Hide
1 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: My attempt at player mats using felt. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maaltan natlaam
msg tools
I got a little annoyed with things sliding around while playing and being i have a laser cutter handy, i decided to put it to use and cut some simple mats for Aeon's end.

There isn't much to them so, I'm sure they could be cut with a knife or scissors just as easy.

These are made from 2 full sheets felt. One has windows cut into it. When glued together these windows become indentations that hold the player mat and breach cards. This allows them to kind of "snap in" and lay level with surface of felt.

Materials:
* acrylic craft felt - about 23c a sheet from walmart craft section.
* fusible webbing - about $2 a square yard from walmart fabric section. Comes in paper backed and non paper backed
* parchment paper or plastic backed freezer paper - get it from grocery section of store. Only required if non-paper backed webbing is used. It is still useful to keep the webbing off your tools.

Full procedure:

1. Pick 2 sheets of felt in pleasing color combination

2. Cut a piece of fusible webbing to size of felt and iron it on using the instructions that came with the webbing. Never iron it directly as it will stick everywhere. Note: I did not use steam and damp rag as indicated in the instructions. I was afraid the moisture would deform the felt. Using the steam probably helps prevent burning the felt and webbing.

3. Take the now adhesive backed felt to laser cutter (or your x-acto blades) and let it do its thing. You may leave paper on it if you dont mind it also getting cut.

4. Take the cut piece, remove backing paper if neccessary, and align it with base piece of felt.

5. Iron them together again following webbing instructions. I recommend using parchment here also because that webbing is a pain to get off your iron.

6. Trim edge if needed to remove extra webbing/misaligned felt.

Notes:
* It is possible to burn the webbing and felt. Practice is recommended if you are not used to working with this stuff or are using an unfamiliar iron.

* The webbing sticks to almost everything when it is melted. Your iron, ironing board, and any stray fingers that get in the way.

* Each sheet of felt is slightly different sizes. you can tug on it somewhat to resize. On the same note, be gentle with the cut piece of felt. It is easy to deform the narrow sections which will cause things to distort a bit when ironed.

* White glue also works to attach the layers of felt. It will be less flexible though once try and may not fold well. Make sure to focus on the thin areas around the breeches as they need to be stuck down well to keep the cards contained properly.

* These fold into quarters and fit nicely into the foamcore box insert system posted elsewhere.

also:
I created the pattern in inkscape. Since, it doesn't seem that file type is accepted here so I need to figure out how to get it into a PDF either with size labels, or perfect "to scale" output.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this happen I'm all ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.