Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through the rules, unless I'm missing something, it seems like the 6th player in a game that doesn't use the Capital expansion would be pretty heavily disadvantaged, no?

I understand that the 6th player 14 credits instead of the 10 credits that the first 5 players receive, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something because since the light gray harbor won't give them a base of 1 tier, it seems like it will be more difficult to initially get started on contracting shipments? I know you can still use multiple contract actions of a certain color, but it still seems like a slight ongoing disadvantage.

I don't see myself as playing this with 6 too often, but I'm just wondering if there is an argument for not throwing in the Capital expansion with the cool Barter action and those other interesting 15 cards, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Draper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4 credit starting advantage for the 6th player is in place to give an early winning bid for an Import, thus setting the player ahead with a good (tier in something) and an import.

It is of course completely dependent on the player(s) involved, but overall I would have to agree that the 6th player is better off with the Capital Expansion in play than without it, as long as they are familiar with the game. Contracting the Capital cards can be risky as most of them won't increase your shipments (and thus your goods and imports limit), but in the right situation the payoff is very beneficial.

That's just my two cents, perhaps others have another view after trying the expansions out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking it was something along those lines.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.