Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "what are the hidden gems" thread - but now with the rule :

What's the lowest ranked wargame that you rated at least a "6"

For me it's Hellfire Pass - rank 1916 - from designer Vance von Borries

I had read about combined operations tactics, but it was this game that made it all click for me - it was one of those times a wargame made the battle come alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me its Kriegspiel.

Lots of interesting ideas in this game. Plus the cover is so awful that it is a keeper!

I plan to one day to a serious remke of that one, combining it with concepts from Blitzkrieg , Field Marshal and Tactics II .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Great Patriotic War, ranked 2228. I have it rated a 6, but should probably revise that downward...

Next one is War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863, ranked 2105. I stand by my 6 rating, but only using the Rick Barber map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Target: Iran seems to have no ratings at all and I quite like it. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely not a "wargamer", but here's what I got:

"Rock of the Marne" --- 5275 (I rated it an 8)

"Air Assault on Crete / Invasion of Malta: 1942" --- 3561 (I rated it a 6)

Neither are hidden gems, and both are good games. Rock of the Marne needs more chrome, and Crete/Malta is ugly and has crowded stacks.

Would absolutely play both though if time wasn't limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
The Great Patriotic War, ranked 2228. I have it rated a 6, but should probably revise that downward...

With the complete re-write of the rules this one is not so bad. But I did give my copy away... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The American Civil War
ranked 2476 shake

I've had a lot of fun with it. With a few tweaks it's playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Excluding magazine games (because the difference between a 5 or 6 based on 1 or 2 plays is entirely suspect), Killer Angels, #2368, which I actually gave a *7*. My comment:

Quote:
Ranking is for "Basic Game", which is quite advanced! Deft handling of pickets an absolute necessity in order to provide reactionary impetus to the main body of the army. The Advanced Game and Campaign Game add even more verisimilitude, but the additional detail brings rapidly diminishing return. In short, while I very much respect the simulation attempted by the upper levels of detail (and even *reading* these rules is an instructive experience), as a *game*, it's just too much to bear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like it's Armageddon: Tactical Combat 3000 to 500 B.C., which I received in my Strategy & Tactics subscription in 1972. It's a pretty good representation of ancient warfare, at least as far as I can tell.

It's not the best game in the world, but it sure doesn't belong at #10,356 on the BGG Rankings. After all, it works, it's fun to play, and (as much as we can tell for a game that is set 5000 years ago) it's reasonably faithful to its setting.

[It would be great if people would include small images of the game in their posts. It might bring things back to memory for those of us who've been playing wargames for a long time.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Excluding magazine games (because the difference between a 5 or 6 based on 1 or 2 plays is entirely suspect), Killer Angels, #2368, which I actually gave a *7*. My comment:

I recently got this game, its been on my wish list for a long time, and I more interested in getting to this game than other better regarded games awaiting in my collection.

But apart from the Empires of Apocalypse series, for example Cold Days in Hell, I will cite 1863

The Turn Continuation Table that got such a rap back in the day, and the fact that 1862, its predecessor was a bit of a mess, means that this one was neglected in my view.

Four battles in one including a nail-biting little Gettysburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are games I personally rate a 5 than I enjoy playing. I typically want to mod them, though. I've modded some games that I'd rate as low as "4" for the original, that I'd consider 6 or 7 with the changes. We don't have to play them as written, is the point, and if the underlying design is decent enough, we can patch the holes and mistakes and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my stats, it is Road to the Rhine. It is rated a respectable 7.0 and people usually speak well of it but I rate it a 10 and think it is a design that deserved a better fate than it got. It's largely forgotten now but it could've spawned a lot of other games using the same system. I own the original Guderian's Blitzkrieg which has a similar scale to Road to the Rhine, so I've thought about trying it using the RttR game engine and see what happens. One day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro M wrote:
According to my stats, it is Road to the Rhine. It is rated a respectable 7.0 and people usually speak well of it but I rate it a 10 and think it is a design that deserved a better fate than it got. It's largely forgotten now but it could've spawned a lot of other games using the same system. I own the original Guderian's Blitzkrieg which has a similar scale to Road to the Rhine, so I've thought about trying it using the RttR game engine and see what happens. One day...

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
13698 Armada gets a 6.

It's a bit cumbersome, and gets a lot of grief from the rules,
but I think it is still a pretty solid game that does what it
tries well enough. Liked it enough that when I lost my first map,
I purchased another copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12784 Sorcerer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I really enjoyed my play of...

Ranked 1,338, as a wargame. I like the system and look forward to using it for Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 (25th Anniversary Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

12056. This is more for nostalgia purposes than anything else as it was the first war-game that I ever owned. I played it again a year or so ago and it's still a fun game, despite the weird combat table that makes the game more ground combat than naval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Eynon
Wales
Llandudno
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas Time Traveler wrote:
The American Civil War
ranked 2476 shake

I've had a lot of fun with it. With a few tweaks it's playable.

Mine too, rated a 6. Looks good on the table (particularly with painted miniatures) but not a great game. I do own the old SPI game World War III which is ranked even lower at 2624 (almost at the very end of the ranked games) but I've still yet to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro M wrote:

Yes nice game!

I am using some concepts from it in my upcoming West Front game.

No Retreat 5: The Western Front, 1944-45
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'll go with Men At Arms
at #2629.

with the rule clarifications found here on BGG, and 30 or so scenarios its a game worth figuring out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for North Africa: War in the Desert, 1940-42.
. Listed at 2398 with a rating of 5.5. I rate it at 8.5. The game had problems out of the box, but the errata really did clear those up, and it's a fun game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
For me its Kriegspiel.

Lots of interesting ideas in this game. Plus the cover is so awful that it is a keeper!

I plan to one day to a serious remke of that one, combining it with concepts from Blitzkrieg and Field Marshal .

Sounds interesting. Blitzkrieg's and Kriegspiel's pseudo-historical mid-20th century warfare has some interesting possibilities. I'd love to see something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldbrownsfan wrote:
I'll go with Men At Arms
at #2629.

with the rule clarifications found here on BGG, and 30 or so scenarios its a game worth figuring out.

Isn't this the game where stopping your troops is the hard thing? That's a brilliant little nugget. And on squares, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Fall of South Vietnam

Not the deepest game ever, by any stretch, but it is simple, has clean rules, plays quickly, and is usually a nail-biter before its over. I don't see how that makes it 2,411 of the wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb

I have a soft spot for:

Feudal

We play differently.

We use a deck of cards. You draw a card and can move one piece.

Face card: Squire can move (like a chess knight.)

Number card: Any other unit can move up to that many squares within its normal movement limitations. (Ace = 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.