Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going through my first game. Playing the first Normandy Mission.

First part of the friendly command phase I have multiple questions. Citations are appreciated.

I elected to give my CO HQ the SCR300 BN TAC.

I couldn't find a rule that tells me that he is in communication with BN HQ. (BN HQ has no pieces in this mission). I assume he is in communication. Yes?

I assumed Yes to the above and pulled an Action Card. (Made some assumptions, couldn't find the rule. Action Deck is shuffled prior to play to include the reshuffled card). I got a 5 (modified is still a 5).

So that is 5 commands. 4.1.1 seems to imply I can use the commands to 'activate' subordinates. That makes sense. Now we convert the commands to actions. So I think I can spend the command points based on the cost on the action menu.

The first action I see at the top of the command menu is 'Activate a subordinate HQ or Staff'. Makes me second guess my understanding. Now I am thinking that I need to spend the one command point to activate a subordinate.

Just wondering how this works. I think I can straight spend the commands by the cost on the chart. Yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I couldn't find a rule that tells me that he is in communication with BN HQ. (BN HQ has no pieces in this mission). I assume he is in communication. Yes?

Yes. As long as the CO has the BN TAC radio/phone, and the BN HQ is off map, they are in communication (NOTE: if using the phone to communicate with the BN HQ, there must be a legal phone line connection between the CO HQ and the Staging Area). I'll update the errata (and later the living rules) to reflect this.

Quote:
I assumed Yes to the above and pulled an Action Card. (Made some assumptions, couldn't find the rule. Action Deck is shuffled prior to play to include the reshuffled card). I got a 5 (modified is still a 5).

Well done. And 5 is nice :-).

Quote:
So that is 5 commands. 4.1.1 seems to imply I can use the commands to 'activate' subordinates. That makes sense. Now we convert the commands to actions. So I think I can spend the command points based on the cost on the action menu.

Read 3.3 through 3.3.1C

Quote:
The first action I see at the top of the command menu is 'Activate a subordinate HQ or Staff'. Makes me second guess my understanding. Now I am thinking that I need to spend the one command point to activate a subordinate.

See above.

Quote:
Just wondering how this works. I think I can straight spend the commands by the cost on the chart. Yes?

Certainly, as long as the HQ/unit has available commands, and/or is in communication with an eligible originator. Note that Activation is far more efficient than Initiative. Yet the vagaries of combat will make a mess of it all anyway.

Best of luck.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ricky. It is taking me some time to absorb all this, but I am getting there. Brain isn't as young as it used to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Brain isn't as young as it used to be.

Don't I know it . . .

Good luck!

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you watched any of the videos, Mark? I have found watching them really helped me make sense of the rules. I'm rewatching them all as I wait for my copy to arrive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.