Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This question came up in a game in GenCon. The CMoN GM was a little unsure...

Does the Oni of Spite collect the reward for each province passed through using Fujin's benefit (1 figure, moved twice in a row) or just the final destination?

Here's the card for reference:

EDIT: Since kickstarter, the text on this card was changed to:

Quote:
When this enters a Province (for any reason), steal 2VP from each higher Honor player with any Force there.

In either case it's a good combo, but very strong if you get the benefit twice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I read "Move 1 of their figures twice in a row" as two separate moves, and not one single target province. I would say yes, he gets his power twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Each province he enters (but not necessarily stays). This means with Fujin's double move, in a base 5-player game he could steal upwards of 4 VP per territory he enters, but only if all other factions are present AND the player controlling Oni of Spite has the lowest honor amongst all players.

Here's this paraphrased from one of the KS project posts detailing the 8 base game monsters: "(Oni of Spite)steals Victory Points from all higher-Honor players in the Province it's moving into (or being Summoned into). ...a savvy low-Honor player can net an upwards of five Victory Points each time this guy moves" (I assume they were referring to a 6 player game in this instance)

It even mentioned a good pairing of this Oni to Raijin, whose previous double unit move ability has now been moved to Fujin for the retail release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
As others posted above, I'd agree that the Oni of Spite (as well as any other figure with a for any reason qualifier) would get to utilize their ability. I could also see a Fujin + Sunakake Baba combo being pretty annoying, depending on exactly how her mechanics work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with all of your interpretations.

The CMoN GM said you only get it once, hence the confusion. He may have called it wrong though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I thought Oni of Spite got buffed to steal 2 VP.

So if you win the Kami Fujin 3 times and are awarded Oni's ability twice each time then that is very strong. Thus Triggering the ability 6 times for each other player. Assuming you can find players grouped up in two provinces, then in a 3 player game that's potentially 24 VP. 4p = 36 VP. Also, it's a "steal" so other players take a hit, for an even bigger net difference.

Not like it can't be countered easily by a player with higher honor taking Fujin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:
I thought Oni of Spite got buffed to steal 2 VP.

So if you win the Kami Fujin 3 times and are awarded Oni's ability twice each time then that is very strong. Thus Triggering the ability 6 times for each other player. Assuming you can find players grouped up in two provinces, then in a 3 player game that's potentially 24 VP. 4p = 36 VP. Also, it's a "steal" so other players take a hit, for an even bigger net difference.

Not like it can't be countered easily by a player with higher honor taking Fujin.

You're right it did get changed (edit above). Since targets need presence in the Province now, it should be better in 3 and 4 player games and not too much better in 5+ player games. In the game I played, Provinces with more than 2 players in them was not common enough to bank on stealing more than 4VP per move.

Still, if you count the initial placement and 2 Marshal mandates, its possible to activate 9 times with Fujin, which is pretty crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.