Hide
8 Posts

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » General

Subject: I need a pep talk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Ham
msg tools
Hope this doesn't sound silly, but I need you AW veterans to tell me I'll be able to handle this game. I've played a lot of BFN and Day of Days, and I bought AW because, obviously, I love the topic. But the rules are pretty daunting, to say the least. Am I going to be able to learn this amazing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Larry,

This is a step up in complexity from BfN but also more rewarding. Day of Days is like playing Candyland in comparison.

Some people might tell you it's better to start with Hurtgen: Hells Forest to learn the system. I actually think AW is better. The terrain and rule exceptions are less than Hurtgen.

I like to take on the whole enchilada when learning a game. I don't like the step by step process. However with this system it can be daunting. Not knowing what your game learning habits are makes it difficult to recommend how to learn this. When starting a campaign you have to get through the Airborne and Amphib modules and then a couple of turns before you are playing complete turns using the logistics system.

The logistics system is the most intimidating part of the rules in my opinion, but once you have done it a few times you realize it really isn't that complicated. Combat isn't complicated but there are several steps for both ground and fire support. Those become second nature again as you get comfortable with it.

No short cuts to learning this. Get units out on the map as you read the different rules sections so you can see how it works on the map. Then go for it. Joe Youst and Doug Johnson are very active and helpful here and on CSW. Those of us who have played it can also aid you with questions and clarifications.

It is hands down the best Normandy Campaign game there is and playing is very rewarding. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

There's no lift to the top, you have to take the stairs, one floor at a time. I would say I am a reasonably experienced gamer but have found this a tough one to learn. The help on here, Joey's videos and the payback from the game has kept me going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not an "AW Veteran" in any sense, I second Tom's reccommendation. Get some counters on a map and start moving them around, looking up stuff as you go. This is where Hurtgen works better as an intro game; there are small scenarios, where in AW even the smallest scenario is still pretty big and takes time to set up. Of course you could also use VASSAL to alleviate the setup time issue after the first time.

GOSS is big and complicated but not unplayable. Just get it on a table and start learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Ham
msg tools
I've read several threads that mentioned the videos. It sounds like they are being modified to correct some errors. Does anyone have an idea when they will be available again? And thanks for the help everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Willing to teach games on my play list.
badge
Look at my game list and see if there is something you want to play and let's get to playing it.
mb
Larry,

Here is video one of the Hurtgen set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8mM00AgNFc

Here is video one of the Amphibious portion of Atlantic Wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nlJcQNGSy8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Ham
msg tools
Thanks for the links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Larry,

Dive in and if you have questions, there is plenty of support right here.

I monitor all these GOSS boards and try to answer in a timely manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.