Subject: Adding Dice (variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Fleming
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
New to the forum and love it!

We recently discovered how fun Ticket To Ride is and have played it quite frequently. My son and I were discussing a possible variant that, in our opinion could add another layer of fun to the game.

Using a pair of dice, the players roll at the beginning of their turn. If two 1's are rolled , they can steal one train card from the player to their left. Two 6's, they steal from the player to the right. A 6 and 1, the other players can each take one card from the player that just rolled. Any other roll does nothing.

The player would then play as normal, either choosing a new train card, a destination card, or placing trains. They could use stolen cards on the same turn.

Thoughts? I apologize if this has been suggested before. I'm a newb and wanted to add something to the forum! We LOVE the game by the way, and don't want to suggest it's lacking anything. This was just an idea we started talking about while playing.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an easy little twist to add to the game. Cool idea.

And welcome to the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds easy enough to try out. Let us know how it goes.

There is (or was) an official way to add dice: Ticket to Ride: The Dice Expansion

It's not easy to find, so I made some files you can use to make your own copy: T2R Dice Expansion PnP

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fleming
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the links too Whizkid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Sounds easy enough to try out. Let us know how it goes.

There is (or was) an official way to add dice: Ticket to Ride: The Dice Expansion

It's not easy to find, so I made some files you can use to make your own copy: T2R Dice Expansion PnP

Welcome!
Technically, the dice replace the cards, although I digress that there are still Destination cards :x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea, my only concern is that if you tend to lose track of score during the game as my group always does, you may not be sure whose route is whose. Although this doesn't matter if you are on top of things and keeping score as you lay trains.

For the record we always use an app to total the score of each player's trains at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teewinot wrote:
This was just an idea we started talking about while playing.

Does the game lack something that you feel this die rolling modification satisfies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
teewinot wrote:

Does the game lack something that you feel this die rolling modification satisfies?
Related... for me, I've always wanted to try the official dice expansion for the following reasons:
1) It's different. I like to try different things
2) I hate shuffling 110 train cards
3) I don't do any of that "hard core tournament stuff" like counting cards, and paying attention to what colors people draw from the face up, so I wouldn't mind doing away with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spicyqueso15 wrote:
I love the idea, my only concern is that if you tend to lose track of score during the game as my group always does, you may not be sure whose route is whose. Although this doesn't matter if you are on top of things and keeping score as you lay trains.

Why is that? The trains (small, plastic carriages/waggons/cars) are still there. Only the cards change hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fleming
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Eldard wrote:
teewinot wrote:

Not at all. My son likes to be very competitive and likes to work with or against players to drive tension. He is a brutal person to play with in Catan. That's not a bad thing either. He's fun and we all laugh and go at each other. Everybody's gaming experience is different I suppose.

The idea of taking someone's train card and possibly breaking up their route placement is simply an additional "edge" to the game. Obviously it won't be for everyone, but for some, it may be just the 'ticket' (pun intended).

Thanks for everyone's input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.