Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Galaxy Explorer - The Duel [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest] Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Galaxy Explorer - The Duel

This is my Game for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest

Overview
The Duel is a dice rolling game where two players engage in space combat by shooting at each other with their motherships supported by a fleet of starships that the players build up during the game. The gameplay is very simple and easy to learn, players roll 5 dice to perform actions and to collect a powerful resource called deuterium which is used to build:
Starship Cards - to attack the opponent
Enhancement Cards - to repair damage
Technology Cards - to improve dice usability

Number of Players: 1-2 Players
Play Time - 30/40 min

Components:
16 MAIN SHIP cards
2 STARSHIP LOCATION card
3 ASSAULT LOCATION card
2 ENHANCEMENT LOCATION card
2 MAIN SHIP DAMAGE tracking card
36 STARSHIP cards
14 ENHANCEMENT cards
6 TECHNOLOGY ADVANCE cards
2 die to track the Deuterium Quantity
20 markers to track damages
5 dice of the same color (crew)
1 die for Activation and Health Check rolls

Link to Files (Rules & Components)
Download The Game

Blue Player

Red Player

Some of the cards

I have laminated the cards, when you press them they are below 17mm height

Enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Star Trek - The Duel [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest] Components Ready
I'm not certain you are allowed to call this Star Trek without the appropriate license. Looks interesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gone through files but game looks great!
As for the IP, few suggestions would be Star Track, Star Crack, Space Trek if you really want to have it close to the original. Though i don't think that you are in the trouble if you are doing this as a free fan-made pnp. Star Trek the Dice Game by Carl White is here almost two years and i don't think i've heard he had any problems. Maybe you should ask him about that?

Good luck with your game,
Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
djayshaggy wrote:
I'm not certain you are allowed to call this Star Trek without the appropriate license. Looks interesting, though.

Really? well, I am ok to change the name, is there a way to check that I am really not allowed? If I have to...I will rename it to "Galaxy Duel"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Post the question in the main contest thread or pm the contest organizer. I know you aren't allowed to use copyrighted images, and I know in the solo contest someone changed their TMNT game to something more generic to avoid any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Star Trek, and even a bigger fan of Star Fleet Battles.
SFB uses Feds, Klingons, Orion, Gorn, Romulans...all the usually races, but also Kzinti and others.

The name SFB had to be used due to Star Trek copyrights. (There was a FASA Star Trek game that paid the royalties to use the name.)

I'd suggest changing the name, but as long as you don't have any grand plans on ever publishing this, I doubt CBS or Paramount will come after you.

You should also avoid copyrighted names such as Kirk, NCC-1701 and Enterprise. However, you can satire those names in your game. For instance you could rename your game
T.I.N. 1701 or
The Kobayashi TINu or
Encounter at MINT-point Station, or even
"Damn it, Jim! I'm a satirical game in Mint Tin, not a copyright infringer!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
btw...subscribed. I like where this is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: Galaxy Explorer - The Duel [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest] Components Ready
Thanks to everybody for the advices, I changed the name to "Galaxy Explorer - The Duel"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DylanCane wrote:
Thanks to everybody for the advices, I changed the name to "Galaxy Explorer - The Duel"

Smart move. Better safe than sorry...
I also backed Deep Space D-6 and when I saw this, it immediately reminded me of it, even before I read your comments above. I'm gonna check this out over the next few days.
Thanks!

EDIT: Quick read over the rules. Under the "Turn Sequence" section, you skip #2. 1=Starting Roll, 3=Activate Command Center... No big deal. Will keep reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
WayCoolSuperDude wrote:

EDIT: Quick read over the rules. Under the "Turn Sequence" section, you skip #2. 1=Starting Roll, 3=Activate Command Center... No big deal. Will keep reading.

Thanks John, You will probably find more mistakes, once you are done, I will update the Rules.

I am thinking about a way to put together an example of gameplay...any idea you are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have made few changes to the Rules which are now version 0.2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephano. Nuq neqq!
Here is some feedback/suggestions I have after reading your rules and playing the game.

1) I printed it out on light card stock and it would not fit into a mint tin. [image}

2) Here are some minor rule confusions I had, as well as some language corrections since you're producing the rules in English--which, by the way I am quite impressed as I couldn't even attempt to write rules in German.

Change the term TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES to ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY (or just TECHNOLOGY) -
They are built in the same way as enhancements. These technology cards are permanent and cannot be targeted or attacked.

Turn Sequence
4) Assault
5) Remaining Actions
7) Assign damage/Enhancement Actions

BUILD
...The top card of a given location is the first target of that location.

LONG RANGE WEAPONS
If you can place 2 dice per box (1-2-3 and 4-5-6) does that mean you can only place 4 dice total?
Why not make the attacks immediate?

REPAIR
This power seemed OP since two 3s refresh Shields before using them to repair. I alsways placed one or two of my WILD Command Centre dice here to refresh shield and repair 2.

For each "3" assigned here repair one hull and one damaged item (attacked ship or enhancement).

HEAL
Healed units (recovered dice) cannot be rolled until next turn.

ASSIGN DAMAGE
Don't use the word "damages" (which is more of a legal and economic term),just use damage.

END GAME
I assumed (while playing) that you mean 3 main ship locations. I played for quite a while but alas didn't finish because my 9 month-old son demanded my attention...and then ate some cat litter.

I found it for too easy to heal and repair. I'd suggest combining those two dice actions into one (maybe a 3 forces you to choose to heal all wounded, repair some damage, or refresh shields).

Also, I think it would make more sense for the Command Die to allow placement on the 2 (Short Range Weapons). The Command Die (which is a Wild) would feel better as a 6, so maybe swap your 6 DEUTERIUM with the 5 COMMAND CENTRE for dice placement.

I had a great time playing and the dice roll was smooth. It was too easy to maintain Shields and Repair though. I look forward to trying again next weekend.

Cheers!
MH

PS, have you thought about having the attack ships be of multiple races? Romulan, Orion, Tholian, Borg, Ferengi, Dominion, Rogue "your race", etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you very much Mike!! really appreciate this!

I do not have much time now, I will respond point by point to your suggestions this Sunday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
Hi Stephano. Nuq neqq!
Here is some feedback/suggestions I have after reading your rules and playing the game.

1) I printed it out on light card stock and it would not fit into a mint tin. [image}

yes, with cardstock would be too thick, I have laminated it and fits (I have also reduced the amount of dice, both players use the same 5 dice now)
kzinti wrote:

2) Here are some minor rule confusions I had, as well as some language corrections since you're producing the rules in English--which, by the way I am quite impressed as I couldn't even attempt to write rules in German.

Me neither, my German is still too bad (I am Italian) :-)
kzinti wrote:

Change the term TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES to ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY (or just TECHNOLOGY) -
They are built in the same way as enhancements. These technology cards are permanent and cannot be targeted or attacked.

ok, I changed it to TECHNOLOGY only
kzinti wrote:

Turn Sequence
4) Assault
5) Remaining Actions
7) Assign damage/Enhancement Actions

I had changed the turn sequence and wording already. I have now also changed DAMAGES to DAMAGE everywhere
kzinti wrote:

BUILD
...The top card of a given location is the first target of that location.

Done
kzinti wrote:

LONG RANGE WEAPONS
If you can place 2 dice per box (1-2-3 and 4-5-6) does that mean you can only place 4 dice total?
Why not make the attacks immediate?

I explained it better now, "You may also place more than one die in the same box"; I have not made the attacks immediate to differentiate from Deep Space D6.
kzinti wrote:

REPAIR
This power seemed OP since two 3s refresh Shields before using them to repair. I alsways placed one or two of my WILD Command Centre dice here to refresh shield and repair 2.

I have not explained it well. You either use the double 3s to repair shields OR you repair Hull and Starships/Enhancements. I will try to explain it better in the next Rules version.
kzinti wrote:

For each "3" assigned here repair one hull and one damaged item (attacked ship or enhancement).

HEAL
Healed units (recovered dice) cannot be rolled until next turn.

ASSIGN DAMAGE
Don't use the word "damages" (which is more of a legal and economic term),just use damage.

ok
kzinti wrote:

END GAME
I assumed (while playing) that you mean 3 main ship locations. I played for quite a while but alas didn't finish because my 9 month-old son demanded my attention...and then ate some cat litter.

I mean that, when the Hull reaches 8 points damage it can never be repaired and with shields down the next damage are assigned to one of the 6 main Areas of the Main Ship (the Areas where you place the dice) In my tests with my 10 years old son we always reached it (ok sometimes I surrendered earlier).
kzinti wrote:

I found it for too easy to heal and repair. I'd suggest combining those two dice actions into one (maybe a 3 forces you to choose to heal all wounded, repair some damage, or refresh shields).

I think that the misunderstanding with the usage of the dice #3 will fix this for you
kzinti wrote:

Also, I think it would make more sense for the Command Die to allow placement on the 2 (Short Range Weapons). The Command Die (which is a Wild) would feel better as a 6, so maybe swap your 6 DEUTERIUM with the 5 COMMAND CENTRE for dice placement.

ok good point with the 6 instead of 5 but I would like to keep the fact you cannot use it as short range weapon to force the player to buy enhancements
kzinti wrote:

I had a great time playing and the dice roll was smooth. It was too easy to maintain Shields and Repair though.

At the beginning it is maybe easy to repair, but when you build 3-4 Starships the games takes another speed. At the beginning is more like "Planning what to do: buy Enhancements, Starships or Technology?", the second half of the game is "pure battle" -> Have you used the ASSAULT option?, this is very useful when the enemy shields are down!
kzinti wrote:

I look forward to trying again next weekend.
Cheers!
MH
PS, have you thought about having the attack ships be of multiple races? Romulan, Orion, Tholian, Borg, Ferengi, Dominion, Rogue "your race", etc?

Could be a good idea...Thanks again for the test!!
I am gonna replace the Rules today to the new version 0.3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick M.
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey this looks nice! Do you know if there is a video about a session and or the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I am thinking since a while to do a short Video but I am not that confident that my English would be good enough and also I feel a bit ashamed, never made a video... :-) Let`s see if I gain some courage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Rules updated to V0.4, I have swapped the 5 with the 6 as suggested by testers and removed from the game 4 cards which were used only to "mark" positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stef.
Looking forward to it again this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have tested the game again. I played 5 times with my son during this week-end and we came up with the need of some "balancing" because if you start strong you end up winning for sure. The rules version 0.5 have been updated with the following:

1)
Losing a Card
When a card is removed from game, the owning player gets deuterium as
“compensation”:
Card Cost = 1,2 -> 1 Deuterium
Card Cost = 3,4 -> 2 Deuterium
Card Cost = 5,6 -> 3 Deuterium

2)
REINFORCEMENTS
When the Hull is permanently
destroyed, the player gets
reinforcements: 3 x d6 are rolled, the
the d6 with the higher number shows
the amount of Deuterium that the
player has at disposal to buy new Cards.

3)
Heavy Bombers
The Heavy Bombers now procure 2 Damage instead of 3 (which was excessive)

...and ...the rules are Mintized!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Rules updated to version 0.6, again I have tried to improve the readability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A brief suggestion on the rules: how about introducing the goal of the game (destroy wpenemy mothership?) in the very first paragraph. Acknowledge the games that we're your inspiration at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
A brief suggestion on the rules: how about introducing the goal of the game (destroy wpenemy mothership?) in the very first paragraph. Acknowledge the games that we're your inspiration at the end.

Yes, you are right, thanks for the advice, in the version 0.7 I also changed the term "Main Ship" into "Mothership".

I found an interesting video from "the game crafter" about making rules, I will have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano, since the rulebook is actually a set of cards you might consider numbering them for the correct sequence.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkPadawan wrote:
Stefano, since the rulebook is actually a set of cards you might consider numbering them for the correct sequence.

Dark.

Alternately, as a mint-tin design you could condense the rules into one or two long and accordion sheets. That would also fit nicely into the tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks guys, again good advices which I am going to follow, in the meanwhile I worked on this (totally unprofessional) video...

Short and simple Youtube Video.

UPDATE: I have removed the video, it was made with reference to new rules I am testing (Long Range Weapon to produce damage to Starships too) but I finally decided not to apply them. A new Video will follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.