Subject: Expansion suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the Force Awakens Core set. My 13 year old has been playing Rebels with an ARC 170 and Heroes of the Resistance expansion. I have a TIE Special Forces and a TIE Defender. I'll probably stop by the game store tomorrow. Any suggestions on a Rebel ship and an Imperial ship? The shop had Rebel Aces last week.

I was also eyeing the Most Wanted expansion and Boba Fett's Firespray. Should I jump feet first into playing Scum? Should I instead seek professional help for a 3 week obsession that could get horribly out of hand?

The store also has all the faction Dial upgrades. Are they worth it or should I get acrylic movement templates first? If so, who should I buy them from?

As usual, thanks for all your help. Even if you suggest me getting help. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UPS also delivered an FFG playmat today so we are official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic dials and templates are not needed one bit. If money was no object I assume you wouldn't need this thread.

Rebel aces sounds like a good idea both good ships.

Maybe get the slave one and see of you like it with imperials first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Plastic dials and templates are not needed one bit. If money was no object I assume you wouldn't need this thread.

Rebel aces sounds like a good idea both good ships.

Maybe get the slave one and see of you like it with imperials first.

Thank you! Money is an object (especially for my wife) but this is a lot cheaper than most of my other hobbies and gives me more quality time with my youngest son and my grown sons on Sundays, so spending $15-$50 every couple of weeks is worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, my favorite Rebel ship is the YT-2400 and my favorite Imperial ship is the Tie Defender followed by the Tie Interceptor. However, my advice to new players is always buy what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
If your son is a fan of SW Rebels, the Ghost is a really fun (and super thematic) ship in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gibson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Heading to store to see what they have as soon as they open up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also only play casual but have restricted my collection to original trilogy only

For rebels I have

2 Core Sets
1 Rebel Aces
1 Rebel Transport
1 A-Wing Expansion
1 B-Wing Expansion
1 X-Wing Expansion
1 Y-Wing Expansion
1 Millennium Falcon

I have one more small ship spot in my rebel storage tray and was looking for advice for a ship to fill it. Was thinking a second Y-Wing, a third A-Wing or the HWK-290 to finish my 3rd Wave collection. Advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of 'first time player' treads out there, so you may want to look at some of those as well. As a rule, fly what you like. Scum have some great ships, and some much improved versions of the other faction ships. The pilots for the HWK are (IMO) much better than the Rebel pilots, the Unhinged astromech makes the Scum Y-wing a much better ship than the Rebel versions, and the Scum Boba Fett is superior to the Imperial one. The down side is, the best (again IMO) scum ship is the protectorate starfighter and it is currently out of print. You can get it from the UK if you don't mid paying $15+ in shipping plus the price of the ship or baying $30+ for one in the US. As its MSRP is $15, it is not a good purchase for the budget conscious. But the Hired guns pack will be out this month which ill bring a much needed upgrade to 2 of Scum's other medium fighters, so maybe it is a good time to jump on board!

Don't buy the dial upgrades. They are pointless beyond adding a bit of flash to your set. The acrylic movement / range rulers are also not needed until your cardboard ones get too beat up to use, which may never happen. Mine are 4 years old and look brand new, but I have seen others that look like they went through the wash then were eaten by wild dogs.

And as I tell all new players, buy for the ships you want, because you need the dials to fly the ship. But use http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build to build your lists. It will give you access to every upgrade available, and give you the corrected wording on them. The text on many cards is outdated as FFG has buffed and nerfed cards as time passed, but you only know the correct play of a card by using a list builder like the one above or memorizing the most recent FAQ. And it makes it much easier to build your lists as it keeps a running cost for you, and shows you only the upgrades that fit the ship you are playing with. Once/If you start playing in tournaments, you will need the official upgrade cards that come in the various expansions, but for casual play, don't let yourself be constrained on your upgrades just because you didn't want to spend $15 to $100 on an expansion just to get the upgrade or pilot cards in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as component upgrades, it's all superficial with the exception of the range ruler sets. The 1 and 2 firing range rules are a lot easier and faster to use in a lot of instances. You don't need those either, but they do provide additional function over what comes with the game.

The flashy components mostly come in handy when you are playing in game shops and stuff because, as long as you got unique ones, you can easily tell yours from everyone else's. Painting your ships can also be practical for this reason too. But if you are playing at home and all that is getting used is your own stuff there is little benefit.

Money is not a concern for me, but I haven't upgraded because I kind of like the stock components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.