Mint Julep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know in the rules it says you cannot have gaps and there was some clarification here in the forums about attempting to move the leading horse of the front most group two spaces which wasn't possible. So how do you deal with other situations such as the following:

The race currently looks like A B C DE where A is in its own group, B is in its own group C is in its own group and D and E are in the front group together.

Say you were to play the card that lets you move any horse forward twice. Is it legal to move B to the front of the DE group? I would seem this would create a gap between A and C. Is there a gap or is A now just behind C? If it's not legal it seems the only legal option in this case is to move A to the front of the C group. Suppose that's something you don't want to do and it's your only card left. Must you play it? Are you forced to play the only legal action or can you simply discard it?

Also, for the same race setup, say the only card you have left in your possession is to move horse B forward one. Since it would create a gap it wouldn't be a valid move so is that card essentially worthless at that point?

It seems from the limited number of times I've played it that you can end up with several single horse groups which either leave the actions of the cards undesirable to the person playing them or illegal to even play if they are for specific horses which cannot move due to creating a gap.

Any information from the creator would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Those movements wouldn't be considered gaps. Moving B forward twice just brings A and C closer together. A gap would be moving E forward twice. E can only move forward once.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason!
So essentially gaps refer to moving horses past either end. Once a horse is the front most or back most group on its own it can't move out past that point itself until someone joins or moves past it. But if its own group is in the middle of the other groups and it moves no gap is actually formed and the other groups just slide closer to reduce the table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
You got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Say You Got Me is leading the race on top of its group.

Can you play the You Got Me -> with no effect? What if that is the final card?

Can you play Move Any Leading Horse -> on You Got Me and do nothing even if there are other viable leading horses to move (but you don't want to move them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constance Cee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SyKot wrote:
Say You Got Me is leading the race on top of its group.

Can you play the You Got Me -> with no effect? What if that is the final card?

Can you play Move Any Leading Horse -> on You Got Me and do nothing even if there are other viable leading horses to move (but you don't want to move them).

I had this question today as well. We played that if movement of the lead card is actually impossible, because of creating gaps, you could still play the Move Any Leading Horse and choose the impossible horse with essentially no effect. It would seem to random otherwise. I haven't been able to find an official answer in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.