Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Bruce Catton: Never Call Retreat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I recently inherited a bunch of ACW books from my father and have been going back to reread many of them which I haven't done since childhood.

While reading Vol. III of Bruce Catton's wonderful Centennial History noticed what appears to be a missing fold-out map from the end pages.

On the back end pages is a map title 'Virginia 1863-65'. It covers at least two pages--back inside hardcover, and endpage. There has always been an extra 1/2 penney sized piece of paper hanging off the top corner which I had assumed was a printing error. Then I noticed it had a railroad line printed on it which makes me reconsider. Now I am wondering if there was once a fold-out map there that got torn off.

Can anyone with a copy help me confirm if there should be a another panel to the map?

Vol. III, Never Call Retreat. Hardcover 1965 Doubleday Edition. Virginia 1863-1865 map. How many panels should be there?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have the hardcover edition, but my softcover edition has all of the maps in the middle of the book. The Virginia 1863-1865 map is there, and it's only two panels. The left has West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, while the right has Washington, Richmond, and the Chesapeake Bay. I'm thinking you've got the entire map and that extra piece may be a printing error as you originally thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a book published around the same time in the U.K. on WW1 aircraft -- the fold-out plans included are all at 1:72 scale, and thus needed larger sheets of paper to print them. They are bound in sequence in the book, and thus, there are often odd 'short' pages of an inch or so in depth where the rest of the page is bound into the leaves.

It sounds like your map was printed and bound in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.