Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All,

I know this is jumping the gun, but...I see that the latest reprint of Ladies of Troyes has just come in stock at Cool Stuff Inc today and I'm wondering if anyone happened to get their hands on this latest reprint before today and can verify if the errors listed in this thread have been corrected?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm placing an order to CSI now. I can report back in a few days. If the errors are still there I don't really want to keep waiting. Sounds like it is pretty minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jrdavis4 wrote:
I'm placing an order to CSI now. I can report back in a few days. If the errors are still there I don't really want to keep waiting. Sounds like it is pretty minor.

Cool. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The list of errors is very minor. I was quite concerned and worried about buying the expansion. I ended up with a copy of the old version through a trade, and once I saw it was mostly cosmetic issues, I wasn't upset.

The correct rulebook is available online. The cardbacks, meeples, and dice are slightly different. Look at the pictures. It's not a big deal. One card had its background color changed, which is 100% cosmetic.

Yes, I'd prefer everything matched but I'm happy to have the expansion with these very minor issues. I hope they got fixed, but if they didn't it's not game breaking or even something that has to be fixed. Well, except printing out some rules that may still be missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a copy this week that just got back in print, from 401games in Toronto.

The cards are still of a slightly different shade. It's kind of minor but still sort of gets on my nerve. But I'm like that. At least, the expansion provides you with an entire new set of objective (personality) cards. You can replace the old ones (Urbain, Chretien de Troyes, etc...) with the new ones so that you can't immediately tell that your opponent is holding one of the new Ladies personality cards... Especially when you play only 2 players, then each player gets 2 cards, and if you hold them side by side you can tell immediately that he's holding a Lady if he has an older personality card in his hand. Just use the whole set of new ones.

The new cards kind of feel different too. I find it hard to describe, the old cards had a nice "matte" almost ... powdery (?) feeling to them. They felt better in the hand. The new cards have a "shinier" and slightly stickier feel. Eh. The shade of the newer cards is more "yellow-red" whereas the older cards had a more muted appearance. I prefer the feel of old cards.

Another point about the cards... The activity cards in my base game had the French name written bigger, and the English name written in small print under the main title. I've waited for a Ladies of Troyes that would match that, because again, I'm like that. But it never seems to have come. So I gave up and got this expansion version, which has only the English name. Not a huge deal, but it's affecting my odd brain.

----

My Appendix seems to have been corrected. Chief Outlaw, for instance, has the right description.

My Isabeau de Baviere is red/yellow, although I don't see how that's an issue. It's just weird that she's blue on the cover. I bet I wouldn't have noticed that one had I not read about it.

The 8/4/2 level IV outdoors activity card is correct and the rules also state 8/4/2.

The dice are slightly smaller. But it's not really an issue for me.

---

I'm glad I got the expansion, but if it's not obvious, I'm rather annoyed by the cards. I got the expansion because I sort of gave up on the "issues" being fixed. Troyes is amazing. It's just my personal perfectionist obsessions that are kicking in. None of this impacts gameplay in the end. I guess you could start memorizing which activity cards are the new ones, and if you are really hoping this hidden "Age III" card is going to be a specific card, you could know in advance that it has no chance of being that card based on its back. But since I have the memory of a goldfish, that's never really an issue for me.

I wonder if the new printing of Troyes that is also available at least matches the new Ladies of Troyes printing? My version of the base game is a multilingual version from Pearl Games that I got this year, one of the last copies available in the country before this new reprint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SimonL wrote:
I got a copy this week that just got back in print, from 401games in Toronto.

The cards are still of a slightly different shade. It's kind of minor but still sort of gets on my nerve. But I'm like that. At least, the expansion provides you with an entire new set of objective (personality) cards. You can replace the old ones (Urbain, Chretien de Troyes, etc...) with the new ones so that you can't immediately tell that your opponent is holding one of the new Ladies personality cards... Especially when you play only 2 players, then each player gets 2 cards, and if you hold them side by side you can tell immediately that he's holding a Lady if he has an older personality card in his hand. Just use the whole set of new ones.

The new cards kind of feel different too. I find it hard to describe, the old cards had a nice "matte" almost ... powdery (?) feeling to them. They felt better in the hand. The new cards have a "shinier" and slightly stickier feel. Eh. The shade of the newer cards is more "yellow-red" whereas the older cards had a more muted appearance. I prefer the feel of old cards.

Another point about the cards... The activity cards in my base game had the French name written bigger, and the English and German name written in small print under the main title. I've waited for a Ladies of Troyes that would match that, because again, I'm like that. But it never seems to have come. So I gave up and got this expansion version, which has only the English name. Not a huge deal, but it's affecting my odd brain.

----

My Appendix seems to have been corrected. Chief Outlaw, for instance, has the right description.

My Isabeau de Baviere is red/yellow, although I don't see how that's an issue. It's just weird that she's blue on the cover. I bet I wouldn't have noticed that one had I not read about it.

The 8/4/2 level IV outdoors activity card is correct and the rules also state 8/4/2.

The dice are slightly smaller. But it's not really an issue for me.

---

I'm glad I got the expansion, but if it's not obvious, I'm rather annoyed by the cards. I got the expansion because I sort of gave up on the "issues" being fixed. Troyes is amazing. It's just my personal perfectionist obsessions that are kicking in. None of this impacts gameplay in the end. I guess you could start memorizing which activity cards are the new ones, and if you are really hoping this hidden "Age III" card is going to be a specific card, you could know in advance that it has no chance of being that card based on its back. But since I have the memory of a goldfish, that's never really an issue for me.

I wonder if the new printing of Troyes that is also available at least matches the new Ladies of Troyes printing? My version of the base game is a multilingual version from Pearl Games that I got this year, one of the last copies available in the country before this new reprint...

Hi Simon. Everything you've said...how you see these details, how they bother you, etc, completely resonates with me and I thank you for your detailed response about this latest Ladies reprint. I really appreciate it.

Because I know that those details would bother me to no end and because there are (always) so many other games/expansions I can/want to spend my money on and because this expansion is a bit on the pricier side, I think I'll personally pass for now. Thanks again for your helpful feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Meyer
United States
Salina
Kansas
flag msg tools
[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=dr_lavo&numitems=10&header=1&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make your own mini-expansion, you can add a set of purple (or any color dice that is not red/white/yellow/black) at 1 per player, and use the rules for head of household dice (that special dice no one can buy from you). It makes it slightly easier to get stuff done and minimizes the take-that aspect of the game. All it requires is 4 dice of a different color!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know theoretically all the modules can be used individually, but I've been wondering if using just the purple dice without activity tiles may not be at the root of some people's complaint that the purple dice remove some of the tension. With new activity tiles, you have a new place to spend dice, so the extra purple dice is helpful.

I'm sorry this is off topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Meyer
United States
Salina
Kansas
flag msg tools
[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=dr_lavo&numitems=10&header=1&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do remove some of the tension, which is good if you are introducing new players to the game, or if playing with those who do not like getting all of their options bought away from them.

I have both of those in my group, so I bought the expansion. I also sleeve all my cards, so the sheen of the sleeve helps mask the color differences and texture differences. However, I didn't notice any real color differentiation on my printing, except for the orange player pieces were a lighter orange than the original set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_lavo wrote:
However, I didn't notice any real color differentiation on my printing, except for the orange player pieces were a lighter orange than the original set.

I think you would notice it on my cards. What version of the base game do you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene L
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the reprint and can say that there are noticeable differences if you look. Both the cards and the meeples are a different hue/ value/ saturation. Not sure if the casual eye will catch it, but it's disappointing that the teutonic attention to detail is flagging. Still had wanted this expansion and paid full retail MSRP - and no regrets good to see it reprinted despite flaws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robble03 wrote:
The teutonic attention to detail.

Aren't those often fighting words in Belgium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene L
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I figured since it was printed in DE I could throw a little blame there. There's actually a nifty documentary video on YouTube about the printing / distribution of games (Ludo Fact). In it they actually show the stockpile of games and highlight how they use those proofs to color match for future printings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the LATEST Ladies reprint to go with my Troyes reprint copy from a few months ago.

The dice match exactly.

The Ladies cards "feel" the exact same to me, texture-wise. Non-issue with sleevers, anyway.

The Ladies cards are ever-so-slightly richer and more saturated in color. I can't tell the difference much, even less if I sleeve them. It's pretty much par for the course for this hobby (sigh). If someone really can tell the difference that well, just deal out activity cards at the beginning of the turn instead of earlier in the turn. Either leave the spots blank or deal "placeholder" cards from the deck to mark spots, but not use them. I, personally, won't bother. My lighting is too poor to notice lol.

For character cards, they smartly reprinted all 9. And yes, one of the cards doesn't match her box-cover picture. No biggie.

All other misprints seem to be fixed. Overall, I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Found one error on the player aid. The Herbalist description is the exact same as the Chief Templar. Grrr.

For those that need the info, the Herbalist allows you to spend 1 cube to use 1 White die as 3 Red dice of the same number (i.e. 5W=5R,5R,5R), similar to the Monk's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I just got the LATEST Ladies reprint to go with my Troyes reprint copy from a few months ago.

The dice match exactly.

The Ladies cards "feel" the exact same to me, texture-wise. Non-issue with sleevers, anyway.

The Ladies cards are ever-so-slightly richer and more saturated in color. I can't tell the difference much if I sleeve them. It's pretty much par for the course for me with expansions in genera for this hobby (sigh). If someone really can tell the difference that well, just deal out activity cards at the beginning of the turn instead of earlier in the turn. Either leave the spots blank or deal "placeholder" cards from the deck to mark spots, but not use them. I, personally, won't bother. My lighting is too poor to notice lol.

For character cards, they smartly reprinted all 9. And yes, one of the cards doesn't match her box-cover picture. No biggie.

All other misprints seem to be fixed. Overall, I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Found one error on the player aid. The Herbalist description is the exact same as the Chief Templar. Grrr.

Thanks so much for posting your experience, Michael. I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Compared to You, I'm just a nighlight, against the blazing Son." --Jimmy Needham
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
t.

For those that need the info, the Herbalist allows you to spend 1 cube to use 1 White die as 3 Red dice of the same number (i.e. 5W=5R,5R,5R), similar to the Monk's ability.

That's insane. I received my copy today, and the Herbalist info is printed correctly on the player aid: "Use 1 white die as though it were 3 red dice of the same value. You cannot use more than 1 white die for this action. if you purchase the die from another player's district, it costs 2 deniers. You cannot add additional red dice."

Sorry yours had a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a link to the PDF of the latest expansion rules from the Pearl Games site for anyone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.