11 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: When to play Moff Tarkin starting action card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars Pedro Villinger
Denmark
flag msg tools
Brilliant Administrator (Moff Tarkin) – Assignment- Place leader in Imperial system and immediately build with it.

Hi, im new to this wonderfull game Almost played 1 game already, but more game(s) coming up this weekend, so I would like to know:

When would you play the Moff Tarkin action card?

It seem to be best in the beginning of the game, but playing it in the very first round might not be the best idea.

I realize a lot depends on what imperial bases you draw, so would be nice if you replied with details about that.

Im currently thinking doing that action card in round 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblofilter wrote:
Brilliant Administrator (Moff Tarkin) – Assignment- Place leader in Imperial system and immediately build with it.

Hi, im new to this wonderfull game Almost played 1 game already, but more game(s) coming up this weekend, so I would like to know:

When would you play the Moff Tarkin action card?

It seem to be best in the beginning of the game, but playing it in the very first round might not be the best idea.

I realize a lot depends on what imperial bases you draw, so would be nice if you replied with details about that.

Im currently thinking doing that action card in round 2?

this is a good question.
It is quite expensive to do in round 1, in most cases you can probably accomplish more by moving your fleets and gaining loyalty in Corellia.
Start of round 2 isn't bad, especially if you just saw the rebels build 2+ mon cal cruisers.

Another thing I have done is to place him in Corellia when I think the rebels might try to sabotage it. 1 dice against no-dice isn't that bad for you, they might fail and they might end up choosing a different less painful location.

I have found that if I wait with the card i tend to not use it, so if you don't have some really good targets in T1 or if you build badly on T1 compared to the rebels i would consider it.
Also it is a way to send a leader into a system before the rebels do (if you think they might want to rescue a leader, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that I like to play Brilliant Administrator on round 2 on a star destroyer planet. That way you'll have star destroyers roll off every turn for the next three turns.

With the way the placement rules work, it's actually quite nice to have an extra SD on a turn in-between the placement of regular star destroyer production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
turn 1 if you're only adjacent to 2 rebel systems or if you aren't planning on doing R&D turn one. Turn 2 otherwise. Production is most useful early in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kanakos
msg tools
It depends on how many Mon Calamari's the rebels are going to get. If the have Mon Calamari and you don't have salucami, I would play it turn one because between that and Utapau they are going to get 2 at least, maybe 3. If you play it and can make Corellia loyal you can maybe match their 2 for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may also be worth using on an AT-AT system depending on your starting systems and their loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kanakos
msg tools
demoss1 wrote:
It may also be worth using on an AT-AT system depending on your starting systems and their loyalty.

I would almost never use it on an AT-AT, just because star destroyers allow you to explore in relative safety, assault carriers are very vulnerable. Plus you can build AT-AT's faster as they always start on #2 on the queue. I would use in on an AT-AT in the end game if the rebel base is loaded with ground forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:

Yeah I've seen it used on Sullest when the empire already has a huge space advantage. Empire needs to try and win in every theater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
There's only real good answer:

Use it to fill gaps in your production. If the rebels sabotage and blockaded all your shipyards and they got MonCals themselves, obviously use it to get an extra Star Destroyer.

Same analogy if the rebels killed your ground forces.

In some games, it might be best to not use the card at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Sringoot wrote:

In some games, it might be best to not use the card at all.

Can't comprehend a situation where you wouldn't use this turn 1 or turn 2. Empire never has enough plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sringoot wrote:

Use it to fill gaps in your production. If the rebels sabotage and blockaded all your shipyards and they got MonCals themselves, obviously use it to get an extra Star Destroyer.

I prefer to be proactive.

I like to jam extra production early in the game to get a huge material advantage. That way I can spend the rest of the game hunting (and undermining) Rebels without having to worry much about resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.