Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

as some of the game's components are going to the printer very soon (maps, counters, cards) we thought it would be good to put the rulebook available for download.
Please feel free to take a look at it. If you see any spelling mistake or anything else please let us know.

Link to GWC rulebook:
https://tinyurl.com/y7cdlsff

Pascal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any qlue when we will see it on the shelves?ninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Gentil-Perret
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
As the production process is starting, we expect to have the game printed in a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks friggin' awesome! Being a huge Combat Commander fan, this game will be a must add to my collection.

I scanned the rules and have not had a chance to really digest them. I am nitpicking, but the first thing that jumped out to me was regarding stacking. In Combat Commander if units are over stacked at the end of a turn, the platoons (identified as squads in Combat Commander) can be deployed (broken down into teams) to get to the stacking limit. In Great War Commander it looks like they are instead eliminated. Obviously, this is intended, but it may be one of those little rules that us CC veterans forget about.

I would also love to see a card manifest, to get an idea of how the different nations will be set up.

Will this system also employ a random scenario generator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I would love to see a list of "rules most likely to be misinterpreted or missed by veteran Combat Commander players."

Hell, I might end up writing it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
This game looks friggin' awesome! Being a huge Combat Commander fan, this game will be a must add to my collection.

I scanned the rules and have not had a chance to really digest them. I am nitpicking, but the first thing that jumped out to me was regarding stacking. In Combat Commander if units are over stacked at the end of a turn, the platoons (identified as squads in Combat Commander) can be deployed (broken down into teams) to get to the stacking limit. In Great War Commander it looks like they are instead eliminated. Obviously, this is intended, but it may be one of those little rules that us CC veterans forget about.

I would also love to see a card manifest, to get an idea of how the different nations will be set up.

I preferred the modifier added to fire for overstacking. Elimination is a bit OTT, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:

I preferred the modifier added to fire for overstacking. Elimination is a bit OTT, in my opinion.

ala Pacific rule and CC:E variant.

I prefer the full limit and then reduce. The large size of the units in this game is a bit much to be overstacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creeping barrage and air attacks sound very interesting. I'm looking forward to get my copy. Is there going to be a preorder system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be scenarios without tanks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Nord
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Yes, the majority of them.

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeppelin Raider wrote:

Yes, the majority of them.

Roger

GOOD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good from a quick read on the phone now. If this reads weird it is because I also type on said phone.

Minor nitpick: conflicting sizes for teams and platoons given (and I think the ranges need to increase since a flamethrower team would typically be just 2 and a lmg maybe 4, light mortar 4 if they are in the game, HMG 12?, platoons would be smaller maybe 30-35 late war?).

First bef gas was Loos september 1915, only using canisters. Artillery gas was much later (also for other armies). Liven's projectors in 1917 (and the rulebook should say canisters, to not confuse canisters with Liven's projectors imo).

Choose a word for stormtroopers/assaulttroopers. German army used various sturm- and stoss-words, but no need to confuse players with being as inconsistent as they were.

German LMG was beltfed and probably deserves some benefit for that, much like HMG.

Good to see a ww1 game that seems really well researched and lots of nice chrome. (The artillery rules might be too nice to players considering how difficult it was to influence artillery plans at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been through the new rules once paying pretty close attention, and found a very few typos, which follow:

Game Scale:
Formations represent either a single Leader, a Runner, a 12 mAn Team, a 65 mAn Platoon, or a Tank.

Contents:
36 double large (1.25”x5/8”) die-cut counters 

The Flying Squadrons illustration: "Enemy may not play any more Air Assault OrderS."

The Formations: - - two figures represent a 10 to 15 mAn Team and four figures is a 50-man Platoon.

Note that the above contradicts the section in ‘Game Scale’. Both should match.

Game time 5) Any reinforcement Telephone is placed into that player’s Artillery Box, replacing any of his Telephone already there;

7.2.1 Voluntary exit: - - - That Formation is then placed on any future space of the Time Track the owning player wishes.

Note that in Combat Commander, the formation can be placed ANYWHERE on the time track. If this GWC limitation to only allow placement in the future is deliberate, that is fine. I just can't think of much reason for the change.

E61 Breeze - - - Place a new BlazeR marker [T100] into each non-Water hex, non-Blaze hex that is both adjacent and in “direction #” of an existing Blaze marker, but only if that hex is Buildings or Woods.

S98: Strategy cards “Each nation has a mini deck of 6 9 Strategy Cards.

Overall, a VERY fine job, Pascal !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:

In Combat Commander if units are over stacked at the end of a turn, the platoons (identified as squads in Combat Commander) can be deployed (broken down into teams) to get to the stacking limit. In Great War Commander it looks like they are instead eliminated. Obviously, this is intended, but it may be one of those little rules that us CC veterans forget about.

Yes it is intended. WW1 army organisation was very rigid (strict) [except for certain assault formations in late war]. If soldiers were ordered to be somewhere, they had to be there. Overstacking represents dizorganization or indiscipline, something the officers of that time couldn't suffer.

kinga1965 wrote:

yes later

kinga1965 wrote:

of course (including 3 players scenarios)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Indeed, I would love to see a list of "rules most likely to be misinterpreted or missed by veteran Combat Commander players."

This is something that has already been done, printerfriendly rulebook too. But we first have to check if evrything is ok to your eyes with the current rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
Is there going to be a preorder system.

yes of course, it might start soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pelle
some of your suggestions were on my book during the design process, but we don't have to forget that we come from the CCsystem and we could not alter it too much or it would be new system.
Strategy Cards are here to influence the battle from another level than the tactical level. Strategic decisions or events that influence what happens in this part of the battlefield.

pelni wrote:

Minor nitpick: conflicting sizes for teams and platoons given (and I think the ranges need to increase since a flamethrower team would typically be just 2 and a lmg maybe 4, light mortar 4 if they are in the game, HMG 12?, platoons would be smaller maybe 30-35 late war?).

First bef gas was Loos september 1915, only using canisters. Artillery gas was much later (also for other armies). Liven's projectors in 1917 (and the rulebook should say canisters, to not confuse canisters with Liven's projectors imo).

Choose a word for stormtroopers/assaulttroopers. German army used various sturm- and stoss-words, but no need to confuse players with being as inconsistent as they were.

German LMG was beltfed and probably deserves some benefit for that, much like HMG.

Good to see a ww1 game that seems really well researched and lots of nice chrome. (The artillery rules might be too nice to players considering how difficult it was to influence artillery plans at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chick for all this, we'll take it into account.

chicklewis wrote:
I've been through the new rules once paying pretty close attention, and found a very few typos, which follow:

Game Scale:
Formations represent either a single Leader, a Runner, a 12 mAn Team, a 65 mAn Platoon, or a Tank.

Contents:
36 double large (1.25”x5/8”) die-cut counters 

The Flying Squadrons illustration: "Enemy may not play any more Air Assault OrderS."

The Formations: - - two figures represent a 10 to 15 mAn Team and four figures is a 50-man Platoon.

Note that the above contradicts the section in ‘Game Scale’. Both should match.

Game time 5) Any reinforcement Telephone is placed into that player’s Artillery Box, replacing any of his Telephone already there;

7.2.1 Voluntary exit: - - - That Formation is then placed on any future space of the Time Track the owning player wishes.

Note that in Combat Commander, the formation can be placed ANYWHERE on the time track. If this GWC limitation to only allow placement in the future is deliberate, that is fine. I just can't think of much reason for the change.

E61 Breeze - - - Place a new BlazeR marker [T100] into each non-Water hex, non-Blaze hex that is both adjacent and in “direction #” of an existing Blaze marker, but only if that hex is Buildings or Woods.

S98: Strategy cards “Each nation has a mini deck of 6 9 Strategy Cards.

Overall, a VERY fine job, Pascal !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet - thanks for the rules.

I especially like the concept of starting in the early war and then adding technology/tactics as the war progresses.

I can imagine the look of the early war maps compared to the later ones will be quite different!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Nord
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Maps
Hi Peter,

Yes, early maps are different,showing pristine countryside, but even then the shells start peppering the battlefield, depending on what ordinance you get and their accuracy.

Later maps show devastation you might expect from years of fighting, except where there have been breakthroughs to somewhat untouched countryside.

So the maps themselves reflect the progression in technology/tactics.

And the artwork is topnotch.

Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
English and french rulebooks are now available on BGG in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.