Subject: Unearth - Broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Peters

Garland
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules and forums, and played the game once. In our first game (4 players), everyone naturally went for the Ruins cards. The most Wonders anyone built was 2. There's so much to do with the Wonders, but the game doesn't last long enough to do it. Everyone went for the Named Wonders, naturally. I don't see how anyone would ever get a Greater Wonder - doesn't seem probable in the length of the game.

How does your mileage vary? Were we doing something wrong? Is gameplay different with 2 or 3 players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with 2 and 3 players. My last game was in 2 players and I built 4 Wonders. Not sure how you aren't getting enough stones to build them. You get a stone every time you roll a 1, 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't tried it with 4, but it works great with 2 fwiw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 4 player games. Most of the time 2-3, sometimes all 4 have 3 wonders built, often at least 2 greater wonders as well. Unless people are competing directly for stone colors getting a greater wonder isn't that difficult. It shouldn't be a first grab though, try to get a named wonder that helps your dice rolling, then go for scoring ones.

I had one game where I had the named wonder where you get 1 point per total blue stone. That wonder was surrounded by 5 blue stones, and connected to another full circle of blue stones with a greater wonder inside. 9 Points for Named Wonder, 8 points for Greater Wonder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
josephmpeters wrote:
I've read the rules and forums, and played the game once. In our first game (4 players), everyone naturally went for the Ruins cards. The most Wonders anyone built was 2. There's so much to do with the Wonders, but the game doesn't last long enough to do it. Everyone went for the Named Wonders, naturally. I don't see how anyone would ever get a Greater Wonder - doesn't seem probable in the length of the game.

How does your mileage vary? Were we doing something wrong? Is gameplay different with 2 or 3 players?

Thanks!

Because ruins are effectively the countdown timer, if everyone is going for collecting ruins over collecting stones, the game will run out before you've collected enough stones to build many wonders. A wonder-focused player should be doing whatever he can to make the game take longer so his strategy can bear fruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipafist wrote:
josephmpeters wrote:

Thanks!

Because ruins are effectively the countdown timer, if everyone is going for collecting ruins over collecting stones, the game will run out before you've collected enough stones to build many wonders. A wonder-focused player should be doing whatever he can to make the game take longer so his strategy can bear fruit.

Don't understand this. You collect stones each time you roll a 1, 2 or 3. How can you not get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

You collect stones each time you roll a 1, 2 or 3. How can you not get them?

Also, don't forget that delver cards having you re-roll your dice also grant you stones on rolls of 1-3. So you can possibly gain a few stones in one turn with plays like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so you played the game once and called it .. broken ? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of the game is to do everything effectively and synergize. It's not "A or B or C winning strategy" type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
josephmpeters wrote:

Thanks!

Yes. You were doing something wrong. a) You were wondering if a game was broken after one play, and though the game had been well received at GenCon and had been play-tested hundreds of times. b) You had only experienced a single strategy; you hadn't looked at others. c) You assumed there was only one strategy, or way to win! (I'm also doing a bit of assumption here - so forgive me if you did NOT assume building ruins was the best most effective, or only strategy for winning.)

I usually don't pass judgment on the 'brokenness' of a game until I've played it 100 times and have found scores of very experienced players claiming it was broken. This has only happened three times with me in my 70 years of active game-playing. In all three cases, i didn't discover they were broken, but others did, and eventually they were universally acknowledged, even by the designers, as 'broken,' and a fix was applied to salvage the games.

I've played many that 'didn't work for me,' but they weren't broken - I just didn't care for the game to play them long enough to discover the hidden strategies that made the game work.

BTW - I've only played Unearth three times: once with three players, and twice with four. In that limited time, we enjoyed the three player more than the four player games. Perhaps you have to approach the game differently depending on the number of players. Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone is going for ruins, you may not get a lot of time to build wonders. Greater wonders are worth quite a bit and may be better than some of the named wonders, depending on when you get them. Try it again, you'll get different results. Sometimes a game is quick, sometimes long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royal F
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If all the players focus only on Ruins... you WILL end the game sooner and intentionally not collect Wonders. You're basically racing to the End condition.

I played a game of three and all named ruins were earned and some lesser and greater. Each of us had completed 4 wonders. While the game was new to the others, they were experienced gamers and focused on getting stones, even reducing dice values to gather critical stones for Wonders over quicker Ruin claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Yes. You were doing something wrong. a) You ... b) You ... c) You ...

I usually don't pass judgment on the 'brokenness' of a game until I've played it 100 times

Good for you. Yet you pass judgment on people based on a single post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shuler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
royalef wrote:

...even reducing dice values to gather critical stones for Wonders over quicker Ruin claim.

Unless I'm misreading this, how are you doing that? I thought you can only gather stones on rerolling/rolling dice, not simply reducing values with some of the Delver cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.