Subject: Royal Bird Taxi Movement Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused how the Royal Bird Taxi works.

In the picture, it shows paths to and from the center bird. Does the "instantly travel to the next Royal Bird Taxi space along the taxi route" statement in the rules mean that:

- If you're at the center, travel to any bird
- If you're at the end of one route, travel back to the center

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it correct.

It's also worth noting that you can travel between the southern and eastern birds without going through the middle. The easiest way to explain it is to just trace your finger along the bird tracks and stop when you get to a bird space. From that space you can continue your normal movement (if you have any left) or pay again to travel to another bird space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
You have it correct.

It's also worth noting that you can travel between the southern and eastern birds without going through the middle. The easiest way to explain it is to just trace your finger along the bird tracks and stop when you get to a bird space. From that space you can continue your normal movement (if you have any left) or pay again to travel to another bird space.

Got it. Thanks Nick. We didn't like how hard it was to see the bird tracks. It makes sense as you say it except for the Southern and Eastern birds. But I also understand the reasoning for access to the pixie dust merchant.

Reviewing the game for Board Game Quest after purchasing a copy at Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I look forward to your review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Louallen Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nick, I'm not getting it. The tracks really aren't clear.

What scenario do you have to stop in the center first?

I assume you can go S to W (and vice versa) without going through center? And S to E

What about E to W (and vice versa)?

Is the path N really the main stopgate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the complete list:

North to Center (and reverse)
South to Center (and reverse)
West to Center (and reverse)
East to Center (and reverse)
South to East
East to South

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Louallen Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only path that doesn't have to go through the center is :

South to East
East to South

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stapleton
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
For your consideration, notwithstanding the official ruling above.

We were unclear on this ourselves during our first play of the game and made the following ruling:

Movement using the Royal Bird Taxi may be made from any single stop to any other single stop.

This didn't seem to break the game and was based upon the following rationale: the teleportation stones allow movement to and between the corners and/or the mountain pixie somewhere around the board. The Taxi, at the cost of 2 coins or 1 fame point at game end, should be as useful, so allowing movement around the edges of the board or to the middle seemed roughly equivalent to the teleportation stones.

The affect on play, as I see it, is to potentially reduce the number of coins used by players to pay for taxi trips; more coins means possibly more taxi trips and more pixie dust purchased. This may result in a faster end game period or higher scores. We will have to try the official ruling to see if that slows things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.