Popular Tags: [View All]
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is mostly a thematic question, why are most infantry movements as fast if not faster than most vehicles? There are even some infantry units that can cover 70cm in one activation while most vehicles are lucky if they can pull off 50 at the most.

How can this make any sense in game play/theme?

Any thoughts or ideas that can help me bridge this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put it down to how the vehicles are moving in a close combat zone where there are other strong threats nearby them. They aren't going to charge around at full speed as they'd have terrible aim and be an easy to spot target (unless so tiny speed was their only ability). The combat field is also not the nice flat board that is played on but is full or rubble and other obstacles to navigate, even a walker has to tread carefully (at least on the European boards).

Infantry on the other hand have no such restriction and can slip through the small spaces and need to move as fast as they can. Some units even excel at this, seeming to appear from nowhere on the board.

On the open field of battle the vehicles would leave the foot troops behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it like this:

If a Vehicle and an Infantry Unit is on one side of a war-torn city full of rubble and debris, and they both are ordered to cross through to the other side of the city, who would get there first?

In difficult terrain, infantry usually moves faster than vehicles actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that vehicle wheel/tracked/etc. have enhanced movement on certain terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like what you guys are saying. It helps me with the thematic feel of each battle I play...Is there anything that anyone can add to explain the slow movements of Vehicles in open desert terrain such as the Operation Babylon and Operation Kondor scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

I like what you guys are saying. It helps me with the thematic feel of each battle I play...Is there anything that anyone can add to explain the slow movements of Vehicles in open desert terrain such as the Operation Babylon and Operation Kondor scenarios?

Similar to what Lance said above, I think it reflects caution when moving into an area known to have enemy units present. Vehicles are at risk when moving too far ahead of their infantry support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.