Popular Tags: [View All]
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always assume everyone is smarter and more capable than I am, so that might be the answer right there, BUT, how do you folks solo and keep track of multiple characters, their ever changing and improving equipment/loot and skills, without forgetting everything between activations?

In one round, I changed a weapon three times, and upped two skills, then did it again the following round - insanity (for me).

Does everyone just have a really good process in place for checking everything on every character each activation? Or is everyone just a lot smarter than I am and this isn't a problem for anyone other than me?

I play Zombicide Black Plague solo all the time with no brain aneurysm, so maybe its just a matter of learning this system and round procedure, dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:
Does everyone just have a really good process in place for checking everything on every character each activation? Or is everyone just a lot smarter than I am and this isn't a problem for anyone other than me?

You're not entirely alone. While i consider MD to be an order of magnitude less fiddly than Sword & Sorcery, i find that the amount of fiddly in MD increases dramatically starting at level 3, and rises for each level after that. At level 3+ i spend more time checking (re-checking, and re-re-checking) skill and weapon abilities than doing anything else in the game. At levels 4 and 5, something like 75 or 80% of my time is spent checking abilities, rather than being able to concentrate on what's going on on the board. It's rather frustrating.

PS: i don't have ZBP but Zombicide classic is in my top 2 or 3 games and gets lots of table time with essentially zero time spent ((re-(re-))checking at character sheets and equipment cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
biggdork wrote:
I always assume everyone is smarter and more capable than I am, so that might be the answer right there, BUT, how do you folks solo and keep track of multiple characters, their ever changing and improving equipment/loot and skills, without forgetting everything between activations?

In one round, I changed a weapon three times, and upped two skills, then did it again the following round - insanity (for me).

I play Zombicide Black Plague solo all the time with no brain aneurysm, so maybe its just a matter of learning this system and round procedure, dunno.

I think different brains can handle it better than others, but it's definitely harder to keep track of things than Zombicide. Just more places to look for modifiers. Having struggled thus far, my last game was the easiest to handle (yet still tricky) as I limited it to 3 characters, and classes I'd played before. I know the Paladin of Fury is all about payback. I know the Warrior Priest spends bams for heals. Repeated plays is going to be key for me to get past the book-keeping and enjoy the story of the game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Crockett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's a knock I have against some dungeon crawlers. Both Mice and Mystics and D&D the Board Game require you to run four characters, that's a lot to deal with solo.

I plan to run Massive Darkness solo with 1 or 2 characters max, at least to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not just you. Some people claim to have no issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are forgetting things or playing wrong and not even realizing it. Some classes and heroes also require significantly less book keeping than others. The Shadow Barbarian has a couple skills you won't even be using most actions such as Charge and Throw Weapon so it makes it easier to focus on the few skills you will be using. Those skills used almost every action are pretty simple anyways. Compare that to the Sorcerer or Battle Wizard who have tons of skills, many of which play off one another, and which involve using tons of bams and diamons and ya, the difference is pretty clear.

With every play through I have watched on Youtube, I have noticed at least half a dozen things being missed or rules being played wrong. I was watching one video where all three players seemed to know the rules pretty well, but even still they were totally playing one skill wrong and each of them realized they forgot something on at least two different occasions. These were only the things they caught mind you, they actually made several other errors as well.

The game isn't very fluid when it comes to this. With up to 6 bought skills that can affect your character, another 2 from the hero, a free class skill, a signature skill, shadow and light zones, a piece of armor, up to 2 weapons, and several more items and set bonuses coming into play, it can really add up. It's especially bad when you are playing multiple heroes solo, playing with friends who have no idea what they are doing so you have to remember everything, or you have multiple items/set bonuses (up to 3 separate skills for a full set alone!). I think playing lots of games and focusing on only 1 or 2 characters will definitely speed things up in the future, but in the beginning it feels like it takes much more time than it should.

Compared to Zombicide, MD feels MUCH more fiddly. In Z:BP you only have one zone type (until GH hits...), there is no switching between light and dark zones. You only have a handful of fairly simple skills all in one nice and neat spot, there are less types of Zombies, the dice are easier to read quickly, your move actions aren't broken down into multiple more actions, etc. These things combined all make for a much quicker and more fluid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's why I'm soloing with only 1 Hero for now . Maybe later I will increase up to 2 Heroes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron bateman
United States
California
flag msg tools
How is it with a single hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schizrade wrote:

I tried it. Lost in the first turn twice (1st: Had bow, got caught in melee. 2nd; Had mace, mob drew plate armor). So I set up a second hero.

I probably should have chosen someone with slippery. Or just packed it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schizrade wrote:

On solo, I only played a few quests with Elias - Battle Wizard, and it was very fun and tactical, thanks to Teleport and hiding in the shadows ninja. (I was playing with nerfing Transmute and also started a Light Story Mode.)

Only Mobs having a single Minion is a little disappointing for a Mob (but it's not that a serious issue )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isai Vela
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me, I take it slow. I don't try to level up as soon as I have the XP. I try to get used to my current level and make sure that I can fully use their skills to the best of my remembrance. Once I got it down, I upgrade my skill tree. The only time I spend without thinking is if I see imminent death and the only way to survive is by upgrading. Even then, I take a hot minute to think everything through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ilikegames ilikegames
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I solo-ed with 2. paladin and barbarian. was nice to have that healing. While MD is not as fast pace as Z-Cide is; I do find it a faster game than other dungeon crawlers. I tried to solo Descent - coop adventure (one with the cards) and got destroyed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, everyone.

It sounds like my best approach will be to take it slow, get used to the characters and learn their skills/builds so I will just know and remember what they have without having to constantly look it up.

It all makes sense, I just wish I could get there faster!! It sounds like it will be a little painful, and require a lot of patience to actually get to the point where I can play fluidly. I can knock out a Z:BP game with my eyes closed, system wise, even after leaving it on the shelf for awhile, I suspect that will not be the case with MD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:

I place one-use items, like potions, below the character dashboard. Items/weapons I plan on transmuting, I place on the top.
The rest goes on the right hand side.
This way I have a good overview of every character.
I find it easy to run 2 or 3 characters. 4 characters is a bit more taxing and I would not play with 5+ characters at any point. I would only run 4 characters if I have an entire evening at my disposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept Discussed here. Before making a roll, you'd pick what skill you are using. Instead of doing that after. That way if you don't get the triggers for the skill you chose prior to the roll, you missed. May eliminate some stat checking on the skills side of things, but then again you'll still have equipment/items to check. Anyways, I'll be trying it out someday when my pledge arrives. (I'm sure SOMEONE will complain that my "opinion" is invalid because I haven't played the game....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Suspence wrote:
I like the concept Discussed here. Before making a roll, you'd pick what skill you are using. Instead of doing that after. That way if you don't get the triggers for the skill you chose prior to the roll, you missed. May eliminate some stat checking on the skills side of things, but then again you'll still have equipment/items to check. Anyways, I'll be trying it out someday when my pledge arrives. (I'm sure SOMEONE will complain that my "opinion" is invalid because I haven't played the game....)

I do think I'd have an easier time if I made that switch in thinking. Looking at what I want from my bams before I roll, instead of after. Too used to just flinging dice asap I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.