Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can a ship sail through another enemy or friendly ship while moving, as long as it doesn't come to rest inside that other ship?

2. Can ships ram other ships if they want to? (I assume not but the rules don't say)?

3. There are two sizes of white circles, big and small. I'm guessing the bigger one is for the helicopter? Am I right in assuming it is not considered shallow water for Torpedo boats?

4. There are some places in the board where there are two pink circles connected by a line. What do those mean?

5. Can a single ship use 2 movement dice in a turn?

6. Can a ship which did not move, still fire?

7. Can a ship fire as many weapons as it wishes in a turn, or only 1 or only 1 per type?

8. Is there a trick to making the helicopter stands work? The stand pole doesn't really hold the helicopter up without using tape. I suppose I could glue the poles to the bases. Is that how it's done?

9. I used red and blue for the miniature fantail letters. I assume the other colors are just there for personal preference? Frankly it would be useful to have a "assembly guide" to show the player how the creator wants the set assembled, I had to puzzle it out. I didn't even know the numbers were stickers until I was told in an update. Heck it took me looking at pictures on BGG before I knew they were meant to go on the fantails. Before that I was trying to figure out how I was going to tell one from another.

So far I'm just learning the rules and doing solo plays to learn the rules. But it's an interesting tactical game. The only thing that grates a little is the inability to move all the ships in a single turn. I'm not sure yet it's the wrong choice or anything, it is just a bit annoying. But the torpedo firing limitations with the TPB extra movement vs. the bigger ship guns and slower movement make for nice tactical play. This really manifests most when a ship needs to return to base or the ammo or repair ship needs to move up and you have to give up your attack movement to facilitate that.

I'm on to the Helicopters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Lazovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mb
1. Ships (or boats) can not pass through enemy or friendly vessels. But, a player can move his own vessels in such order that they don't obstruct each other (for example: ship A can't pass forward because of ship B. Player should first move ship B out of its way, and then move ship A).

2. We were considering that rule, but we have decided that there is no ramming in this game. But if you want, we can introduce an optional rule:
Ships can ramm small vessels (boats, hovercraft, hydrofoils and submarines). In such case, the small vessel is destroyed and removed from the board, while the ship is undamaged. Ships can not ramm other ships, nor can small vessels ramm each other.

3. Small "white" circles are actually light blue - shallow water. Large white circles represent solid flat land (where helicopters can land). See in the table, under Movement:

4. I don't know what did you mean. There are no pink circles, there are only red circles (land), and generally all circles are connected with lines.

5. No. One ship can use only one die in a turn.

6. Every ship that have ammunition can shoot, no matter if it moved in that turn or not.

7. One ship can shoot only from one weapon in a single turn (for example, Destroyer must choose which weapon will shoot - torpedo or gun).

8. Those stands are not perfect (we are working to improve them for future editions). If it is not holding, it should be fixed with glue or to plant a piece of paper to tighten it.

9. Yes, multiple colors of numbers are there for choice.

The main rules don't predict moving all pieces. But, there is an optional rule on page 14 (under title "Activational markers") for moving all pieces. We consider the game is better if players must choose which ships to move, and at the same time it is simpler for playing.

We advise players to start playing with basic board, and gradually introduce new types of ships, helicopters, etc. Only after several plays, you can see the true value of this game, especially if played by a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. These were my pink circles. You can see how the pink ones are way less deep red than the ones I called red:

And zoomed in.

Judging from your response, I'm guessing these are actually red and the printing makes them look lighter than they may have been intended to be.

Not quite sure how I'm going to handle the stands. Will think of something. Since they can't fly over a ship anyway, the stand is little more than a special effect. That is nothing stops them from just sitting directly on the board. After all the game doesn't include rules for altitude.

I am playing a test game per level in learning the rules. I'm up to level 3 though I'm sneaking in missile boats for a little variety. I kind of wish the game had an actual solitaire mode so I could play it more often at home rather than just when I have opponents, but that's life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Lazovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Now I see. Those are not red circles but orange. Orange circles represent flat land (but not solid - helicopters can't land there), over which Hovercraft can pass. You will meet hovercraft in level 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milos Zikic
England
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Uh these bits and pieces are making me even more hyped about the game!!!

Ah solo rules sounds like a challenge for me....I'll give it a go when I get my copy!

Well as of ramming. It was not too popular in modern warfare (on purpose). Only one I can recall war Russians ramming American ship in late 80's and it was pretty unremarkable. WW2 was more about ramming. Of course correct me if I'm wrong, it is an interesting subject I know little about.
Rules which were suggested are more reflective of WW2 tactics, but they sound sound. I don't know how.If it works in game than it's fine. But from the demo that I played it seems to be bit OP but that is just up to Destroyer level. And as far as I know never happened in 70' so we can do as we please :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I interpreted the "pink" circles is that they signify "shallows/shoal" spaces.

Edit: Milos, the photos don't do it justice! The components are beautiful. I do recommend you spring for the Expanded/Enlarged if you can. I got a set of each size of miniature ships, and it's much easier to "sticker" the larger ones and recognize them at a glance.

But the smaller ones are nice, too. And the smaller size aircraft are less prone to "falling over" because they're lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.