15 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: My thoughts on Bespin campaign so far. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I just finished the second mission, reclassified and that one is extremely tough for the rebels I must say.

They have to do so much, have so little time to do it and enemies keep piling up. The heroes had some bad luck with attack rolls though, and simply are not outfitted that well yet.

I'm running this campaign against myself like I did with the main campaign (I need that app) And decided to make a team out of heroes I did not use yet so I can get familiar with them in the short campaign.
I spend their starting 3XP, and saved the 2XP they got from winning the first mission.

The team consists of:

-Mak. (Jeswandi training and Supply network)
-Onar Koma. (Stay behind me and Get down)
-Shyla. (Responsiveness and Proximity strike. Has Bacta pump, Laminate armor and vibrosword.)
-Davith. (Shrouded lightsaber, has combat coat and portable medkit)

Since this mission seems to focus on Davith so much, I gave him a slight boon in the sixth turn: He got to do four actions in his turn.

He went first in the final turn and was the only healthy hero left. Had to waste his last turn healing behind a corner in the office while Shyla only managed to get one succes in cracking the safe.
Still he just barely managed to crack the safe and get to the shuttle, and still nearly got defeated if it was not for Omar moving in front of him to make it hard for anyone to reach Davith.

I know that they would never had won without that little boon, but I feel like it was fair considering that I used two scum villains for the nemesis deck. Bossk and Jabba make for a powerful team.
The "leave them to me" card allowed me to field both.
Jabba kept raising threat and giving Bossk extra attacks, and Bossk regenerates and his +2 damage pretty much guarantees he deals good damage.

The rebels only managed to gather two clues, there simply was no time for more. Davith just barely managed to get the required succes rolls on the safe test.

So far I do feel that this rebel team is pretty descent, they just need to be build up more. Only Mak has not really contributed much yet, he needs a better rifle but no rifle was ever for sale so far.

Reclamation was not that hard for them though, but I did not imagine it would be since it's the starting mission. Davith taking out Agent Blaise single handedly before he could do anything helped of course. (after that he was cornered and taken out quickly though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:

So far I do feel that this rebel team is pretty descent....

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Nemesis was you picked one Scum and one Imperial villain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Heh never played descent and was completely unaware of that.

I know its supposed to be a scum and an imperial, but I only have Darth Vader and don't want to use a token for it. Already used Darth Vader plenty of times during the main campaign. I only used Bossk once before, in a skirmish, and never used Jabba before.

Once I have at least two imperial villains so that I can choose I'll use it the proper way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Last mission where they had to free prisoners from Trandoshans and defeat Bosk was well balanced I feel.

Being able to place doors down really saved their skin. Two heroes where wounded and the other two where at about half health.

The elite gammoreans dealt a crazy amount of damage, the Ugnauts where pretty nasty too due to being able to cause bleed. Jabba thrived with all these scum forces too, and was able to give some extra healing to Bossk and focus him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
Last mission where they had to free prisoners ... was well balanced I feel.

I have played it three times now with different groups and it has never been close. Once I got into the last round by spending agenda cards (although if the rebels had noticed one trick even that one would have been over sooner). Maybe my rebels have had better armaments and class cards. Even one good weapon will have a big difference.

Or I just haven't found the working imperial strategy yet.

Or more probably, due to playing with MHD-19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Well the Imperial side had the nemesis deck and Jabba was deployed from the start to provide extra attacks to scum units, increase threat, put strain on heroes that get near and heal friendly units which gives them focus too.

Elite gammoreans also helped the imperial side a lot in these corridors, they roll 2 red dice for damage and can reroll one. An attack of one of them is often enough to break open a door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
And just finished the campaign, final mission was Cloud city's secret.
While all heroes did their part, Shyla and Davith carried the team.

Onar was a great bodyguard to Davith when he grabbed the codes though, just moved in front of him so few enemies could get in range and still he could absorb some damage done to Davith.

Shyla proved to be a good counter against the Elite Gammoreans with her full sweep attack which does 3 cleave damage. She pulled one with her whip to break the window before attacking and inflicting bleed, which prevented him from attacking Davith who was close with the codes and ran for it to the extraction points.

Darth Vader moved pretty quick since the nemesis deck allowed me to give him +2 movement at the start of his turn, but Shyla pulled him back with her whip through the window, and still was able to put the attack against him to good use due to cleave which killed the second Gammorean (the first still went after Davith) and damaged Jabba.
Next turn she pulled Vader back to the other side of her and used her attack to kill Jabba.

This gave Davith some time to deal with the enemies he had there, three stormtroopers and a Gammorean who was in range. I figured resting and attacking was best there, the Gammorean was in range and damaged. He killed it, managed to survive the stormtroopers and killed most of them next round (when Vader was pulled back) due to fell swoop, which he was able to use twice due to having the holocron.

Davith really was the perfect one for getting the codes, he was hidden during the final stretch which made it hard for anyone to get close enough to get good shots in and he can move far during his turn due to force speed.
Darth Vader chocked him, but it was not enough, and Shyla was able to catch up to use her body as a shield.

Only Mak was injured, early on even due to the elite ISB infiltrators and Lando was defeated too. The others managed to get rest and deal pretty good damage, keeping the flow of enemies manageable.

Still was no cakewalk though, if Davith had less luck with damage rolls he did and damage done against him, it would have failed.
If Shyla was not there to keep Vader away with her whip it would have failed too. While immune to damage and conditions, the mission says nothing about pulling him through windows with a whip.

Was pretty satisfying too considering the blatant Darth Vader fanboyism of the designers is shown yet again in this mission by making him immune to damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
My group is playing though this campaign now. The first mission was pretty easy for the Rebels, to be fair it was our IP's first mission as the Imperial. Reclassified, however, was a challenge. We picked up most of the clues (I failed the test on the only one we didn't get). Jyn completely balked a focused tech test at the end, Shyla managed to crack the safe and go, Gideon Commanded her to the Shuttle.

We played the optional mission, Into the Unknown, a couple weeks ago and that was incredibly difficult. Our first loss. It's a hidden map and the IP had asked for some advice before hand so I was familiar with the layout and the target locations, so I was doing my best not to tell everyone where to go. One player basically said "You go high, you go low, we go up the middle." Well the player going low decided to take a turn towards the top of the map, revealing the Hall and triggering a deployment right on top of him. That wasn't the plan, he was supposed to go low... I was screaming internally. It was a really fun mission though.

I've heard complaints that this campaign is unbalanced in favor of the Imperials, but that's not the feeling I get from it. I just feel that it's REALLY difficult and I'm enjoying it for that.

If you're curious about group composition:
Fenn (that's me): Tact Move, Rebel Elite, Suppressive Fire, with the EE-3, the Underbarrel, and Tact Display
Jyn: Cheap Shot, Smuggler's Luck, Get Cocky, with the DL-44, Spread Barrel, and a Combat Coat
Shyla: Responsiveness, Proximity Strike, Deadly Grace, with the BD-1, HIG, Balanced Hilt, and a Combat Coat
Gideon: Called Shot, Masterstroke, Rallying Shout (we call it Rebel Yell for the Billy Idol fans out there), and the Shadowsilk Cloak

And we're up against the Black Ops deck with Stealth, Shadow Armor, and Surprise Attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
Rhalius wrote:
Darth Vader moved pretty quick since the nemesis deck allowed me to give him +2 movement at the start of his turn, but Shyla pulled him back with her whip through the window, and still was able to put the attack against him to good use due to cleave which killed the second Gammorean (the first still went after Davith) and damaged Jabba.
Next turn she pulled Vader back to the other side of her and used her attack to kill Jabba.

Was pretty satisfying too considering the blatant Darth Vader fanboyism of the designers is shown yet again in this mission by making him immune to damage.

If he's immune to damage then you can't trigger Cleave. Blast, Cleave, and condition keywords require that the target receive damage to trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Fair enough. I did let the heroes damage him though since I thought him being immune was bullshit.

Not that they managed to do much, just three damage in total since focusing on him wouldn't work with so many other enemies around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letting the rebels attack is a trap you put under their noses.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is no need to attack Vader. He can only attack once per round (three times if lucky). The rebels can just run away with the dead drop and win the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
They did not attack him much, just Shyla when she pulled him in to keep him from chasing after Davith and attacked him for the cleave damage to other adjacent enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ⱮǾⱤǾƝ ÐɆĽŮẌɆ
Chile
flag msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
Ni corto ni perezoso
mbmbmbmbmb
Two question came up when playing Reclassified:

1) Enter a space (with clue) + intel test without needing an action. Possible if that space is occupied by another figure?
2) Push a figur 1 space (Diplomat's Blaster in this case). Possible if figure that should be pushed has no adjacent space which is unoccupied?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can enter a space with another figure if you have enough movement points to end movement legally.

2) You can only push a figure so that it ends movement legally.

If there are no valid spaces to end movement, the Push doesn't happen even when triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.