The Wizard Always Wins» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Improve your odds, then press your luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beth Robinson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this game and its mix of strategy and luck.

It feels like a press your luck game, except you want to improve your odds first before you go for the win.

You spend most of the game selecting which action group (character you are) each turn from a limited pool of options you share with other players. This determines both what you get to do and what your turn order is next round. The goal is to build and turn in sets to add winning tokens (gems) to the bag and increase how many tokens you can pull (your level) when you go for it. And you have to be the wizard to do that, which explains the name of the game.

I played once with three people (me, my husband, our nine year old) and once with five (same plus two other kids a little older) and both times went well. It took a couple rounds for the kids eyes to light up and see the dependencies but that was plenty of time for one of them to win the 5 person game.

It was a little too straightforward with three, although still enjoyable. The most desirable actions/characters seemed more obvious and easier to obtain. I think it will be most interesting with 4 or 5 players.

The theme isn't necessary, but it meshes well with the actions. The pieces are colorful and sturdy.

For my family it is a good, light game we will be happy to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.