Subject: Would you be interested in a "Bezier Greatest Hits" map pack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the recent Heavy Cardboard interview with Ted Alspach where the idea of reprinting some of Ted's/Bezier's old Age of Steam maps was briefly discussed, my creative juices started flowing.

To me, this type of thing seems like a perfect use for Kickstarter. It's a niche product that some people would really value, but that audience, in the big scheme of things isn't GIANT.

So, let me throw out a poll there and see if there's interest in this idea and how big this interest might be. The goal here is to attract Ted's attention and maybe I'll finally be able to pick up some of these maps at a reasonable price.

Poll: Some questions about Age of Steam maps
1. Would you be interested in a "Bezier's Greatest Hits" Kickstarter for out-of-print Age of Steam maps, including such maps as Bay Area, Disco Inferno, Soul Train, etc.?
Yes without hesitation
Yes, if the price is right
Yes, depending on the maps included
No
Other
2. Which of these options seems most palatable to you (given that obviously some would cost more than others)?
Double sided mounted boards in a suitably sided box
Single sided mounted boards in a suitably sized box
Double sided thin "card stock" maps in a thin box
Other
3. Assuming that you may already own a few of these maps, how much of an impact does those previously-owned maps have on your decision to back such a Kickstarter?
I'll back it regardless of the maps I own, just to get these maps in the hands of gamers
I'll back it to get nice mounted versions of some of my older maps
I'll back it if the majority of maps are ones I don't own
I'll back it just to get one particular rare map
Other
4. Which maps would you most like to see in such a Kickstarter? (I have no ideas about the rights to these maps, but they're ones designed by Ted Alspach.)
1830s Pennsylvania
1867 Georgia Reconstruction
African Diamond Mines
Alabama Railways
Amazon Rainforest
America
Antebellum Louisiana
Atlantis
Bay Area
California Gold Rush
Disco Inferno
Disorient Express
Europe
Four Corners
Golden Spike
Jamaica
Mississippi Steamboats
New Hampshire
Northern California
Oklahoma Land Rush
Orient Express
Outer Space
Puerto Rico
Reversteam
Sahara Desert
Secret Blueprints of Steam
Sharing
Soul Train
South Carolina
Taiwan Cube Factories
Trisland
Underground Railroad
Vermont
Vermont/New Hampshire combined
      151 answers
Poll created by trenttsd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted no because I've got all the ones I want (no interest in Disco/Soul). That's helpful, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested if it gave me the possibility to get maps I don't already own for about $10-15 / map.

But I have serious doubts has to keep the price relatively low you need a great number of copies and I think you can get a great number of backers only if you have a modular offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I voted no because I've got all the ones I want (no interest in Disco/Soul). That's helpful, right? ;)

disco is actually a really good map IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wasn't Sun / London Map from JC listed as an option? I've been after it for sometime now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
Why wasn't Sun / London Map from JC listed as an option? I've been after it for sometime now.

Because the list only includes maps designed by Ted Alspach, not the ones someone else designed and he published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Deaddogdays wrote:
Why wasn't Sun / London Map from JC listed as an option?

The files for all my AoS maps, including London & Sun, are freely available to make yourself. There's no need to wait for someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm very new to Age of Steam so almost any pack that provides a sufficient discount vs à la carte will be in my interest. I voted for cardstock and the thin box only because there's no option to vote for rules and a personal print and play license/assets. I am not enthusiastic at the prospect of a heavy, bulky stack of mounted mapboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Deaddogdays wrote:

Because the list only includes maps designed by Ted Alspach, not the ones someone else designed and he published.

Ted might be able to include other Bezier-published maps. I have no idea about that. However, I feel pretty good that he'd have the rights to his own maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my AoS wish list includes this (steam brothers?) one:
Age of Steam Expansion: Brazil / Chicago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those with access to a color laser printer and have some crafting skills some sanctioned redraws are available in this geeklist. Not everything is present from this survey, but probably enough to keep you cutting for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, Ted told me that if there was at least 500 folks interested, he would take the time to re-format the files so that they could be PnP and he would make them available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Izzo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My whish list is:

#1: England & Ireland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayward
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Fwiw, Ted told me that if there was at least 500 folks interested, he would take the time to re-format the files so that they could be PnP and he would make them available.

THIS is exactly what is needed.

I would pay a decent amount straight to Bezier just to gain access to the PNP files and print at my leisure with a local printer.

How do we track getting to 500?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any progress on a PnP release or a boxed set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.