Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Troyes or Terra Mystica?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better??? Which one should I get??

For the record, I can't actually buy the original Terra Mystica; I'm considering the new Gaia Project sci-fi version of it.

Poll
Which is better?
Terra Mystica
Troyes
(Abstain... please elaborate)
      68 answers
Poll created by Mentat1231


In addition to the poll, I would love to hear your thoughts on which of these would fill a special niche in my collection in particular.

So, for example, I already own Castles of Burgundy, Bruges, and Notre Dame. Will Troyes stand out and get lots of play?

I also own Eclipse, and I have lots of other games with a galactic, sci-fi sort of theme (Among the Stars, Cosmic Encounter, Eminent Domain, Roll for the Galaxy, etc). Will Gaia Project (from your experience with Terra Mystica) be worth it?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I abstained simply because I haven't played Terra Mystica in order to offer a fair comparative opinion. However, I've played Troyes and think it's quite excellent. You won't regret your purchase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
I abstained simply because I haven't played Terra Mystica in order to offer a fair comparative opinion. However, I've played Troyes and think it's quite excellent. You won't regret your purchase.


Fair enough

You don't think my group might find it redundant after Bruges, Burgundy, and Notre Dame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games. I think Terra Mystica is a better game. But does Terra Mystica = Gaia Project? I don't know.

Terra Mystica gets played in my group several times per year, Troyes maybe once per year, so I think TM stands out more.

Why do you say you can't get the original Terra Mystica?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games, but there's nothing else that feels quite like Troyes to me. In addition to the dice buying/placement that I love, it's also great that each game feel very, very different due to the activity cards that are in each game. The value of certain actions and resources fluctuates quite a bit from game to game. It always feels fresh. It's the only game I've ever rated a 10 and I don't expect that to change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
I abstained simply because I haven't played Terra Mystica in order to offer a fair comparative opinion. However, I've played Troyes and think it's quite excellent. You won't regret your purchase.


Fair enough

You don't think my group might find it redundant after Bruges, Burgundy, and Notre Dame?


I haven't played any of those so I've no idea.

I found Troyes to be very good though and I think it's probably more similar to Voyages of Marco Polo ala the dice placement aspect but even that, they're so different that I'd have no issue owning both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
I abstained simply because I haven't played Terra Mystica in order to offer a fair comparative opinion. However, I've played Troyes and think it's quite excellent. You won't regret your purchase.


Fair enough

You don't think my group might find it redundant after Bruges, Burgundy, and Notre Dame?


I haven't played any of those so I've no idea.

I found Troyes to be very good though and I think it's probably more similar to Voyages of Marco Polo ala the dice placement aspect but even that, they're so different that I'd have no issue owning both.


Yeah, it doesn't feel anything like those games. I agree VoMP is the closest, but even then it's a very unique game. The fact that your workers (dice) are always vulnerable gives it a level of prioritization that other games just don't have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
Both are good games. I think Terra Mystica is a better game. But does Terra Mystica = Gaia Project? I don't know.

Terra Mystica gets played in my group several times per year, Troyes maybe once per year, so I think TM stands out more.

Why do you say you can't get the original Terra Mystica?


Thematic issue. I don't play games that involve magic. So, the Gaia Project seemed like my opportunity to (approximately) finally play Terra Mystica. But, I feel really bad shelling out $80 for it and $50 for Troyes at the same time (plus I need to hold onto a little cash for a few other much smaller games).... cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looney Llama
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I have both games, though only the original Terra Mystica. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are very good games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
samlamiam wrote:
Both are good games. I think Terra Mystica is a better game. But does Terra Mystica = Gaia Project? I don't know.

Terra Mystica gets played in my group several times per year, Troyes maybe once per year, so I think TM stands out more.

Why do you say you can't get the original Terra Mystica?


Thematic issue. I don't play games that involve magic. So, the Gaia Project seemed like my opportunity to (approximately) finally play Terra Mystica. But, I feel really bad shelling out $80 for it and $50 for Troyes at the same time (plus I need to hold onto a little cash for a few other much smaller games).... cry


The use of magic in Terra Mystica is so minimal and thinly pasted on, I wonder if you can self-retheme it and feel good about it?

The chaos magicians ostensibly use magic to transform terrain by summoning lava. Could you change the name of the Chaos Magicians to Lava Drillers? Witches and fakirs fly (brooms/flying carpets), but it could easily be technology that allows them to fly. (Techno-witches/ Rocket-riders?) Pretty sure everything else in the game can be attributed to something non-magical (workers, spades, horses, knowledge, etc.)

There is something called "Power" you use to accomplish things like building bridges, but it is not called magical power. Comes across to me as political/financial power that comes from trade with neighbors.

If that's cheating your no-magic line, then go with Gaia Project.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... It's starting to look like Troyes is the better choice, despite Terra Mystica being rated a bit higher in the BGG rankings....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
The use of magic in Terra Mystica is so minimal and thinly pasted on, I wonder if you can self-retheme it and feel good about it?

The chaos magicians ostensibly use magic to transform terrain by summoning lava. Could you change the name of the Chaos Magicians to Lava Drillers? Witches and fakirs fly (brooms/flying carpets), but it could easily be technology that allows them to fly. (Techno-witches/ Rocket-riders?) Pretty sure everything else in the game can be attributed to something non-magical (workers, spades, horses, knowledge, etc.)

There is something called "Power" you use to accomplish things like building bridges, but it is not called magical power. Comes across to me as political/financial power that comes from trade with neighbors.

If that's cheating your no-magic line, then go with Gaia Project.


I agree with this. The fantasy setting and magic was a huge turn-off to me and kept me from playing Terra Mystica for years, but if you read the back of the box, there is zero effort spent in trying to convince you of the theme. (The rulebook, at least the beginning of it, is different...but it's hard to take the story there seriously.) I like both games, but I think Terra Mystica is better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't feel anything like those games. I agree VoMP is the closest, but even then it's a very unique game. The fact that your workers (dice) are always vulnerable gives it a level of prioritization that other games just don't have.


I just purchased Troyes myself and played it last night and I absolutely agree with this. Definitely feels different than other dice placement games because other players can use your dice to take their actions.

Is there a certain player count you are looking for? Terra Mystica, while also very good, is definitely better with at least 4 players while Troyes can accommodate 2-3 players better in my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Hm... It's starting to look like Troyes is the better choice, despite Terra Mystica being rated a bit higher in the BGG rankings....


Is the poll really about TM since you said you can't buy it? Here's a con for TM. There are balance issues to the point the expansion offers a new board and that expansion is not cheap. TM also leans towards higher player count. Both are really good, and I can see being in my Top 20 and that's starting to mean something, but I would lean towards Troyes being the more interesting play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
matthean wrote:
Here's a con for TM. There are balance issues to the point the expansion offers a new board and that expansion is not cheap.


The auction variant doesn't require the expansion, plus adjusted starting point values have been released by the designers, based on plays on Snellman, with the intent of balancing the factions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:
Hm... It's starting to look like Troyes is the better choice, despite Terra Mystica being rated a bit higher in the BGG rankings....


Is the poll really about TM since you said you can't buy it?


Fair point; but, I've heard from several reviewers that Gaia Project is very much like Terra Mystica (if anything, many are saying it's better in some ways). So, I think this poll will be indicative enough for me to make a call.

matthean wrote:

Both are really good, and I can see being in my Top 20 and that's starting to mean something, but I would lean towards Troyes being the more interesting play.


For what it's worth, I have often agreed with your assessments of games, so it's not lost on me that both of these are Top 20 material for you.

I really would love to just get both games, but that would be expensive (especially since I'm probably also going to get Queendomino and Codenames Duet).

Really, my biggest issues right now are:

1) Gaia Project is expensive.
2) Troyes has a theme that is going to sound to most of my friends like exactly the same theme as three of my Feld games.
3) I've wanted Troyes for years, but it was out of print. TM I had basically relegated to the unacceptable-theme pile, and didn't give it a second thought... until they re-themed it into a theme that I (and my group) LOVE.
4) I don't know how essential the Ladies of Troyes expansion is, but that would add even MORE expense!

Decisions decisions......
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife insisted I get both devil.... I knew I loved this girl.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the expansion for Troyes, but some initial feedback I got was the purple dice were the best part so it felt like nice to have versus required. I haven't really looked at GP, so I have limited knowledge on it, but to me a big selling point would be the how the board will better handle a lower player count. I would also assume other lessons from TM would be factored in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.