Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Black dice, heroic feature, black encounter bonus - help for foreigners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Vendelbo Gori
Denmark
flag msg tools
I have read all rules in all versions but I think that I miss some implicit meaning regarding your use of black dice in this game - maybe as a reader from Denmark with some context-noise and failed interpretations? In the following please don't answer with quotes from the rulebook but try to unfold the meaning instead...Examples:

1) When you use one or two black dice from your Warriors "heroic feature"in an encounter , are they then used up after the encounter - or do I still own these?

2) "Discard"? Meaning into supply? I'm thinking of the ability to change a yellow 2 and a red 5 to a black 2 and use it as a blue 2. Where do the black come from? The supply? Am I then going to loose the yellow and red dice forever into supply? Loosing two cubes and getting one?
OR is my black dice temporary and must be put back to the supply afterwards?
A solution: Couldn't I just take the yellow 2 and place it on the blue 2 - and imprison the red 5 meanwhile?

3) Do I use the terms "supply" and "pool" correctly? Pool = my earned dice; and supply = available dice later on in game if I'm lucky or smart enough?

4) Levelling up: Black dice earned here are permanent, aren't they?

5) Kind of summary: Is it correct that three kind of black dice are in play?
- Black dice from levelling up are permanent in your pool?
- Black dice as heroic features could be available before each encounter, but as soon you decide to use them for a specific encounter they are used up afterwards and must be placed in the supply?
- Black dice as a result of adding two other colored dice to one black (using lowest number) is very temporary and shall be returned to supply immidiately after this encounter? OR have you now earned this black dice to your pool and lost the other two to supply?

6) Could it be put in a simpler way: You always in your pool have the dice your heroes items all together tell you that you have? Plus black dice matching your level? AND on your hero's card you could have more temporary black dice/heroic features - lost after use in an encounter?

If anyone answers - then thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully, I can clarify things.

Yes, you are using supply and pool correctly.

Your pool is always made up of all the colored dice from your heroes items and any black dice from your level and from your heroic feat, if you choose to use any for that encounter.

Once you've used any heroic feat dice they are returned to the supply after the encounter is resolved.

If you choose to convert two dice into a black die, the two dice you used are taken out of the pool for that encounter only and a black die from the supply is used. So, you'd be trading two for one for that encounter only.

For your #2 solution about just putting the yellow die on the blue spot you could do that, but remember that the types of dice are limited by the actual number in the game, so if you are out of black dice in the supply you couldn't convert two colored dice to a black. (I'm 99% sure on that ruling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) Using your heroic ability uses up the dice. You can earn them back again, of course.

2) The black dice gained from combining are temporary. (Your solution is workable but I prefer the visual reminder of actually setting aside my two dice from the pool and using the black die.)

3) You are correct.

4) You are correct.

5) You are correct and the third type is temporary.

6) You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Vendelbo Gori
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank you, CalicoDave! I appreciate your clear answers and concise explanations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Vendelbo Gori
Denmark
flag msg tools
...and Amy too: Essence in answers and a good suggestion too, which I really can follow. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have a question after reading this about combining to make a black die. Do you return the two dice you combined back to the supply to be used immediately, i.e. to be gained after using another skill?

Edit: Terminology. I meant the supply, not pool...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You lose the use of the dice you combine until the end of the encounter. After the encounter is over, the black die leaves your possession and you regain the dice you had before for the next encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
I still have a question after reading this about combining to make a black die. Do you return the two dice you combined back to the pool to be used immediately, i.e. to be gained after using another skill?

Yes, the 2 dice you use to make a black die are returned to the die pool so that they can be used if another skill allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting possibly conflicting information.

I'll go read the rules closely again tonight, but it sounds like I've been playing it wrong. Amy and CalicoDave are saying you lose the combined dice (until the end of the encounter). So, if I combined two yellow dice, I could only have a maximum of six for the rest of the encounter. Joe said the opposite, which is what I originally thought would happen.

To be clear, skills do NOT use up your dice, but combining them does, correct?

Edited: We cleared up the misunderstanding. Dice used either to power skills or combine dice go back into the general supply, available for immediate use.

The designer clarified the former point here (but not the latter):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26285379#26285379
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically say that you discard 2 dice to get the one black die. The rulebook also says that when you discard dice they are returned to the supply and are available to be used immediately.

The net effect of this is that you take the 2 dice you want to turn into a black die and put them back in the general dice supply (not the dice you roll each turn) and take 1 black die from the supply that is equal to the lower of the 2 dice you returned. Once these 2 dice have been returned to the supply they are then available again (from the supply, not your die pool for that encounter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
D'oh! I just now understood what you were actually asking! Sorry about that. Yes, Joe is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks. I just started to peruse the rules forums for ODD recently in case I might have accidentally skipped over any rules. The clarifications are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.