Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, even though my usual group doesn't like to play it cry

I bought the base game, entered some tournaments and did pretty well and bought a few more expansions. Then I ran into the usual problem: Too many factions for the base came box with the default insert. I saw a few solutions:

1) Buy the Big Geeky Box
Pro: Lots of room for all my current and future expansions, plus Geeks faction
Con: Costs $$, BIG box, hard to store and carry to game nights

2) Buy a Broken Token or other Smash Up! Organizer for default box
Pro: Keeps things in current box, professional-looking, fits all my current factions
Con: Costs $$, ONLY fits my current factions - no room for more expansions

But instead I saw some folks doing something similar to what I wanted, so I 'Smashed' them all together ("Smashed", eh? Get it? whistle )

3) Create boxes for each faction to put loose in box.
Pro: Low $ expense, keeps things in current box, fits all current factions w/room for chits, rulebooks, more expansions, fun DIY project
Con: High time expense, not so professional-looking, doesn't fit sleeved cards (in current incarnation)

I printed the boxes on cardstock and what resulted was a way to get all my 25 factions + 2 boxes of bases + baggie of power chits + rulebooks for base game and 4 expansions all comfortably in the (much) smaller base game box!

If I don't care about fitting the rulebooks, I can stack the faction boxes in vertically to make them easier to view, with room for 40 boxes total (36 factions + 4 boxes of bases?)

Of course I forgot a few things on the first few I made, which is why those are hand-written.

I have the whole thing in a PSD file - if there's any interest I could clean it up and fix the first few I did poorly and share.

If I were to do it again, I'd make them slightly bigger so if I ever sleeve my cards they'll still fit (they may fit now, but I don't have any sleeved cards to check). I'd also probably use colored cardstock so they didn't look so boring.

Credits to:
Tuckbox template generator: http://www.templatemaker.nl/cardbox
Faction Symbol graphics: Faction Randomizer Chits
Faction Images/Descriptions: Faction Description Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks super nice, and I admire your work for sure... but the $15 for the Big, Geeky Box seems cheaper in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarpedLord wrote:
That looks super nice, and I admire your work for sure... but the $15 for the Big, Geeky Box seems cheaper in the long run.

Especially given that each new expansion comes with dividers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but this was more about the size of the box - I don't do game nights at home, so having to lug that bigger, heavier box around makes a big difference. Also I'm wanting to bring this on an upcoming gaming cruise so space is at a premium.

(also, the $15 isn't prime, so $23 is the real price, but price wasn't a big factor for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Knyazev
Russia
Pyatigorsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please upload your PDS file? Very good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Ritter

SanAntonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is super cool!

I've uploaded my new Faction Description Cards file with the sheep deck; it just hasn't been approved yet. Should be up by tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.