Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mb
In the difficult battle between the Martin Wallace Train games, Railways is edging out to become my favorite. However, I really love the job/role system from Steam.

Has anyone come up with a smooth way to integrate the role selection for turn order system from Steam into Railways?

In case you aren't aware, Steam uses a "Select Action Tiles" in the first phase of each turn in lieu of an auction. The role you select both gives you an ability this turn and determines your turn order the next turn. (This would mean auctions for turn order only occur on turn one and never agian).

Action Tiles:
1) Turn Order (First player next turn)
2) First Move (First to ship goods)
3) Engineer (Build 4 tracks)
4) First Build (First to build tracks)
5) City Growth (Add goods to a city)
6) Locomotive (Increase train level)
7) Urbanization (Convert a town to a city)

Action tiles 1-5 seem to adapt the easiest. 6&7 are either not applicable or would throw off the engine building, so I wouldn't include those.

Has anyone thought more on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Adapting elements from Steam
No I have never thought on this.

RotW is a better game for me because of the clarity of the game. If I wanted a more complicated system I would just play the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Himel
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
mb
My thought behind this is also to have an alternative to auctions, especially in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a few older threads on determining turn order based on something other than the auction in the RotW forums. I see determining turn order by a beginning of the turn auction as optimal because the value of turn order varies from turn to turn and that value can not be assessed until the new operations card is revealed. There are several considerations which need to be evaluated by each player so they can see what turn order is worth to them and revealing the next operations card is the last of these considerations.

The other alternate means of determining turn order threads have a great deal of discussion and a variety of ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Pilgrim wrote:
My thought behind this is also to have an alternative to auctions, especially in a 2 player game.

1) The steam role selection is also auction driven.

2) As Jimmy alludes to above, doing away with auctions will cause a major problem with the operations cards which are wildly imbalanced without the auction as a balancing mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the modified auction system for turn order. Your opening bid can be zero; first player to pass goes last and pays nothing; succeeding passers go next to last (and so forth) and pay half of their last bid (rounded up); finally, the high bidder goes first and pays the full amount of his winning bid.

Incorporating the "role" elements from Steam has never occurred to us and I doubt our group would be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.