United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the link averse...

The name Bitskrieg was suggested to me a year or two ago when I polled my friends on Facebook. At that time BK was going to be a submission to the BGG PNP Wargame contest.

There was no connection to That Old Tank Game until Tom and Mary and Wil released the cover yesterday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add a little something to what Scott said, which I'll get into more when we do the "cover story" on the blog. I went through several cover concepts on this one, none of which quite came together to my satisfaction and to Mary's. When I started the process, I had no intention of parodying/homaging PanzerBlitz, and indeed, if I was going to end up doing a parody cover, I figured it would probably be Afrika Korps - "In 2015, a designer named Scott [face] and his son Miles [face] made a game about tanks that they could play together, about light tanks [tank] and medium tanks [tank]" etc.

The difficulty was trying to come up with a cover that would appeal to adults and to kids alike. We don't want it pegged as a "kid's game", because it's a perfectly suitable game for two adults and much crunchier than appears. Someone on twitter recently said about another of our games that it "punches above its weight", which we thought was very kind, and I think the same thing can be said about Bitskrieg. For such a tiny, simple game, it packs a lot of punch. But part of the game's appeal is that you can play it with a young 'un, and a couple smart young 'uns can play it against one another.

The PanzerBlitz parody cover not only seemed to work visually, and to be reasonably clever and cute, but I think is something that can appeal to adults and to kids alike, without pandering to the latter. If anything, it panders to the grown-ups, as it's fervently pressing their nostalgia button.

But the game itself isn't a parody of PanzerBlitz, isn't a simplified version of that game by any stretch (as far as I know; I've never played PanzerBlitz), and has no connection other than (1) the cover homage/parody, and (2) just as PanzerBlitz was the game that got lots of folks into the hobby, we hope that Bitskrieg will do the same. That last reason especially makes the choice of cover apt I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.