Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're going to try this today. I'm calling the game "Sonar Contact!"

Each student pair gets a map with the XY plane on it. I've added some islands and such. I'm going to read off my course in the form of "one unit, positive Y" and "One unit north" or "2 units, Negative X". The first student pair that finds me and hits me with a torpedo gets a prize. "First" is determined by who I hear first to slap their table and shout FIRE FIRE FIRE!. My game, my judging.

They will have to report my position as an X,Y coordinate to be eligible.

Then if we can get enough plays in 30 minutes I may turn the class over and let a student pair drive and see if they can elude their classmates for more than X moves where X is some number after I figure out how long my maps will take to figure out.

I'm also NOT giving them overlays or transparencies. The copies are Black and White so they should be able to see through a piece of paper if they figure out to try that. I want that step to be part of their learning as well as the "hmm... what direction is Negative Y again?"

I teach 10th grade Geometry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben A
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great idea. I would like to hear your thoughts after trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ernest1b wrote:
This sounds like a great idea. I would like to hear your thoughts after trying it out.

So, it was marginal success.

First I didn't have nearly enough islands on the map. I need to totally remake (and recopy) all of my maps. The kids struggled to narrow down my path.

In the second class we played and instead of moving one unit at a time, I moved several in one direction and then turned. This gave me a longer path for them to try to line up. A few kids figured out to do the overlay and I think next time I take it out I'll give them overlays or tracing paper to use as part of the activity.

The time after that... we introduce silent drives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.