" cards by conceding the fugitives, and then on a future turn, concede the Speed Bike to use those cards with +2 dice. This should kill the Abductor, and get most of the hostages released! Then the 2nd in command should be easy enough to deal with. Easy victory.

Spend phase: I've got no points to buy anything, so I'll be stuck with my 2 "small talk" cards next round.

First terror card: Hostage Escape Attempt. My roll is a 4. I'll throw away my only 2 cards to get a hostage out of there, but next turn's going to be dull!

Next turn, no conversation, but I'll get 4 of my cards back. Then the terror card is "Don't test me". I roll a 3. BARELY made it.

Now, I play 2 "keep cool" cards. First one is a whiff (-1 conversation). Second one gets a single success. Enough to get me to three dice! No use playing "what are your demands" while I've got -1 conversation, so I'll keep them for next turn. No spending, and the terror card is "This is going nowhere". BAM! Lost a hostage. 1 saved, 1 dead.

Next turn: Rolling 3 dice for Small talk gets me 2 successes (3 conversation points). Rolling for another small talk gets me 2 successes again, jacking me up to 6 conversation points! "What are your Demands?" gets me to 8! I concede "release the fugitives". With that I grab "Sniper, take the shot" and "all units in there now!". With my remaining 4 conversation points, I buy 2 "What I meant was" and "Just a few more minutes".

Terror card is "This is going nowhere" BAM! Lost a second hostage. But this is going to be over in short order.

Next turn: "Keep Cool" with 1 success on 3 dice gets me to the "S". "Keep Cool" again and no successes (-1 conversation point... uh oh). "What are your demands" with 2 successes gets me to +1 conversation points. "Just a few more minutes" with 1 success and a 4... I could reroll OR.. but I realize that if I go up that threat, I'm actually losing a dice on the next few rolls. SO... I throw away both my reroll cards. So, after converting that to a success, I've got 5 conversation points - enough to concede the speed bike.

Here we go: 5 dice on the ... WAIT! I can't play Both the Sniper, and the "All Units" card. They both END the conversation! That was a bit of a goof. Okay. Sniper it is, because if I don't get 2 successes on "All Units", it's game over.

ROLL: 2 successes! Arkayne is DEAD. His 2nd in Command takes over! 2 more hostages escape!

Now, I've still got 2 conversation points to spend. I buy "you need to trust me". Hopefully that will seal the game next turn.

Terror card is a minor demand for food. there's a 2nd in command, so it is discarded.

Next turn: "You need to trust me". I roll one success, so my 4's will be successes next roll. Now I play the finale: "All Units, Get in there NOW!"....

..... a "1", a "1", and a "2". Abductor escapes. Oops.

Well, it seems I unlocked a Crime Wave achievement: "Play no cards during the conversation phase". Hmm...

We'll try Arkayne again tomorrow.

edit: Looks like I have a couple more Arkayne specific achievements here:
"Get 5 Dice to roll for at least one threat roll" and "eliminate Arkayne with 2+ Hostages still in the Hostage Pool".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Full Reports as I go through each Investigator
Nice report.

But are you sure you want 'investigator' in the thread title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Nice report.

But are you sure you want 'investigator' in the thread title?

Thanks for pointing that out. Corrected! (I was up WAY too late last night).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great fun! I'm loving the game . . . and sessions like yours are why! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 2

September 8th

In the last session, Arkayne was shot dead, but his 2nd in command won the day for the bad guys. Can I defeat Arkayne Massua tonight in this do-over?

Turn 1:

The first conversation feels like a repeat of last night. 2x"Keep Cool" and 2x"What are your demands?". Each one gets a single success. This time the demands are "Release my Lieutenant" and "Helicopter".

Hmm... I feel the Helicopter is the same as yesterday's Speed Bike. I check. They are the exact same, except the speedbike costs 1 less conversation point to concede. So, the helicopter is little bit worse.

Anyways, nothing to buy, so its time for the first terror card: "Minor Demand: Media Coverage". So Arkayne wants a bit of chat time on the tele! I like this one. Combos well with the Helicopter, but I'll need to watch out and not blow it like last time. I think I'll focus on calming him down and getting most of the hostages out that way first.

Turn 2:

It's "Small Talk" time. Twice. First one has a single success, and the 2nd one fails, and ends the conversation. Still good enough to get me 3 conversation points though. Good enough to keep with my threat reduction strategy and buy a "Just Stay Calm" and a little insurance with "What I meant was...". I also scoop 4 zero cost cards.

Terror phase gets me... "This is going nowhere". BLAM. Dead Hostage. Since I managed to pick out 6 female and 1 male hostage meeples out of the bag, I'll just go ahead and kill of the guy meeple (mercy killing?)

Turn 3:

Big Roll for "Just Stay Calm". Snake-eyes though. Big fail, and I use my "What I meant was". Still a fail. Threat is up to 3 and the conversation is over. During the buy phase, I've now got all of the zero cost cards in my hand.

Terror phase gets me... "I'm growing impatient", milling the deck, and then "A Moment of Weakness". A mixed bag - I've got one less turn, but I've also got a my first saved hostage.

Turn 4:

"Keep Cool". I roll a 4. I discard both "What are Demands" cards to make it a single success. I play a second "Keep Cool" and the same thing happens. I want the success as it gets me to 3 dice. I've used 6 conversation cards to reduce the threat to 1.

Can't buy anything, so I flip the terror card... "The situation is worsening". Oh well, that was a useless turn it seems. Threat's up to 2.

Turn 5:

No conversation, and I get all those zero cards back. The terror card is a Minor Demand: Water. That's a nice piece of luck.

Turn 6:

I'm running out of time. I've got to use that water to get me some luck. I concede the water to get an extra dice until the end of the conversation.

"Keep Cool" is a double success, and I get 4 dice until the end of the turn! Another "Keep Cool" and a single success gets me to the "S". Now let's get some conversation points. Two "Small Talk" and a single success each gets me to 5 conversation points. Two "What are your demands" with 2 and 1 successes and that goes to 8 conversation points!

I buy 2 "Just Stay Calm", 2 "What I Meant Was" and a "You Need to Trust Me". The terror card this round is "The situation is worsening". Threat's back to 1 and I check the terror cards: 3 + the pivotal event.

Turn 7:

"You need to trust me" gets a single success, but it doesn't change my single success roll on "Just Stay Calm". Threat is now S. The 2nd "Just Stay Calm" gets a single success and a 4. I discard the 2 reroll cards to extract 2 hostages.

Buy phase is gets me all the zero cards, and terror phase gets me a "Hostage Escape Attempt". Rolling 3 dice gets me a success! NICE. We've got 4 escaped hostages, 1 dead, and 2 waiting to be rescued.

Turn 8:

One "Keep Cool" is a failure and another gets me 2 successes. Net effect is another hostage saved! A failed "Small Talk" ends the conversation, but gets me a conversation point. I buy a "What I Meant Was" and flip a "Don't Test Me" terror card. I easily make the roll and nobody dies.

Turn 9:

Two "What are your demands". One fails and threat's at 1. The other double success for 2 points. Small Talk is a double success and gets me to 5 conversation points.

Shall I concede the Helicopter and the Media and roll 4 dice to get a single success or more with "Major Extraction" or "All units"? I've got a reroll too. But failure means game over.

I don't want to tempt the fate gods. Picking up "An Empty Promise" and another "What I Meant Was", then I flip over the last red terror card: "Looks like we're back to square one" and the threat goes back to 4.

Turn 10:

Roll two dice on "An Empty Promise". I roll a 4, and throw away a "small talk" and a "keep cool" to get one success. +2 dice on the next threat roll.

I concede "Media Coverage", picking up "Major Extraction" and putting threat at 6. I roll 4 dice for "Major Extraction". TWO SUCCESSES!

The last hostage is rescued and Arkayne is Captured! Victory the turn before the pivotal event would have been drawn!

A WIN!

Next up is Donna, the nutty professor.

Noted afterwards that I have another achievement under my belt: "Win during the Turn before the Pivotal Event"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 3

September 9th

Let's see if we can get those students away from Donna Scarborough. The main challenge here is getting TWELVE students away. She starts pretty calm though. I think I'll focus on keeping threat low, as I did with Arkayne.

Turn 1:

"Keep Cool" gets me a 4, and I throw away both "Small Talk" to get threat down to 1, and the 3 dice. The second "Keep Cool" gets me another success and threat's at "S"! Good start! I play both "What are your demands" and get a success on each. She wants us to "Wire $10 Million" and she intends to "Walk Right Out of Here"... that card is VERY bad. It makes it even more important that keep threat low so I get 3 dice (if all dice are 1, game over after the conversation ends).

I can't buy anything, and the first terror card is Minor Demand "Media Coverage". Nice! I like that one.

Turn 2:

I make my threat roll for "Walk right out of here", but have no cards to converse with. I scoop up all the zero's. The terror card is "I'm getting Angry"... great. Threat's at 2 and I'm back to 2 dice.

Turn 3:

I make the threat roll before the conversation. Two "Keep Cool"'s gets a single success each putting us back at "S" on the threat meter. Two "Small Talk" and two "What are your demands" get me a lot of successes, and I've got 7 conversation points to purchase cards.

I buy "A Bold Lie", "Just Stay Calm" and a "What I Meant Was". The terror card for the turn is a Hostage Escape attempt. I make the roll and we've freed a hostage!

Turn 4:

I succeed my threat roll. I play "A Bold Lie" and roll a 1, 3, and 4. I could discard all my cards, or take the riskier reroll. I risk it and reroll the 1 and it is a success! One more hostage freed and a conversation point. "Just Stay Calm" gets me 2 successes, and I now have a total of 4 hostages saved!

I buy a "What I meant was" and scoop the remaining zeros. I flip the terror card "I'm getting Angry" and threat goes up to 2. Ouch.

Turn 5:

The start of turn threat roll is double "6" and Donna releases another hostage!

I play "Keep Cool" and its a double success and we're at 3 dice again! A 2nd "Keep Cool" and I get 2 successes - both "6"'s and Donna releases her 6th hostage! A "Small Talk" nets me a couple of 4's. I don't want to discard cards, so I'll take a 3rd conversation point and end the conversation.

With my points, I buy a "Just Stay Calm" and another "What I Meant was". Terror this turn is "Don't Test Me" and I pass easily.

Turn 6:

Threat roll has passed again (as in, not 3 "1"'s). I open with "Just Stay Calm" for 2 successes. A "Small Talk" and a "What are your demands" each get double success. The other "Demands" card gets a single success. My conversation points end up at 6.

I buy "A Bold Lie" and "Just Stay Calm". The zero cards get me 2 "Keep Cool" and a "Small Talk".

Terror card is "I'm growing impatient" followed by "This is going nowhere". BAM! Oh well. There goes my chance at a perfect game.

Turn 7:

Pass the threat again. 2 "Keep Cool"'s get a single success each, releasing 2 more hostages, and I've got 1 left in the pool. I concede "Media Coverage" for "I'm coming in to Talk" (probably should have done that before the Keep Cool cards).

Rolling for "I'm coming in to Talk" garners me a "6", "6", "5". Then I realize that threat's at 2 because I conceded Media. REROLL! It gets me a Single Success. I play "Just Stay Calm" getting a 2, 4, 5. I throw away "Small talk" and a "What I meant Was" for the 2nd success. Threat is now down to "S" again.

It comes down to a "Bold Lie", 4 dice, and a reroll card. I roll "1", "4", "6", "6". The last hostage waltzes out on the double "6" and I capture Donna with my bold lie! Don't worry Donna. No need to keep the hostages. You've been reinstated and even the police think you're in the right on this one! Just come on outside..

WIN!

Tomorrow, let's see how we do against Edward and his poor son.

edit: Looks like I've achieved a couple of Donna specific achievements during this game too: "Reveal Both Demands in the First turn" and "Win with the threat level on the "S".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 4

September 11th

Hospitals are for saving lives. "Do No Harm" -> obviously Edward Quinn is no doctor. He'll snuff out 7 lives if he can't get care for his kid.

The key to Edward is keeping him calm. If he gets too anxious, he kills everyone. Let's see if we can keep him calm enough.

Turn 1:

"Keep Cool" - twice. Failed - twice.
"What are you demands". Failed the first time, and threat is up to 4. The second time gets me a single success and reveals the demand "Keep My Son Alive". So I can win by conceding care for Edward's son. I've got to keep a few fluff cards in my hand for this though. No smashing through my whole hand for big pushes.

With that in mind, I will end the conversation phase. At -2 points, I'm not buying anything, so the first terror card is: "This is going nowhere". Great. Threat is at 5, and I've got to put a small talk under the "Keep my Son Alive" card.

Turn 2:

Can I risk using my only conversation card? I don't think so. Nothing to say and nothing to buy. I flip the terror card. It is Minor Demand: Media Coverage. Can't use it in the short term or I'll lose the game.

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" twice. Failed twice. No use playing a "small talk" here with -2 points already. End of conversation. Nothing to buy. Terror card is: Minor Demand: Food. With my rolls so far, I predict that I'm going to need this.

Turn 4:

"Small talk". I roll a 4, but if I use it, my hand would be empty, and vulnerable to "Keep my son alive". No use keeping the conversation alive by conceding the food either. Nothing to buy. Terror card is "I'm growing impatient" followed by "Don't Test me". Well, I've got to roll a 6: and... MIRACLE. a 6! Since there's a secondary effect, I tuck a "What are your Demands?" card under the major demand.

Turn 5:

"Keep Cool" twice. Failed twice. And... down to only 4 zero cost cards, and having to hold one back, I'm going to have to start taking some extreme chances from here on out. Can't buy anything, and the terror card is "The situation is worsening". Threat is at 6, and my only "What are your demands?" card is now tucked away under the major demand.

Turn 6:

I have a single card in hand: a "Small Talk" and I've got to risk using it simply because I need more cards. My roll fails again. Nothing to buy again (except to scoop the 2 zero cards). and terror is a Hostage Escape attempt. Which is a success! One hostage saved. 6 to go.

Turn 7:

"Keep Cool" - fail. "Keep Cool" - single success. Okay, threat's at 5. I pick up the small talk card, and terror is "Don't Test Me" I roll a 5, so a hostage would be killed (but I was SO close!). Instead, threat moves to 6. There's a conditional on it, so my last "small talk" card goes under the Major Demand stack (now at 4 cards).

Turn 8: No conversation cards. I pick up the two "Keep Cool" during the buy phase, and flip "The situation is worsening". Threat goes to "K" and Edward loses it and kills all the hostages.

FAILED.

Tough luck with this one. I think if you get unlucky with those early dice, it's just going to go downhill in a way that's almost impossible to recover from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 5

September 12th

Okay. The clock went past Midnight, so it's a new day and a new session. And I thought I was robbed during my last Edward attempt. So let's get him this time.

Turn 1:

Let's mix up the strategy a bit. "Small Talk" first. First one gets me one success, and I follow up with another which gets 2 successes. Looking good so far at 5 conversation points. Let's see if I can get a "What are your demands". First one fails, and threat increases to 4. Second one gets me a single success, and his demand is "Expose the System". It's a nice "get out of threat free" card.

During the buy, I'm grabbing two "Just stay calm" and a "What I Meant was". Terror this round is "Looks like we're back to square one"! Which is awesome actually! It means threat goes back down to 3.

Turn 2:

I concede "Expose the System" and add 2 hostages in the pool, and the new Demand is "Medical Care". More importantly, threat is 1, and I'm rolling 3 dice this turn.

"Keep Cool" - 1 success, threat is "S". "Keep Cool" - 1 success and a hostage freed! "Just Stay Calm" - 1 success. "Just Stay Calm" - another single success.

And when all is said and done, that means 3 hostages have been saved.

I pick up 4 zero cost cards during the buy phase, and flip "I'm Growing Impatient" followed by "The situation is worsening". That puts me at threat level 1.

Turn 3:

Let's chat, Edward. 2 "Small talk" with 1 success each. 4 conversation points. I discard both "What are your demand" cards for an addition 2 conversation points (no use risking raising the threat level).

With my 6 points, I purchase 2 "Just a Few more Minutes" and a "You need to trust me". I grab the 2 "Keep Cool" cards in the zero pile, and flip the terror card: "This is going nowhere". Threat moves to 2, and I'm down to 2 dice again.

Turn 4:

I play a "Keep Cool" and get threat down to 1 with a success. The second "Keep Cool" also gets me a success and threat is "S".

Buy phase allows me to pick up 4 zero cost cards, and I'm looking confident that I can concede the medical care next round if all goes well.

Terror phase: a "Don't Test me" is drawn, and I can't fail the roll.

Turn 5:

I play "You Need to Trust Me", and a double success means all the 4's rolled are successes this entire conversation! NICE.

I play "Small Talk" and roll 1, 2, 4. That's a success. CP (conversation points) now at 2. I play "Just a Few more minutes" and roll 2, 3, 4. That 4 gets me 3 more CP for a total of 5, and threat is at 1. (that "You Need to Trust Me" card is saving my bacon big time).

Another "Small Talk" and I roll 1, 2, 2. "What I meant was" rerolls the 1 and I get a success. I have 7 CP.

"Just a Few more minutes" and I roll 1, 1, 4. My heart almost dropped before I remembered 4's count as successes! Threat's up to 2, but CP goes up to 10.

I play the 2 "What are your demand" cards face down for a conversation point each, taking me to 12.

I concede Medical Care for Edward Quinn's son.

VICTORY - and a feel good one at that!

And a couple more achievements were earned that round:

1) Win a game in 5 turns or less
2) Win by Conceding Medical Care (Edward specific)

Tomorrow I will tackle Connor E. Ogden ! Or maybe I should do all the basic Crime Wave abductors before tackling packs 1-7. That would make Lijah Ramone next. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tomorrow I will tackle Connor E. Ogden ! Or maybe I should do all the basic Crime Wave abductors before tackling packs 1-7. That would make Lijah Ramone next. What do you think?

Sounds like you are ready for some packs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 6

September 13th

Connor E. Ogden is up to bat. I've never played him before, and I'm only JUST learning the rules specific to his pack today, so if you see that I've made an error of any kind, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

I've done all my setup, but the first confusing thing is this Tactics card. There are no rules for it under Ogden. Looking at the index card it is from Demand Pack #1.... and the rules for that are under miscellaneous. Okay. So it's a conversation card that I keep in my hand that is also a trigger. In this case, it's a safety net. If someone dies, they are saved instead. Nice.

Other than that, I just have to remember to play only 4 cards per turn (the example shows the discards for a roll of "4" count towards that limit - ouch!)

Anyways, let's get the show on the road.

Turn 1:

"What are you demands?" looks like a good idea. I throw the dice and get a 1 and a 4. I think its worth it to reveal these because of those nasty secondary abilities in the terror deck, so I discard a "Small Talk" and a "Keep Cool". I get the demand "Watch board members fly". What is this?! Wow. Hmm... do I still think its worth it to reveal demands early? Maybe not after seeing this card!

So, reveal the other demand, or try to cool him down? If I fail the other demand card, people are going to die pretty quickly, so let's go with the "Keep Cool" card. A success and a "4". Can't spend the cards for the 4, so a single success and threat goes down to 3.

No buys, and the terror phase is "I'm Growing Impatient" - very thematic, given Connor's portrait. Next card is "Don't Test Me". Great. I roll a dice and get a "2". Dead Hostage number 1. THEN I increase threat to 4 for the secondary effect since Connor's escape demand hasn't been revealed. I roll a die for flying board members and get a "6" so nobody else dies this turn.

Turn 2:

"What are your demands?" gets me a 4, 6. One success is good enough to reveal the escape demand as "Shut Down the Power City Wide". Looks like a Hail Mary card if things are going really poorly.

"Small Talk" is played and a 1, 4 is rolled. I gain 1 conversation point (CP).

During the buy phase, I get 4 freebies, plus I'll scoop "I'll buy you some time" for that single CP.

Terror phase gets me a Minor Demand: Water. I like this one. I roll for board members and get a "6" again. No one dies!

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" x 2. First one fails and the second get a single success. Threat's at 3 and CP is at -1.

I throw in a Small Talk and get a single success, and we're at 1 CP. I'll discard a "What are your demands?" for that 2nd CP and end it there.

During the buy phase, I'll grab a "Just Stay Calm" and get a couple of free cards. Terror phase gets me another "Don't Test Me". I roll a "3", and that's equal to the threat level, so another Hostage dies. I roll again for flying board members and roll a "6". (always a "6" for these rolls so far!)

Turn 4:

"Just Stay Calm" is first, and I roll a 5, 6. Two successes and I really needed them! I get 3 dice now, since threat is at 1!

"Small Talk" gets me 2 successes as well for 3 CP! Now I play "I'll buy you some time"... and the result is not so good. 2,2,3 come up on the dice. No more help from the insider. She's been discovered. I'm a bit greedy for CP, so "What are your demands?" is next and a roll of 1,4,4. I took a risk and got burned. Threat increases to 2.

I am going to buy the "Life Saving Net" for 3 CP and scoop 4 free cards. Terror phase gets me "I've taken more hostages". Oh! Haven't seen that one in these sessions yet! Roll of 4 adds 1 hostage to the pool. There's 8 left to rescue and 2 dead already.

Rolling for flying board members and I get a "1"!! Argh. Thank goodness I got the net. 1 saved hostage, but the net is gone.

Turn 5:

"Keep Cool" - 1 success, and threat's at 1. My second "keep cool" gets 2 successes and we're finally at the "S" plus we get a CP.

"Small Talk" gets two successes and I'm at 4 CP. I'll just discard the "What are your demands" for a 5th CP.

I'm buying 2 "Just Stay Calm" and a "What I Meant Was".

Terror is "This is going nowhere" and a 3rd Hostage is dead. But I'll automatically succeed for flying board members.

Turn 6:

"Just Stay Calm" - 1 success and another hostage is saved. I do it again, and another single success! "Small Talk" gets me no successes though and ends the conversation with 1 CP.

I buy the other "What I Meant Was" and grab 4 freebies. The Terror card is "Minor Demand: Media Coverage". No need to roll for board members again (threat is 0).

Turn 7:

Well, I could grab "All Units" and play the Water card, but that's quite a big risk. I think I'd be better off rescuing a few more and maybe using a sniper or a major extraction - much safer.

I play "Keep Cool" and get one success. I play the other "Keep Cool" and roll 2, 4, 4. I think it's worth the discard, so 2 "What are your demands" go bye-bye. I've played 4 cards, ending the conversation.

Right now there's 5 Saved Hostages, 2 in the Pool, and 3 are Dead.

The buy phase gets me a single "Small Talk". The Terror card is, unfortunately "When I find out who it is". I don't have access to the Internal Conversation cards, so he kills a hostage instead.

5 saved, 4 dead, 1 in the pool.

Turn 8:

Hail Mary? Either All Units or Major Extraction will win with a single success and I've got 2 rerolls. My alternative is to buy the card with the two "small talk" cards I've got left. But we've only got a couple of turns left. Ok. Hail Mary it is.

Concede Minor Demand: Water for the extra die. Now I roll 4 dice.
Concede Minor Demand: Media Coverage. I grab "Major Extraction" and threat goes up to 2. Back down to 3 dice on my rolls.

For the Major Extraction, I roll a 1,3,6. That rescues 2 hostages. Since only 1 hostage is in the pool, that means the 2nd hostage is capturing Connor E. Ogden himself!

VICTORY!

I really liked the first Abductor Pack. It was very thematic. It threw me for a bit of surprise with that "Watch Board Members Fly" demand
and the 4 card limit was challenging. I also didn't get to use many insider abilities due to a bit of bad luck there, but that was cool. As was the Life Saving Net from the demand pack.

Anyways, checking for achievements, it looks like I got one:

'Win without conceding "Retract Termination"'

(ha ha. I conceded practically every other demand though!)

Anyways, tomorrow night will be versus The Pederson Twins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hostage Negotiator had dental work yesterday, so the Abductors got a reprieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 7

September 16th

It's the night for the Pedersen Twins! Well, I admit I've been feeling a little bit daunted tackling this one, as the rules seem at first glance to be more complex than what I've seen before.

However, after going through the rules in detail, it seems much more straightforward than I had guessed. The unknown for me is what is inside a tactics card, or the new terror cards. I try not to "spoil" them by reading them in advance. I will be discovering them along the way.

Now, what IS in the rules is how when the first twin, Rolph, is killed/captured, the 2nd twin, Dolph, takes over and immediately kills all the hostages remaining, and removes all the red terror cards (presumably leaving me a single turn to figure out how to deal with him).

Knowing that, I will have to plan ahead to eliminate the 2nd twin. I think this means I will have to hold back a good "finale" card, like "Sniper, take the shot!". This might mean a bit of a delay getting rid of the first twin, Rolph, while building my hand up for Dolph. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

9 Hostages, and Threat starts at 5. This looks like a challenge. Let's get to it.

Turn 1:

I start play with "What are your demands?". I roll a double-6! (too bad I'm not playing vs Donna!). This grants me a conversation point, and I reveal the Pederson Twins major demand "We Just Want to Live". Wow. Looks like if threat is "S" and I have 10 conversation points, I automatically release all hostages and capture BOTH twins (basically, I WIN!). I think that will be my goal.

A second "What are your demands?" is a failure, and threat increases to 6. (yeah, that's not good).

Time to try to calm things down with a "Keep Cool". 1 success gets our threat back to 5.

I will finish the conversation with a "Small Talk" card and see if I can buy a few nice cards for next round. That's a failure as well, but it will garner me a conversation point.

My first buy round I will grab "Just Stay Calm".

Our first Red Terror card is... "The situation is worsening". Which is really awful, because we didn't succeed at flipping that Escape Demand. So, threat increases by TWO up to the "K". I had best start defusing this ASAP.

Turn 2:

Let's "Keep Cool"... or not (rolled 2,3). -1 conversation points (CP).

"Just Stay Calm" is played next, and I've gotten some luck here with 1 success, lowering threat to 6.

I will finish the conversation with a "Small Talk", hoping for a success. With 1 success, I get 2 CP, and my total CP goes to +1. That's enough for a "What I Meant Was", and a stack of four zero-cost cards.

My terror card is "Minor Demand: Food". I can ignore one conversation ender (Nice!), at the price of losing that conversation card. Situationally useful.

Turn 3:

"What are your Demands?" must be played. But I fail to roll a success. It's important enough that I play "What I Meant was". My reroll is also a fail. Threat is back at the "K".

Next card has to be "Keep Cool". Rolling 1 dice gets me a "6", and my bacon is saved again, and we are back to threat of 6.

I play the other "What are your Demands?" card. Once again a failure and threat is back to "K". Lots of work to go in circles.

"Small Talk" with a single dice gets me another fail, but it's worth 1 CP, with which I will buy a "What I Meant Was", along with 2 zero cards.

Terror card is "A moment of weakness" (wow! nice). 1 hostage saved!

Turn 4:

"Keep Cool" results in a failed roll, but a "What I Meant Was" rerolls the die and I get a success!! Threat is back to 6. Finishing with a "Small Talk" gets me not successes, but I have enough to buy the other "What I Meant was".

The terror card is the Minor Demand "Dolph wants Blood". I get to look at the two decide cards associated with this. I think in my situation, I must pick "Deceive Rolph", which sets aside 2 terror cards from the deck until I can pay the 4 conversation points to concede the minor demand. This puts me on a timer.

The other option, which increases threat by 1 every terror phase until the minor demand is resolved would have put me back to "K" this turn, and that would have been disastrous.

Turn 5:

"Keep Cool" rolls me a 1,2. I use "What I Meant was" and my reroll is a 4. This is important enough for me to ditch two cards (both "What are your demands). That takes threat to 5, where it started.

A "Small Talk" is all I've got left to play. I do so, and fail the roll. With the 1 CP, I buy "What I Meant Was"

Terror card is Minor Demand: Water. A nice card, but I've got to start picking up the pace.

Turn 6:

"Keep Cool" rolls me a 1,3. What I meant was gets me another 3. -1 CP. I will just hold on to the "Small Talk" card I have left. I have to get the CP I need soon to resolve Dolph's blood demand, and its best to have it in a burst.

Buy phase will get my hand up to 5 cards (all freebie cards). Terror is "Don't Test Me". With threat at 5 and a roll of "1", a hostage dies.

Turn 7:

2 red terror cards left, so I've GOT to get the CP I need to resolve Dolph's aggression.

I play "Small Talk" and get a single success for 2 CP. A second "Small Talk" also gets a single success. There's my 4 CP! I play them to concede "Dolph wants Blood" and get those 2 terror cards back.

Let's go with "Keep Cool", and the roll is 4,5. It's not worth it to discard the 2 cards for the extra success, so threat will simply ease down to 4. I will play both "What are your demands" face down for a total of 2 CP. With the CP, I will scoop "Just Stay Calm".

Terror is "Minor Demand: Give us the name of the informant". Which is a really cool card. But with only a few red terror cards left in the deck, I'm not sure if it will be worth it for the time.

Turn 8:

"Just Stay Calm" gets a single success and threat is at 3. "Keep Cool" rolls a 3,4. I have no other cards, so that's the end of the conversation.

Buy phase gets me a stack of zeroes.

The Terror phase has "The situation is worsening" and my hard work to get threat down starts to melt away. Threat is up to 4.

I think I will need a miracle to win this one.

.... and time out... just realized there's an unrevealed demand still - the escape demand. Threat is going to go to 5. Now, I looked back at the terror cards, and I think I should have also increased threat for the "Don't Test Me" card, making it 6. Looking back, it would not have affected number of dice rolled, so I haven't borked this game with my mistake.

Turn 9:

I play "Keep Cool" to get threat down. Rolling 2,6 and threat moves to 5.

Now, I'm going to need a few miracles with the conversation points, so I'll go ahead and use the Water demand now (probably should have used it before I rolled "Keep Cool"), and hopefully I can flood the board with conversation points.

"What are your demands?" rolls me a 1,1,2. Threat is up to 6, and normally the conversation ends, but I will concede "Minor Demand: Food" to stop that from happening, and remove that "What are your demands?" card from the game.

A second "What are your demands?" card rolls me 2, 3, 3. Threat is at "K".

Doesn't look like my game tonight. The rolls are really bad. I haven't even gotten many "4" results either, which is odd.

Anyways, as per the water card, the conversation ends.

The terror card is "I'm getting Angry" and 2 more hostages die.

Turn 10:

At this point, I think this is almost a guaranteed loss, but we'll see what we can do to save a couple people before the end.

"Keep Cool" is first - roll is a 4. probably worth it is discard the two small talk cards, so I do so and threat is 6 again.

Nothing to buy, and the terror card is "The situation is worsening" for +2 threat. That means threat is at "K" and another hostage killed. That's 4 so far - one more hostage dead and its an auto-loss.

Turn 11:

"Keep Cool" is a roll of 1, taking CP to -1.

"What are your demands" is played for a roll of "5", and I'll reveal the escape demand, which is the helicopter. At least the twins want to get away in style!

The Pivotal Event is revealed to be "You Didn't Come Through for Me". +1 threat for each unconceded demand in play. I count 3, so that's 3 more hostages killed.

And with 7 hostages dead, it is game over.

FAILURE

That was a TOUGH game. Lots of bad luck. We'll have to see if I can turn it around tomorrow night when I try The Pederson Twins yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 8

September 17th

I just think I got a raw deal with the dice last time around. I've been thinking about how to deal with the Pedersen Twins all day. I really think the key is keeping that threat low, and doing it quickly. I've also got to get really lucky and find out what those demands are.

Here goes!

Turn 1:

"Keep Cool" rolling 2,4. Expensive, but I'll use two other cards. Unusual, but I'll throw away both "What are your demands?" cards, since failures there lead to increased threat. Threat is down to 4.

Another "Keep Cool", rolling 3,5. The success gets threat down to 3. I'm pretty happy with this turn so far!

I'd like to purchase SOMETHING, so I'll go for a "Small Talk" and see how it goes: 1,4. Can't afford the two cards, so I get 1 conversation point (CP), and that's it for this turn's conversation.

With my CP, I'll buy "What I Meant Was".

The first terror card is flipped, and... it's awful. "Looks like we're back to square one". Threat goes back to 5. A waste of a lot of cards this turn.

Turn 2:

I've just got a single "Small Talk" to play. I roll 5,6. Two successes for 3 CP! During the buy phase, I'll scoop "Just Stay Calm" and the 2nd "What I Meant Was". And 5 other zero cost cards flood my hand!

Terror this turn is: Dolph Wants Blood. Looks like a replay of last game! Since its early in this game, I will definitely choose the "Deceive Rolph" option the tactics cards are presenting to me.

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" is played. I need that threat down, but not on the first card with a 1,2 rolled. I play a second one and get the same luck - 3,3 on the dice.

I'm going to switch to finding out the demands before playing "Just Stay Calm", which could end the conversation.

"What are your demands?" rolls me a 3,5. The major demands is "Extended Silence". This one is VERY interesting. It gives me a shot in the arm for penalties to my conversation points later in the game. Good to play on a turn when I've naught to do.

Another "What are your demands?" is played, and 3,6 is rolled and that will reveal the Escape Demand which is "Secret Passage". I've never seen this one before, but it is very interesting! When there are no more hostages in the pool, this triggers a threat roll. If this roll is failed the abductor escapes! I get bonus dice if there are lots of terror cards left.

Time for "Just Stay Calm", rolling 2,4. I reroll the 2 with "What I Meant Was" and that gets me a 1. Hmm.. I'll discard the two remaining cards (a "Small Talk" and a "What I Meant was") to get the success I need to reduce threat to 4. I couldn't risk missing the second reroll and threat going UP.

I get only a single "Small Talk" card during the buy phase.

Terror gets me "Your Time is Running Out".. lovely. Well, its not that bad because Dolph wants blood, actually. I have 5 red cards left in the Terror Pile, so I will have to discard 2 cards to get rid of this. I'd have to get rid of 2 cards anyway to shuffle it back in, so not a terrible outcome. "I'm growing impatient" and "This is going nowhere" are thrown into the discard pile from this effect.

Turn 4:

I'll concede "Extended Silence" for the 6 conversation points. I'll grab 2x "Just Stay Calm" and 2x "What I Meant Was". I'm hoping to get that threat down big time next turn.

Terror this turn is "This is Going Nowhere" and the first hostage dies. Dolph probably beat him to death.

Turn 5:

CP is at -1 due to the silence concession. I'll play "Just Stay Calm" first and I roll 1,5. Good enough to get threat to 3.

Next card played is another "Just Stay Calm" for 3,6. I'll play "What I Meant Was" and reroll the 3. This gets me a 6! YES. Threat is at 1, and that means we're rolling 3 dice now!

Time for "Keep Cool", rolling 1,3,4. I'll discard 2x"What are your demands" to get the success I need and threat is at "S". Another "Keep Cool" rolls 1,2,5. The single success SAVES our first hostage!

I'll try to play my 2 "Small Talk" cards now, because if I don't and play them next turn, I'll be flooded with cards the turn afterwards.

First one played rolls 4,5,6. Two successes and CP is at 2. Second one rolls me 2,5,6 on the dice and CP is at FIVE!

With 5, I'll grab a "Bold Lie" card. The extra CP is wasted. This is a bit of a gamble (no successes is pretty disastrous), but 2 successes will turn the game around.

Terror is "I'm getting Angry", putting threat at 2, and I'm down to 2 dice. No better way to say it than "there goes my next turn!".

Turn 6:

Can I risk the bold lie with 2 dice and a reroll? And, I've got a single red card left in the terror deck. SCARY.

Time to make the move. "Bold Lie" is played. The roll is 1,6. I spend a "What I meant was" to reroll the 1. The result is another 1. But, threat is at 1 again, so we're at 3 dice.

The last red terror card is "Hostage Escape Attempt". My threat roll for the card is 3,4,6. Success! A hostage made it out!

Totals are: 2 hostages saved, 1 killed, and 6 in the pool.

Turn 7:

I have GOT to get the Dolph demand out of there!

With 3 dice, I'll risk a "Small Talk". The roll is 2,3,3. I GUESS I Shouldn't have taken that risk. It might have cost me the game. The conversation is over.

Buy phase picks me up 5 cards from the zero costers. And The pivotal event card is.... "Change of Plans". Ouch. This one is awful, 1 less dice on each roll for the rest of the game.

Turn 8:

"Small Talk" rolls a 1,6. That gets my CP to +1. I'll play 2x"What are your demands" and a single "Keep Cool" face down to get 3 more CP for a total of 4, allowing me to concede "Dolph wants Blood".

I assume the game doesn't end at the end of the turn because I put 2 red terror cards back on top of that deck? (I'll check the rules later)

I've got a single "Keep Cool" card left, which I play and roll 1,2. CP goes down to -1. A "Small Talk" goes into my hand during the buy phase.

Terror card this turn is "I've taken more hostages". I roll a 4, and 1 more goes into the pool.

The tally is: 2 hostages saved, 1 dead, 7 in the pool.

Turn 9:

I will play my small talk. I roll 3,4. Nothing. 5 cards go back to my hand for free, and the terror card is "The situation is worsening". Threat goes to 2, and I can only roll 1 dice at a time next turn (my last turn).

Turn 10:

"Keep Cool" and I roll a 4. I play another "Keep Cool" for a success, and threat is at 1. But, the rest of my cards are all conversation related, so I'll just end it here.

FAILURE

So, what's going on here? With a high number of starting hostages paired with a high initial threat, they are a force to be reckoned with. Add to that the delaying terror card "Dolph Wants Blood" and the squeeze on the timer is lethal. (it didn't help this time getting "Your time is running out", "looks like we're back to square one" and "I've taken more hostages")

Can the Pedersen Twins be beat? I will go up against them again tomorrow night to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 9

September 18th

Alright. We've lost against the Pedersens twice now. But, to keep things from dragging on forever, I'm just going to make up a rule on the spot and SKIP an abductor if I've lost against them 3 times in a row. Once I've gotten through the rest of the abductors, I'll revisit the skipped abductors at the end.

I think that keeps things from getting too stale, and it provides me a little more variety.

Ok. So, this will be our last try against the Perdersens before moving on.

Turn 1:

"What are your demands?", Mr Pedersen? 6,6! WHOA! 2 successes! It seems like I rarely see that on 2 dice these days. Conversation Points (CP) goes up to +2, and "Return the Drugs" is revealed.

This demand is nifty. Get a quick boost to threat, or rescue a hostage, but you've got to pay 1 CP each turn thereafter or threat increases. Best played later in the game to push something over the edge.

I'll try another "What are your demands?", and a 5,3 appears on the dice. Success, and I'll flip that escape demand showing me the helicopter. That's a good card for a juicy finale!

I'll keep those "keep cool" in reserve for next turn, but meantime, I'll try to boost those conversation points.

"Small Talk" is next and the roll is 3,4. I don't think it's worth discarding cards for that, so CP is 3, and the conversation ends. I will buy a "Just Stay Calm" and "What I Meant was".

Terror card for the first turn is "Dolph is Angry". Wow. This card is pretty amazing! I get a free sniper shot on Dolph but threat goes up by 3 (unless I discard cards)... OR... I can discard one good card and not worry about the threat.

Well... I've got a "What I Meant Was" and I just need one success. I choose "If you have the shot...".

Resolving "Sniper, take the Shot!" and I roll 3,4. I will use "What I Meant was" to reroll the 3. It becomes a 4.

Now... we have some meaningful (and difficult choices). I can discard 2 cards to kill Dolph. And I can discard 2 more to save 2 hostages. But if I do that, threat hits the "K" and a hostage dies.

I think I'll just kill Dolph with 1 success, by discarding "Small Talk" and "Keep Cool". Dolph is Dead.

Now that +3 threat will need to be mitigated. I will discard my "Keep Cool" and "Just Calm Down" cards, and threat will increase to 6.

Turn 2:

I've got no cards. Conversation ends!

Buy phase, I scoop 3 freebies, and then the ones I spent in the last terror phase become available.

Terror phase is "Minor Demand: Dolph Wants Blood". Hmmm... how does that work? Thematically, it certainly shouldn't be here, since Dolph is dead.

=====================================================================
I think its time to check what happens here in an FAQ. I'll continue the game and edit the rest of this post shortly.
=====================================================================

Okay. I'm back, and according to the designer, in this thread: Re: Dolph Wants Blood?! But...But...Dolph is Dead!
Dolph is dead, so I can ignore the card. Whew! Great, because that is a TOUGH one.

Turn 3:

"Small Talk" time, rolling 5,5! Two successes gets me 3 CP!

"What are your demands" is too risky to roll on, as failure gets me +1 threat (and into the K), so I'll just discard those for 1 CP each.

That's 5 CP in the pool. That will buy me 2x "Just Stay Cool" and a "What I Meant Was". I've got two "Keep Cool" and a "Small Talk" coming too, so 4 threat reduction cards next turn. Just hope threat doesn't go up in the terror phase, and things are looking OK.

Terror phase gets me... "The Situation is worsening". Looks like I jinxed it!! Threat goes up to "K".

Turn 4:

"Keep Cool" with one dice. It's a 5! Success and threat is 6 again. (I needed that one...bad)

"Keep Cool" again: 1,4. I will reroll the 1 with "What I Meant Was". Its a 3. (these reroll cards rarely seem to work for me... sigh). I won't spend the 2 cards.

Instead I'll roll a "Just Stay Calm", which gets me a 6,4. No use pushing it. I will discard the other 2 cards to reduce threat by -2, getting it to 4.

Buy phase gets me freebies, and terror this round is "The situation is worsening". Terror is up to 5. (I really don't like these cards! lol).

Turn 5:

"Small Talk" rolls 1,2. +1 CP and the conversation is done. I'll buy "What I Meant Was" and scoop a fist of freebies.

Terror is "Your Time is Running Out"... I just lost 2 turns that I badly needed. There's 5 red terror cards, so I discard 2. First one is "The situation is worsening" The second one is "Minor Demand: Media Coverage". I'm happy to see the first one go, but that Minor Demand could have won me the game to grab an All Units or Major Extraction (coupled with the helicopter). Oh well. It's done.

Turn 6:

"Keep Cool" with a 1,4. I discard two "What are your demands" cards for the success. Threat is now 4.

A 2nd "Keep Cool" gets me a 1,2. I reroll the 1 with "What I meant was" and get a 4. "keep Cool"? Yeah, NO. My rolls are NOT COOL.

"Small Talk" is the last card and I'll just hold onto it.

But phase buts the other "Small Talk" card into my hand and terror is "This is Going Nowhere". 1st hostage dead. Another perfect game ruined!

Turn 7:

My first "Small Talk" gets me a roll of 1,2. "What I Meant Was" is purchased.

Terror card is "Don't Test Me". A roll of 2 means another hostage dies.

2 dead hostages, and 7 waiting to be saved.

Turn 8:

"Keep Cool" with a 4,6 puts threat down to 3.

Another "Keep Cool" with 4,6 gets it to 2!!

I'll discard 2 "What are your demands" cards for 2 CP and purchase "Just a Few More Minutes".

Terror phase is here, and it comes in with vengeance! "I'm getting Angry" and threat goes up to 4.

Turn 9:

Next turn is that last turn. I've got to eliminate the abductor and rescue at least 5 hostages. I can get 1 hostage with 2 CP via "Return the drugs", and I can get 4 more with a perfect "All units get in there now". I just have to hope for the pivotal event to be decent and have perfect rolls!

First up is "Just a few more minutes". 1,5. I'll save the reroll for a failure. Threat increases to 5, and CP is +3.

The first "Small Talk" is up, and I roll 3,5. The success gets CP up to 5.

The last "Small Talk" and I roll a 1,2. I think that means this will end as game over. I will use "What I Meant Was" for a reroll. It's a 5, and the success gets CP to 7.

After thinking a lot, two minor extractions could get me the hostages I need, but I have no way of capturing Rolph. Or I grab the sniper card, but that means I save only 2, and a 2nd in command comes into play.

I'll grab the 2 Minor Extractions and a What I Meant Was. I won't win, but I'll try to save the maximum number of people.

The Pivotal Event is : "I'm Not Buying It" - and I've got to put a Minor Extraction back.

Turn 10:

Last turn. Since I can buy cards during this turn to use... does that mean I get all the zero cards back? If so this is possible.

================
rule checking
================

Okay, it seems I have been playing HN wrong for a while now. You DO get all the zero cards in hand. This is now VERY possible.

I'm discarding 2 "Keep Cool" cards and 2 "What are your Demands" for +4 CP. I will spend those to concede the helicopter demand. (+2 dice!).

Now a small talk: 1,1,6,6 2 successes means +3 CP!

Another Small Talk: 1,2,5,6. 2 success gets CP up to 6!

I will pay 4 CP to buy 2x"Just a few more minutes". Leaving me with 2 CP.

First "Just a Few More minutes" roll 1,2,5,5. 2 successes and CP is back to 6!

Second "Just a Few More Minutes" roll of 2,3,3,5. Threat goes to 6, and CP goes to 9. Now everything has to be perfect rolls...

"Minor Extraction" is our next card: 1,5,5,5. Double success saving 2 hostages! 2 saved, 2 dead, 5 in the pool. I will increase CP to 10 by discarding my "What I Meant Was".

I will concede "Return the Drugs" by spending 2 CP (down to 8), and using it to rescue a hostage. 3 hostages saved, 2 killed, 4 in the pool.

With the 8 CP, I will purchase "All units, get in there, NOW!"

I will play it, and it all comes down to this roll! If I get two successes on 4 dice, I will win!

"All units, get in there, NOW!" - rolling ...

... and I get a 1,1,5, and a cocked die (no, I'm not doing this for dramatic effect - it's real).

The cocked die is rolled and lands on a 4.

That means 3 hostages saved, and threat increases by 3. Rolph kills the last hostage and gets away.

Tally was 6 saved, 3 killed. And I was a single success from winning.

FAILURE

I had some good luck with the dice this time, but it wasn't enough. I think "Your Time is Running Out" really messed me over (again). In this case it reduced the timer and threw out one of the best Minor Demands available. With the Pedersen twins, every turn is precious.

As I mentioned above, it's time to move on to our next Abductor tomorrow night - Lieutenant Jackson! We'll put the Pedersen twins at the end of the queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 10

September 20th

Lieutenant Jackson! You're up! Alright. This is my first time encountering Lieutenant Jackson. As usual, I don't read the cards in advance unless they are in the rules, so I don't know what's coming.

First thing is adding the Stockholm terror cards, which are unique to this scenario. The number you add determines difficulty, so I will add 3 which is "Normal" level. I guess that means there are 13 red terror cards in the deck now. (Yeah! More time!). I also need to add one of the hostages to the Stockholm card.

And the big rule is that a hostage CANNOT DIE, or I lose. So, it seems the "Lieutenant, you don't want to do this!" card is key, as it replaces the kill effect with putting the hostage on the Stockholm card.

Without further ado, let's FIRE IT UP!

Turn 1:

Let's start with "What are your Demands?" so I know what I'm dealing with here. I grab the 2 dice that look the luckiest, and roll them for 3,5. One success reveals one of two major starting demands, which is "Find the Corruption".

It seems this card puts them back into the hostage pool. The starting wording "When revealed, remove any other revealed Major Demand cards from the game" is odd. I wonder if I reveal the other Major Demand it will do the same? Probably. So is revealing the other demand a waste? I don't think so, because unrevealed demands add those nasty secondary effects.

Another "What are your Demands?", rolling 1,4. I could spend this, but I don't think I will.

I definitely need a CP for insurance against dead hostages, so I'll play "Small Talk" next. The result is 1 success, and enough for 2 CP.

Next card will be a "Keep Cool", but I roll 1,1 - big failure, and CP goes down to 1. I'll keep it there - enough to buy the insurance "Lieutenant, you don't want to do this!" and that will be my whole buy round.

Terror this turn is Minor Demand: Water. I like it!

Turn 2:

I will play a "Small Talk" first and roll 3,5. I'm up to 2 CP. I might as well try to get him to "Keep Cool" and a 1,5 does just that! Threat decreases to 2. With my 2 CP, I will buy 2 "What I Meant Was" and get flood of cards into my hand.

Terror this turn is "Stockholm Syndrome". I've got to roll a die and the result is 4. That's more than the threat level, so a hostage goes onto the Stockholm card. Ah-ha. That's how it works. The better I'm doing, the more these will affect things. Also, the card says to draw an additional terror card... so my original presumption that I had more time is bubkus.

2nd terror card is Minor Demand: Media Coverage! Whoa! 2 nice cards in a row!

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" Lt Jackson! with a roll of 1,6, he does just that. Threat goes to 1, and we're rolling 3 dice from now on!

"What are your Demands" is next and I roll 5,6,6. No bonus for 3 successes? Shucks. 2 is good enough. I put my CP to 2 and I reveal the Major Demand "Find evidence to absolve me of murder".

As suspected, I have to get rid of the other major demand. And to be honest, I liked the original one better. I have to discard 2 conversation cards to pull a SINGLE hostage from Stockholm to the hostage pool now. Before, I could discard a 4 cost card to clear the whole Stockholm card.

Next conversation card will be "Small Talk" and I will roll 4,4,6. I will keep it at 1 success, and that takes CP up to 4.

I will discard a "What are your demands" and a "What I Meant Was" to concede the "Find Evidence" and move a hostage. I suspect if I don't start doing this gradually, I won't be able to do it all at once later.

Buy phase with 4 CP. What to get? I guess threat is low, so keep it that way and go with a strategy where I reduce the threat and get hostages released. I'll grab 2 "Stay Calm"

Terror is Minor Demand: Food 3 turns in a row! Lt Jackson's is obviously still a cop at heart!

Turn 4:

"Keep Cool" rolling 3,6,3. One success and threat is "S"
"Just Stay Calm". I roll 1,2,5. A single success rescues our first hostage!

"Just Stay Calm" again, but I roll 1,2,3. Time to use the "What I Meant Was". The reroll is a 4. Now... I COULD gamble this by throwing away my last 2 cards, but that means my "Lieutenant, you don't want to do this". You know what? no guts no glory. I discard. Another hostage saved. Hopefully this isn't my last turn!

No purchase points, just the freebies.

Terror this turn is "Stockholm Syndrome". The 2nd terror card is "I've taken more hostages". I roll a 5, so just one more. Well, I didn't mess this up by drawing a terror card that kills a hostage!

At end of turn, the status is: 2 saved hostages, 2 Stockholm hostages, and 6 in the pool.

Turn 5:

First off, I will discard the 2 "What are your demands" to move a Stockholm hostage back into the pool.

I'll play "Small Talk" next, and roll 2,3,3. End of conversation, but I get 1 CP, and I'll use it to buy the "Lieutenant, don't" card.

Terror this turn is "Hostage Escape Attempt". I roll 4,4,6, and our 3rd hostage has made it out alive!

Turn 6:

"Keep Cool" rolls 1,3,3. Hmm.. CP at -1. Let's try that again. The roll this time is 1,2,3. Well, with rolls like that, this game might take a turn for the worst.

I think small talk would be a waste with CP sitting at -2, so I'll hold onto it and proceed with this disaster of a turn.

Terror is "The Situation is Worsening" (yes it is). Threat goes up to 1.

Turn 7:

Discard 2 "What are your demands" to concede "Find Evidence" and recover a hostage from the Stockholm Tracker back to the pool.

I'll roll a 1,2,5 for "Small Talk" getting me 2 CP. I will do it again, and the roll is 3,4,4, and I'll end the conversation and bump CP to 3.

With my 3, I'll buy a "Just Stay Calm" and a "What I Meant Was" card.

Terror this turn is "This is going nowhere" and normally a hostage would die, but I'll play my "Lieutenant, you don't want to do this" to put them on the Stockholm tracker instead.

Turn 8:

Wow. Turn 8 already? I've got a lot of work to do!

I'm going to concede water, to get a 4th dice.

First card is "Just Stay Calm" and the roll is 4,4,5,6. That means threat is back to S and another hostage is saved.

"Keep Cool" is next and my roll is 1,3,4,6. Good enough for one more saved hostage.

Another "keep Cool" and the roll is 1,3,3,5. Which is pretty good.

That's 6 total hostages saved so far. 3 in the pool and 1 on the Stockholm track.

I'll go for the gusto and concede media coverage to pick up "All units, get in there NOW!" I think it's worthwhile since a single success grabs me all 3 remaining hostages in the pool, and I've got the reroll card.

Sadly my dice go from 4 to 3 since I'm at 2 threat now.

I play the card and get 2,3,4. I reroll the 2 and get a 1. Abductor escapes. Damn. I played that a little loose and got burned for it.

FAILURE

I think if I'd kept that original Major Demand card, I would have had an easier time grabbing hostages from the Stockholm card. Although this one allowed me to control the flow better. Also, my bold move at the end there was still vulnerable to a hostage death in the terror deck due to a lack of "Lieutenant, don't" cards.(and for chuckles, I flip the next terror card and its Stockholm syndrome, followed by "This is going nowhere" - so, yes, I would have lost anyways).

Now that I know what to look for, I'll be a little more careful next time I try Lt. Jackson.

Note: I might not do these every day from here out, but I'd say on average every other day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 11

September 21th

We're going to crush Lt. Jackson tonight. I think I almost had him yesterday and I've got some new ideas to try out tonight.

Once again, we're going with Normal difficulty, putting 3 Stockholm Syndrome cards in the deck.

Turn 1:

Let's get that threat down again. There are incentives to keep it on an even keel, but rolling an extra dice really makes a difference.

"Keep Cool" is played. The roll is 5,6. Wow. Threats at 2 now, and CP is +1.

"Keep Cool" is played again.. Rolling 3,6, means a success, and threat is now 1. I can roll 3 dice from here on out!

"What are your demands" is next. I roll 3,4,4. I don't want to increase threat here, so I'll discard the other demands card, and a "Small Talk" to succeed. The demand I reveal is "Find the Corruption". I quite like that one, and maybe I'll keep it around.

During the buy phase, I'll grab "Lieutenant, don't do this!".

First terror card is "Minor Demand: Water". Nice! (did I shuffle the deck well enough from last session?)

Turn 2:

I've really just got a "Small Talk" to play. I roll 4,4,4. Well... at least it's 1 CP. With the CP, I'll buy "What I Meant Was", and grab 5 cheap cards.

Terror this turn is "Stockholm Syndrome" and with a roll of 6, a hostage goes on the Stockholm board.

Next terror card is "Time is Running Out". Man... THAT is discouraging this early. There's 10 red terror cards, so there's no way I'm discarding 5 cards. Instead, I'll discard 2 cards, and this one goes back in the deck. The 2 discarded cards are "I'm Growing Impatient" and "I'm getting angry" (Good ones to get rid of!)

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" roll a single success, and threat goes to "S". Another "Keep Cool" and a 1,4,6 means a hostage is saved!

I'll play a "Small Talk" and a single success gets me +2 CP. And I'll discard 2 "What are your Demands" cards to get CP up to +4.

With 4 CP, I'll grab "An Empty Promise" - that's going to be my Stockholm clearer.

Terror this phase is "Minor Demand: Media Coverage" - which is the best card. Awesome.

Turn 4:

"Small Talk", and the roll is awful, so I fail and get 1 CP. I'll buy the other "Lieutenant, don't!" card and leave it at that.

Terror is "I've taken more hostages", and a roll of 6 adds 1 single one to the pool.

Turn 5:

"Keep Cool" gets me 3,3,4. I've got to discard the 2 cards and it saves another hostage as a result.

Another "Keep Cool" gets me 3,3,4. I use "What I Meant Was" to reroll one of those and its a 3. I'm going to let it slide. CP is -1.

I'll just draw a terror card and it is Stockholm Syndrome. A 3rd hostage joins the first two on the Stockholm card. After that, "The situation is worsening" and threat is up to 2.

Turn 6:

Two Small Talks, but only 2 dice each. Let's roll 'em. First one rolls 1,3 and ends the conversation.... MAN, I think I've blown through a lot of cards without a success it seems. A good start has been bogged down.

With 1 CP, I'll get the "What I Meant was". Terror is "These Hostages... they are on MY side", and threat increases to 5. That's certainly a tough card to deal with. Time to shift strategy and not focus so much on threat, I think.

Turn 7:

"Small talk" - a single success for 2 CP.

I'll play 1 "Keep Cool" to keep threat reasonable. And a 1,5 reduces it to 4. I will discard "keep Cool" and 2 "What are your demands" for 3 more CP (now +5). During the buy, I'll grab a "Minor Extraction" and a "just a few more minutes" card.

Terror this round is "I'm Growing Impatient", followed by "Don't Test Me". I roll a 2 and a hostage would die, but I stick him on the Stockholm tracker with "Lieutenant, you don't want to do this". Since there's an unrevealed demand, threat is up to 5 again.

Turn 8:

I concede "Find the corruption" by discard "an empty promise" and put the 4 hostages on Stockholm back into the pool.

I'll concede the water this turn, because I can't really have any bad rolls with threat that high.

First up is the Minor extraction: I roll 2,2,3. What I meant was rerolls a 3. BAD BAD rolls. Hostage dies, but I'll save it with "Lieutenant, don't", and conversation ends.

Terror cards reveal: Stockholm Syndrome. I roll a 5. Threat is 5, so another hostage on the Stockholm track. (did I mention bad rolls yet?). The last red terror card is flipped. It is "Time is running out" and has no effect. Next turn is the pivotal event.

Turn 9:

Let's go with "What are your demands". The current Stockholm remover is a bit too expensive. I roll 3,6 for a success. Hopefully, I get a relatively cheap way of getting hostages off that card. The result is "Find Evidence against the Murderer". 3 CP to get a hostage off that card. That's actually not cheap at all! Okay.

I play "Keep Cool", get 4,4. -1 CP.
another "keep cool", get 3,4. now at -2 CP.

Small talk gets me 1 success to 0 CP.
another Small talk get me 1 success to +2 CP
I'll play "Just a Few more minutes" and hope. the roll is 2,4. So, no CP here, and threat goes up to "K".

I'll discard "what are your demands" to get me to 3 CP, and move a hostage off the Syndrome tracker.

Pivotal Event is... "Last Chance. Make it Quick!" and I've got to discard "What are your demands" and a "Keep Cool"

Turn 10:

1 dice with "keep cool" and I get a 6. Threat is at 6 now and I get 2 dice on future rolls.

"Small Talk" with 2 dice gets me 3,6 and the success gets me 2 CP.

Another "Small Talk" rolls 1,6, and CP is now 4. With the 4, I'll grab a minor extraction and a What I Meant was. Its the best way to rescue at least a couple of hostages. I could try to ladder up by getting "Just a few more minutes"x2, and hoping for double successes on each one, but the 10 possible CP is just not enough anyways, and getting there is almost insurmountable.

rolling a minor extraction gets me 1,5. I reroll the 1 with "What I Meant Was" and get a 5. 2 successes and 2 hostages are rescued!

I've got a "What are your Demands?" card left. I'll roll on it and 2 successes appear (What?!)

Now I'll buy and roll for "Just a Few More Minutes" and the result is 4,6. 1 success for +3 CP and threat hits "K".

With the 3 CP I'll buy the other minor extraction and roll a single die, getting a 5. Another hostage saved, and then Lieutenant Jackson kills one, ending the scenario.

FAILURE

Overall, 5 hostages saved, 4 left in the pool, and 1 on the Stockholm card.

It's tough to win this one with bad luck streaks. I don't think you need to be particularly lucky, but I think you need make consistent progress throughout the game.

And, and 2 achievements are unlocked! "Concede both major demands at least once in a single game" and "Move two hostages off of the SST in 1 turn".

I think that last one is pretty much going to be automatic if you've conceded Find the Corruption.

I've seen all 3 demand cards now, and I definitely think that the "gentlest" of them is the "Find Evidence" card that allows you to slowly plug away at the SST.

One more attempt at Lieutenant Jackson, then we move on. I might do it after this weekend is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 12

September 27th

Last crack at Lt. Jackson. Can we outwit a fellow police officer?

Let's find out.

Turn 1:

I think cooling the threat is the way to go.

"Keep Cool" is played first. With 4,4 rolled, I decide to discard 2 "What are your demands?" cards to get the success. Threat moves down to 2.

Another "Keep Cool" is played and the roll is 3,6. The success pulls threat to 1 and we'll be rolling 3 dice!

I'll play a single "Small Talk" to at least pick up another conversation card. I roll 2,5,6. 2 successes gives me 3 CP.

With 3 CP, I'll pick up a "Lieutenant, do you want to do this?" as well as a "Just Stay Calm".

Our first terror card is "The situation is worsening". Since we have unrevealed demands, threat is going up by 2, hitting 3. A lot of progress lost with that card, and we're down to 2 dice again.

Turn 2:

I will give "Just Stay Calm" a go. 3,3 is rolled, and threat goes up to 4. In addition, the conversation is over. Not a good result.

Nothing to buy, but I'll get a lot of free conversation cards. I'll flip the terror card and it is "The Situation is Worsening" again... Threat increases to 6. (this is not looking good, lol).

Turn 3:

"Keep Cool" rolls 3,5. Threat is down to 5.
Another "Keep Cool" rolls 4,6. And threat is down to 4.
"What are your demands" is played next, but a 1,3 just raises threat to 5.
Another "What are your demands" card and a roll of 3,4 gives me a really hard choice. With only 3 cards left, I think I will keep them since they are "Small Talk" cards and I will need new conversation cards. Threat goes up to 6.

"Small Talk" is played and 1,2 is rolled. A failure ends the conversation, but at least I'm left with a CP. With that I'll buy a "What I Meant Was".

Terror this time is Stockholm Syndrome, and a roll of 1 means no effect.

The next card is "Hostage Escape Attempt" and 5,6 is rolled and a hostage gets away! (At least I won't be skunked!)

Turn 4:

Just a "Small Talk" to play this round. A single success gets me 2 successes, and I'll grab a "Just Stay Calm" during the buy phase. And I get a flood of free cards.

Terror phase gets me Minor Demand: Media Coverage. (yeah!)

Turn 5:

"Keep Cool" is first, and a success gets threat to 5. Another "Keep Cool" is not so lucky and we're at -1 CP.

"What are your demands" is next, and a roll of 3,4. I'll reroll the 3 with a "What I Meant Was" since I'm feeling a sense of urgency about this. The reroll is a 3. I'll let it fail and threat is at 6 again.

"What are your demands" once again and 1,4 is rolled. With my dwindling cards, I can't really let this fail. I'll throw away a Small Talk and (more dangerously) a "Lieutenant, you don't...". The Major Demand revealed is "Find evidence against the real murderer".

Nothing to buy, and terror this turn is "Don't Test Me". Since Terror is at 6, this is an autofail (I rolled anyway, it was a 4). Since I took a risk and threw away my lifeline, a hostage is killed and the game is over.

FAILURE

1 hostage saved, 1 dead.

In our next session, hopefully we'll do better against Gonzalo Herrera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 13

October 1st

Gonzalo Herrera. I looked through the cards and thought "is this like the movie Speed?". Well, not quite. Herrera is a drug runner who is escaping the country in a bus and has a bus full of hostages.

Setup is really interesting. The Bus starts out in a moving condition. There is a location deck, and one of them is revealed. My first location is "Desert" - which means I cannot spend Conversation Points (CP), but they don't reset either.

The rules say I can't take out the abductor if the bus is moving either. I see that the two tactics cards allow me to flip the bus to a stopped state.

Well, this looks very interesting. So, let's get it started shall we?

Turn 1:

"Keep Cool" is first. And 5,5! Two successes! Threat is down to 2, and CP goes up to zero (it starts at -1 because the bus is moving).

Another "Keep Cool" and a roll of 2,5. Which is GREAT. We are at 3 dice since threat decreased to 1.

"What are your Demands?" 1,4,5. A success and I flip over "I need a faster bus!". Looks interesting - I can pay some points to free 3 hostages, but it will make the terror cards flip into the discard at double the rate. VERY dangerous, but if I'm close to victory, it can be very useful.

Another "What are your demands?" and I roll 1,4,5 (the exact same as before). The success allows me to flip "Get rid of the choppers", which allows me to flip when the -1 conversation penalty applies.

I'll play both Small Talks, because there's no use holding onto them if I cannot spend CP. First roll is 3,3,6. Second roll is 2,5,5. That equals a total of 5 CP added to the CP pool.

Can't spend CP for anything as per rules, so I flip the terror card and get "Don't Test Me". The only way to lose this is to roll a one. I actually roll a 6, and everything is ok.

Turn 2:

No cards, so there's no conversation. CP goes down to 4 as per the rules. Again, I can't spend them, but I least I pick up the free cards. I have to flip a terror card: It is "Minor Demand: Media Coverage" which is awesome. I know exactly what that will be used for - likely a sniper shot!

Turn 3:

CP goes down to 3. I will discard "Small Talk" and 2 "What are your Demands" to grab "Field Tactics: Detour". I will play it immediately. My roll is not so good. 2,2,4. I don't think I'll get very far with the current location, so I'll actually discard both "Keep Cool" cards to discard the currently location.

Rules question is... if I discard the location, do I draw the next one underneath? or wait for some effect to do so? So, I will take a pause to check the forums.

Turn 3 through 9:

Sadly, while editing this (and playing), the browser's hotkey for "back" was pressed, and everything was lost. I will try to summarize what happened afterwards, rather than play by play.

I recall the rest of turn 3 because it was so successful. I played a Small Talk, and got CP up to 6. With that I bought 2 "Just Stay Calm" and a "Minor Extraction"

I spent all of those cards on the following turn, and that got 2 hostages saved, and threat done to 1 (it would have been better but one of those "Stay Calm" cards failed).

During the next turns, I was very unlucky with the conversation cards that granted CP. Often I would fail a "Keep Cool", and with CP at -2, it wasn't worth it to continue, or I would fail a "Small Talk" and the conversation would end at 0 CP.

I got both "I'm growing Impatient" cards, and these put a squeeze on the game. I was lucky enough to have a hostage escape attempt succeed.

But when the next location was revealed to be the Cliffs, things started to go downhill. The very next terror card was "we're back to square one", and a second timer was on. A hostage was also killed due to "This is Going Nowhere". I was also lucky enough to get minor demands for water and media coverage.

When the last red card was left, there were 3 hostages saved, 1 killed and 5 in the pool. Threat was at 4, but I had a bit of a plan. I had to stop the bus, and rescue 5 hostages.

So, I planned to buy the Road Block by discarding 6 cards on my next turn. During the pivotal, I'd play it, and grab the All units, and roll with the water. I'd have to find some way to grab that last hostage. With 6 free cards, hopefully I could pick up a minor extraction.

But it was not to be. The last red card was the "He's on the Move" and that flipped the "Cliffs" location to the "Forest" location. Unfortunately, that meant I couldn't discard cards to grab the Road Block.

Instead I had to gamble by discarding for the detour.

The pivotal event was the one giving me one less die. It was still possible (with a lot of luck), but after I conceded water to get my dice back up to 2, I decided to roll for the Detour. It was a failure and per the water concession, the end of the conversation and the game.

Gonzalo Herrera made it back to Mexico.

FAILURE

Hopefully he let off the other 5 hostages in Mexico somewhere!

This time around, I started off lucky, but it went poorly afterwards.

We'll try again tomorrow. Now that I know some of the location cards and mechanics on this one, I might be able to formulate a better plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if I discard the location, do I draw the next one underneath? or wait for some effect to do so?

No. Only draw another location when advised to do so. In other words, you can have no location in play if the current one is discarded and you are not advised to draw a new one.

Also, did you buy and play a tactics card during the conversation? Much like Conversation cards, tactics cards can only be purchased during the spend phase. While you do not need to spend CP (and can get around desert in this way) you still have to discard the cards during the spend phase to acquire them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:

No. Only draw another location when advised to do so. In other words, you can have no location in play if the current one is discarded and you are not advised to draw a new one.

Also, did you buy and play a tactics card during the conversation? Much like Conversation cards, tactics cards can only be purchased during the spend phase. While you do not need to spend CP (and can get around desert in this way) you still have to discard the cards during the spend phase to acquire them.

That was a zippy response!

I actually spent this during the conversation phase (the discard 3 cards) and played it during the same phase. Nice to know it was wrong.

The only other question I had was for the Cliff. If the red terror "Looks Like we're back to square one" results in threat moving from 1 up to 3, I thought this was the same as "threat increasing" on the Cliff card, and did not trigger it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:

That was a zippy response!

I actually spent this during the conversation phase (the discard 3 cards) and played it during the same phase. Nice to know it was wrong.

The only other question I had was for the Cliff. If the red terror "Looks Like we're back to square one" results in threat moving from 1 up to 3, I thought this was the same as "threat increasing" on the Cliff card, and did not trigger it.

Yes, that was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Status Update!

Here's how we have fared so far (in order of games played):

Arkayne Massua thumbsdown thumbsup
Donna Scarborough thumbsup
Edward Quinn thumbsdown thumbsup
Connor E. Ogden thumbsup
Pedersen Twins thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
Lieutenant Jackson thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown
Gonzalo Herrera thumbsdown

Looks like I'm finding the packs tougher than the abductors in the box. Will that trend continue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session 14

October 2

Okay. So session 13 didn't go so well. What did I expect? 13!

Let's get Gonzalo Herrera this time around, shall we?

Our setup location is revealed as Cliffs. Oh lovely.

Turn 1:

I'll start off with "What are your demands?". A roll of 1,4 means I'm going to need to discard some cards to make this happen. I'll discard 2 "Keep Cool" cards. The demand is "Hornet's Nest". Wow. Didn't expect this.

Okay. It says "Ambush! This card is now the active location". Now... it doesn't tell me to discard the Cliffs, but that's implied because it has replaced it. I will rule that Cliffs is discarded for now.

Now, I've got 3 cards left and a tough choice. During the buy phase, I will need to discard all of these to have a shot at discarding the location. OR, I can try to get double successes twice on Small Talk to get to 5 CP and preserve a card - namely the Demands.

I will go with the less risky option and wait until the buy phase to discard my 3 remaining conversation cards for the "Detour" card.

The terror card this turn is "Minor Demand: I need to refuel". Really interesting card. A quick hostage release if the bus is stopped, but the bus goes back on the move again.

At the end of this phase, the Hostage moves to the 2nd spot on the "Hornet's Nest" card. 3 moves to go before I lose.

Turn 2:

Nothing to play but the Detour card. I will play it now, since my hand refills during the buy phase, and I want this available during turn 3 if it doesn't work out now. The roll on 2 dice is 2,4. A failure. I need to discard the top Red card and that is "This is going nowhere" - so I just saved a hostage!

The buy phase comes around and I've got 6 free cards again. Terror for this turn is "I'm growing impatient" followed by "Your time is running out" (WHAT?!) Looks like this is the death knell for this game.

Since there are EIGHT red terror cards left, discarding 4 to get rid of this is suicide. I'll instead discard 2 to delay the effect. The discarded cards are "He's on the Move" and "The Situation is Worsening".

End of Terror, the hostage moves onward to the next spot on the Hornet's nest - two turns remain after this.

Turn 3:

I'll play "Small Talk" and the roll is 4,5. CP goes up to +1. Another "Small Talk" and the roll is 4,6 and CP is up to +3.

Finally, I'll play "What are your demands?", and a 4,6 is rolled. I will discard the other "What are your demands?" and a "Keep Cool" card to make it a double success. This brings CP up to +5!!

The last Major demand is "I need a faster bus!". That and the refuel demand are mutually exclusive, so I'll see what the situation dictates when I need to use them.

I will hold that other "Keep Cool" card close to the chest, since a failure will lose me that precious 5th CP.

During the buy phase, I'll grab "Road Block" for 5 CP.

Terror this turn is "The Situation is Worsening" - well - not TOO bad, since I have revealed both demands. Net effect is threat increases to 4.

Hornet's Nest Advances, and next turn will be my last turn for this to work.

Turn 4:

I play "Road Block" immediately. The bus is stopped.

Next card is going to be "Keep Cool" and I roll 2 successes. Threat is down to 3 and CP is now 0.

I will concede "I need to refuel" and save a hostage. The location card is the "Desert"

During the buy phase, I pick up the free cards, and flip the next terror card and it is "He's on the move". The next location is revealed as the City. Oh, a NEW one! Neat. He picks up hostages.

-- I will pause here and continue later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the length of Your last post I thought it was going to be a quick loss.
Good to see You still "travelling" :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikolajl wrote:
When I saw the length of Your last post I thought it was going to be a quick loss.
Good to see You still "travelling" :-)

You'd have no one to blame but yourself!

(ok I guess you could blame me too )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.