Paul Tavener
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
665 The neighbour of the beast
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy a lot of different wargames of varrying complexity, but I'm also a member of a game group who are open to new games but don't currently play any war games. In recent sessions we have played Carcassonne, Ticket to ride,Saint Petersburg and another game with octagonal and square tiles who's name escapes me.

Question: are there any war games that might be suitable for such a group? They would have to be realy simple. Something easy to explain in 15 minutes as we only have 2 hours to play each session. By easy to explain I would expect a max of 5 pages or rules or perhaps up to 10 if there were a lot of pictures. Normaly there are 6-10 people playing 2-3 different games at each session depending on number. So 2-4 player games would be best. It would be good if the game convayed some historical flavour of combat but playability would be an overriding importance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion is by far the best option.

For bigger groups of 5 to 6 you can also try Quartermaster General.

Memoir '44 works great for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tavener
United Kingdom
Waterlooville
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
665 The neighbour of the beast
mbmbmbmbmb
That was quick! thx, 1775 Rebellion looks especially interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
W1815
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good game is Julius Caesar. It could be played with two teams of two, with the the two on each side discussing and agreeing on their moves.

The best simple wargame I've seen for four players, however, is the strategic-level game Empire which comes with Lost Battles. I've played it about four times with young teens, all non-wargamers, and it's been a lot of fun. The problem is that Lost Battles is quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
The various Quartermaster General games have been pretty well received by my gaming group (a mix of wargamers and non-wargamers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing this suggestion will prompt multiple howls of derision, but I'll still offer this as a recommendation for a first hex-n-counter wargame based on my experience over a period of eight years now, using it very successfully as a first introduction to hex-n-counter wargaming to multiple incoming groups of freshmen at the local high school game club that I run: Strike Force One.

This isn't a game that you're going to want anyone to play more than once or twice, but for someone who has never seen a hex-n-counter wargame before in their lives, it's absolutely perfect. It teaches all the basic concepts in such a simple, easy to learn, and very quick playing format that I've even been able to use it with kids as young as 5 years old. It's remarkably versatile in that respect. Be aware that you'll definitely want something else to serve as the next "intermediate" step for your novice(s), but this one is unequaled as an introductory game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to Battle for Moscow (first edition), myself. Looks like VPG reprinted that one too:

1775 is a great game for 2-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Knowing this suggestion will prompt multiple howls of derision, but I'll still offer this as a recommendation for a first hex-n-counter wargame based on my experience over a period of eight years now, using it very successfully as a first introduction to hex-n-counter wargaming to multiple incoming groups of freshmen at the local high school game club that I run: Strike Force One.

This isn't a game that you're going to want anyone to play more than once or twice, but for someone who has never seen a hex-n-counter wargame before in their lives, it's absolutely perfect. It teaches all the basic concepts in such a simple, easy to learn, and very quick playing format that I've even been able to use it with kids as young as 5 years old. It's remarkably versatile in that respect. Be aware that you'll definitely want something else to serve as the next "intermediate" step for your novice(s), but this one is unequaled as an introductory game.

I actually really agree with this. No replayability, but an excellent teaching tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:

I actually like this game. With the expansion it's pretty cool. Sure, it's super simple and maybe a bit perfunctory, but as someone who can't resist a simple and quick microgame that's all about blowing stuff up, I dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris and Euphrates. It is a Euro really, but with some direct conflict elements. Your group would pick it up easily, from your description of the sorts of games you play.

Command and Colors, which you might play with teams. Fast simply etc. But designed for two sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
horrido wrote:

What, you mean I did something right??!?
I've gonna have to show this to my wife as proof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb

The hybrid Eurogame/wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
1775: Rebellion is by far the best option.

For bigger groups of 5 to 6 you can also try Quartermaster General.

Memoir '44 works great for two players.

Another vote for Memoir'44. Also has scenarios for more than two player if you use two sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a "wargame" per se (more "dudes on a map") but have you considered Kemet

It's an excellent game and fits you time/player count parameters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
rshipley wrote:
I'm partial to Battle for Moscow (first edition), myself. Looks like VPG reprinted that one too:

Not too sure if it will fit the multiplayer criteria, but it's hard to top this one for sheer simplicity and replayability.

horrido wrote:
There's a little more to keep track of in the Napoleonic 20 system compared to some of the other things on this list, but it is a great entry point to wargaming, and Fading Glory, if you can get your hands on it, has a heck of a lot packed into its box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good suggestions already, but you might consider another intermediate step before tackling wargames, namely area-control eurogames where you fight for the territories.

Some good ones :

El Grande
Shogun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The academy games war games; 1775, 1812, 878-viking. My wife picked up 878 real easy and does not play war games at all, closest thing to euro/wargame that I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Mühlbrandt
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deathride: Mars-la-Tour 1870 actually is a surprisingly fancy game. I normally am slightly reluctant when it Comes to Magazine games, though this one is well designed and playtested. Rules are quite simple, gameplay is tactical, but still quick and with a good flow.

Though, probably it will not be suitable as it is strictly two Player only...?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paintballinrn wrote:
The academy games war games; 1775, 1812, 878-viking. My wife picked up 878 real easy and does not play war games at all, closest thing to euro/wargame that I have played.

Also there is 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War that uses the same base mechanics as the other 3 games in the series. Each takes only a few minutes to learn. The 878: Vikings – Invasions of England game is a bit more complicated than the others but still easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre

Whether you go with the three-buck version

or the Designer's Edition (which is as big as a suitcase)

I think this is the best game to start your wargaming career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another pitch for the Quartermaster General games, as they seem closest to what you are looking for. With only a touch more complexity, you could play something like Friedrich, which is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim B
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line is pretty simple, fun, and has quite a few scenarios (although I can't remember off hand how many pages of rules there are). I have the old version (which I like), so can't commit on the new one with the plastic figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:
Ogre

Whether you go with the three-buck version

or the Designer's Edition (which is as big as a suitcase)

I think this is the best game to start your wargaming career.

And don't forget, it now comes in the handy "in-between" 6E 'travel size':

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/330609
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.