Subject: Number of selected players to escape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loïc Guglielmino
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After I've read the rule book, I have a doubt about the number of players selected by the final captain to escape with the helicopter.

For example in a 8 players game (there may be 3 imitations, so 5 humans), the final captain must choose at least 5 players (see the table page 17). Is it 5 other players (+ the final captain = 6 players)? or rather 4 players (+ mandatory final captain)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
"The Final Captain is automatically considered to be aboard the
helicopter, but must choose the rest of the members of the Escape
carefully."

This means "Captain" plus "X Players" depending on player count. In your example with 8 players the total player count would be 6 (captain + 5 players according to the table). That`s how I understood this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Guglielmino
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the same, but I ask this question because of the probably 3 imitations. So humans can't win? ninja Maybe a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Wells
msg tools
mb
Definitely hoping we get an official answer on this one as it was the first question I thought of when finishing my rulebook read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernunrex of America
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
WOW BOB WOW
badge
Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the chart for a 4 player game, it says:
Quote:
2-3 PLAYERS (NO HUMANS LEFT BEHIND)

From this, the design intention seems pretty clear to me: in a 4-player game, every human needs to escape for you to win. Since there can either be 1 or 2 imitations in a 4 player game, this means either 3 or 2 humans total must escape. If the captain is human, he then must choose every other human left -- which is either 1 or 2 more.

Besides, being forced to choose a number of players that you know must include at least one imitation is no fun at all. Even if that were the rule, I would ignore it.

Also, you could've bloodtested enough to have revealed all imitations. You would not be able to choose those to come for a helicopter ride, anyway, per the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's assume for a moment that after the second Assimilation, all Imitation cards are in players' hands. Let's also assume that they got extremely lucky and earned 2 blood tests and managed to suss out both Imitations, rendering them ineligible to board the chopper.

4 players: Select 2-3 (all remaining humans). If there are two imitations, Captain is guaranteed to lose.
5 players: Captain + Select 3. With two imitations, Captain is guaranteed to lose.
6 players: Captain + Select 4: With two imitations, Captain is guaranteed to lose.
7 players: Captain + Select 4: With three imitations, Captain is guaranteed to lose.
8 players: Captain + Select 5: With three imitations, Captain is guaranteed to lose.

The only way the number of imitations is less than the total number of imitation cards in circulation by the end of the game, is if an imitation was dealt a second imitation card during Assimilation (between Sectors 1-2, or 2-3), and the card went back in the deck. This isn't the most likely possibility, however.

I think the math alone settles this: The number given in the Escape chart should indicate the minimum number of people that must be aboard the helicopter and includes the Captain. Human torchings lower this requirement by one, removing themselves from consideration.

If the unlikely happens and an Imitation card remains in the Blood Sample deck after Second Assimilation, then the Final Captain (unbeknownst to him/her) has slightly better odds of picking only humans if they just randomly selected from people who weren't definitively human or Imitations.

Now this rule:
Quote:
It is possible in 4, 5, and 6 player games for the humans to win by torching all Imitations. In these size games, after you torch a player you may check the blood sample deck. If there is still an Imitation card left, the game is over and the humans win.

Since you can't torch anyone until Sector 3, at that point all Imitations that are going to be in the game, are there. But honestly, why spare yourself the suspense of not knowing you've already won?

One thought occurred to me: that since you've torched the only imitation in the game, then you've effectively removed the alien presence...but that's not necessarily true, since you might have done this before successfully defeating the 2 Things required to proceed to the Escape phase. There is still a chance that failing investigations, losing battles, and destroyed rooms can prevent you from completing Sector 3 with Things still present.

Personally, I wouldn't play with this rule. The only compromise I think that would make sense is if you managed to defeat all 3 Things in Sector 3 AND torched an imitation. At that point, the only thing preventing escape is if the other imitation is in play, and again why deprive yourself of suspense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think the chart includes the captain (so in a 5 player game, the three that are chosen are the captain plus 2).

I also agree that if you torch an imitation you shouldn't check the blood sample deck; just keep playing. Checking it is a huge thematic disconnect and ruins suspense.

The only pro I think it has, is because a player has been eliminated, it could end the game sooner, so he doesn't have to sit around watching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.