Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just picked up HotM and am enjoying it so far. How are the original quests and enemies? Is it worth picking up the original for more quests or are the ones in HotM improved upon and thus make the original not worth it?

Also, are the quests in the BGG store for the original Mistfall compatible with HotM? I guess what I'm asking is if they are 100% compatible or "compatible" (meaning they work but aren't really optimized if they are missing the cards from the original Mistfall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Mistfall is 100% compatible with Heart of the Mists. You can freely mix heroes, enemies, encounters, and locations.

That doesn't mean there aren't differences. The two versions offer different rewards system and a different way to deal with "Time". That said, you simply decide which system you want to use, and can integrate the rest as-is.

I play with all of it mixed together.

Edit: I should also say — I play Mistfall using the rules/rewards/time from Heart of the Mists, but use all enemies, heroes, and locations from both sets (including Sand & Snow and the content available via the BGG store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I guess my question was am I missing anything by skipping the original Mistfall? Is anything in it worth getting/playing or do I have a full enough experience with HotM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're losing the experience of the worst rulebook ever. No, I won't get over it.

But really, you're just missing the content. Treat them as huge expansions for each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, you're just missing content -- more heroes, more encounters, more enemies ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a expansion. The heroes in The "base " Mistfall are more easy to manage and use. Except the magues, those two bastards!.
For me Heart of the Mists is harder, enemies are tougher than the others and heroes are more difficult to understand and use properly.
I play both and enjoy both. Great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ark royal
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
You're losing the experience of the worst rulebook ever. No, I won't get over it.

I have just got Mistfall from the geek market. Would I be better off downloading and playing the game with the Heart of the Mists rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stepen Street
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
The Mistfall rules work fine - but after playing with both approaches to time, I'm never going back to the old style. But it is possible that you might actually prefer the time cards (it has been so long I've forgotten if that's actually right?) in the base set over the token driven time introduced in HotM. There is a revised time charter on the publisher's website I think... (again, I can't quite remember if that's the right terminology).

Edit - oh, and the original rulebook is tough. The HotM on is much to be preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can chime in quickly: you can download the new version of the Mistfall rules from our website (here) you'll find all Mistfall downloads, including the new rules and learn as you play document (called "Quick Guide"). Also, it's quite possible that you have a second printing of Mistfall. If so, your rulebook will be up to date already.

As for the methods of dealing with time in the game, it's really a matter of preference, so I will simply defer to what others are saying here.

I hope you have fun with my game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ark royal
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
Also, it's quite possible that you have a second printing of Mistfall. If so, your rulebook will be up to date already.

I grabbed a copy of the rules as the set in the box was significantly different.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.