Subject: Potential Slayer discard ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrod Wild
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book has two sections that turn into tongue twisters of rules exceptions. The sections are on discarding cards and whether abilities can be used. What I ultimately decided was that the specific discard ability of the Potential Slayer can be exercised at any time except when discarding at the end of your turn. So if something forces you to discard it, you can use its discard ability to advance the Light. I'm open to hearing other interpretations. I'd just like to know once and for all (ideally official FAQ) whether I'm doing it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "Instead of playing this, you may discard it to advance the light." That means that during your turn when you would normally play cards, you may, instead of playing it for its two recruit points, discard it to advance the light.

If a card forces you to discard the Potential Slayer, you do not get to use the ability.

Other cards say "When you discard this,..." Those cards trigger when any effect has you discard a card and you choose to discard the card with that ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Wild
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. The "instead of playing this" verbiage is pretty vague on its own. There's a whole other section of the rule book that covers "if you discard this" and "you may discard a card" but not "instead of playing this you may discard this card". The part of the rule book I always run to is this one:

“If you discard this,...”
You will do this Special Ability when
you discard this card from your
hand or deck based on another
ability allowing you or forcing you
to discard cards. You do not get to
use this ability for discarding your
card as a part of the end of your turn.
You do get to use the ability when
a Villain escapes Sunnydale with
a Bystander, which forces you do
discard a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.