Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two-handed as one-handed question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donavin Northrup
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
If you have an item that makes it so "Two-Handed" items count as "One-handed" do you still get benefits from abilities that require Two-handed to swing?

For instance, the basic warrior card has the Two-handed tree. The item is technically a two-handed, but since the card (Dwarven Shield) in this example states "Any equipped 2-Hand Weapon is instead considered as 1-Handed Weapon" this makes me feel like it should no longer benefit from the 2-hander ability. Which really makes it underwhelming for a lot of 2H-er classes.

Appreciate the insight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some disagreement about this, covered in detail in thread 1843467 (just skip the first couple replies there to get to that part).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no disagreement, just some consideration of ambiguity.

The consensus is that 2 handers converted to 1 handers still satisfy the [Two Handed] condition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
There is no disagreement, just some consideration of ambiguity.

The consensus is that 2 handers converted to 1 handers still satisfy the [Two Handed] condition.


No, there is disagreement - i don't agree that there's an ambiguity .

Specifically:

DoctorBandage wrote:
One could argue that the "2-handers become 1-handers" effect is essentially changing that icon to the 1-handed icon, so it's not quite so cut and dry.


i disagree entirely with that. Specifically, i am of the opinion that no game effects change printed icons on anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DoctorBandage wrote:
One could argue that the "2-handers become 1-handers" effect is essentially changing that icon to the 1-handed icon, so it's not quite so cut and dry.


i disagree entirely with that. Specifically, i am of the opinion that no game effects change printed icons on anything.


If that is just your opinion and the wording could support the other alternative, then it is actually ambiguous, by definition.

For the record, I agree with your interpretation and believe the other leads to absurdities, so the 2-Handed Skills still working is the only conclusion which makes sense. However, I would also say that the wording of the 2->1 Skills is still ambiguous; that ambiguity can just be resolved with a little bit of common sense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
DoctorBandage wrote:
One could argue that the "2-handers become 1-handers" effect is essentially changing that icon to the 1-handed icon, so it's not quite so cut and dry.


i disagree entirely with that. Specifically, i am of the opinion that no game effects change printed icons on anything.


If that is just your opinion and the wording could support the other alternative, then it is actually ambiguous, by definition.


That's the thing: i don't see an ambiguity, i just see an "unfortunately-worded" skill definition with a nonetheless clear, unambiguous intent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not rehash the discussion we've already had in the other thread.

For the record, I don't actually believe the argument you've quoted me saying. Just that one could reasonably make that argument given the wording. This question has been asked at least three times now that I've seen, so it's obviously ambiguous enough to multiple people to warrant asking. However, as already pointed out, the quoted argument leads to some wonky behavior, so we can safely reject it.

In any case, we're all in agreement that 2 handers converted to 1 handers still satisfy the [Two Handed] condition, which is really the important thing to agree upon.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.