Rum & Bones: Second Tide» Forums » General

Subject: So let me get this straight... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Edgerton
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I had really wanted this game. The theme was compelling, and the gameplay seemed fun. However, there is a certain element to how CMON has chosen to distribute things that upsets me in the deepest way.

When Season 1 was just coming out, I noticed how the extra hero packs only had 3 heroes, meaning each of them left 2 archetypes unrepresented for a second option. I thought, well that's a bit odd, why would they do it like that? Now, I see the Second Tide hero packs coming out with all 5 archetypes. That bothered me more. So, I did what any OCD gamer would do and looked into it.

What I learned was that several heroes, in fact 2 from each season 1 faction, were KS exclusive. I'm not even counting the mercenaries or strange offshoot crews that never received any additional support. Core factions have characters that someone can now not acquire. And don't bother with "well, you can proxy them," because proxies are confusing and bother me. I will not do it, and neither would my wife.

I wish companies would stop making items that have no business being promos into exclusives. Especially for minis games, kick starters can be very expensive, and people often can't afford them when they're being offered. Unless they issue a reprint of those minis at any point, I'm afraid I can never get this game that I had so wanted, which is disappointing. I know my voice will make no difference to CMON, but I hope other people at least agree that this is an asinine practice. Some things are clearly promotional material; other things are clearly not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
tokenscholar wrote:
Some things are clearly promotional material; other things are clearly not.

This statement does not correspond to reality as I have experienced it.

There are so many Heroes available for this game that the ones you can't get really don't make any difference. And if you must have their stats, ALL of the season one Heroes stats are in the Rum & Bones: Second Tide – Season One Upgrade Kit. Or you can find digital versions of any/all Heroes online, including those exclusives from Season Two.

And yes, you'd have to proxy to use some of them.

If you're still unhappy at this point, I assume you are completionist by nature? That particular compulsion always leads to unhappiness and you have my sympathy. But there's no realistic way to always have everything everyone else has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All new hero boxes contain 5 characters, so each faction gets a total of 10 heroes (2 of each class), which is definitely more than enough variety.
The exclusive heroes are simply additional captains, and a few of them are not even that exciting.

I've already played more than 20 games with a single faction, and still experimenting with new characters combinations. When you start adding mercenaries (there are several dozens available), the options are almost endless.

CMON is also releasing soon a retail box with 10 new mercenaries, which sound fun to play (at least the ones already revealed), and probably went through more intensive play-testing than the KS exclusive ones.
Not to mention the new retail faction, which will obviously not get any KS heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This does not sound like a CMON thIS sounds like A you being a completionist problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a blast, hopefully you can look past this. Even my wife enjoys it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that even if cmon hadn't released the figures as a kickstarter exclusives you be able to get them all? Do you think you could just walk into a flgs years later and say I want to pick up that one figure from 5 years ago that you have been kind enough to store on your shelf for all that time? A flgs entire shelves would be cmon products if they did that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
tokenscholar wrote:

This statement does not correspond to reality as I have experienced it.

There are so many Heroes available for this game that the ones you can't get really don't make any difference. And if you must have their stats, ALL of the season one Heroes stats are in the Rum & Bones: Second Tide – Season One Upgrade Kit. Or you can find digital versions of any/all Heroes online, including those exclusives from Season Two.

And yes, you'd have to proxy to use some of them.

If you're still unhappy at this point, I assume you are completionist by nature? That particular compulsion always leads to unhappiness and you have my sympathy. But there's no realistic way to always have everything everyone else has.

fact: i have all of season1 & 2 - everything except Zee. I would never go the route that just said to use generic markers - i still feel that would kill ton of personality that this game has.

However , looking back i would probably have just stuck with season 1, and gotten the upgrade pack. Or bought season 2 and the upgrade pack and then just proxied everything in. The sea monsters are now retail and they are the most different / not proxy'd as easily. I too have a completionist problem but feel this could have been a much more reasonable expense to just go the proxy route and be happy with the retail sets.

This is a CMON problem in so far as if they didn't give us a bunch of exclusives and such - why would anyone give them that kind of money on an unproven game that they would have to wait 12-18months for? This goes for pretty much every kickstarter / preorder - if i don't know its good you better sweeten the pot for me to take a chance AND pay usually crazy shipping versus waiting for online discounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add that I feel that the exclusives are not necessary to enjoy the game.

I got Black Plague at retail (and not own any of the KS bonus items), and it is one of my most played games. If I would have refused to play the game because of the missing exclusive items, I would have missed on what I consider a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
tokenscholar wrote:
I had really wanted this game. The theme was compelling, and the gameplay seemed fun. However, there is a certain element to how CMON has chosen to distribute things that upsets me in the deepest way.

When Season 1 was just coming out, I noticed how the extra hero packs only had 3 heroes, meaning each of them left 2 archetypes unrepresented for a second option. I thought, well that's a bit odd, why would they do it like that? Now, I see the Second Tide hero packs coming out with all 5 archetypes. That bothered me more. So, I did what any OCD gamer would do and looked into it.

What I learned was that several heroes, in fact 2 from each season 1 faction, were KS exclusive. I'm not even counting the mercenaries or strange offshoot crews that never received any additional support. Core factions have characters that someone can now not acquire. And don't bother with "well, you can proxy them," because proxies are confusing and bother me. I will not do it, and neither would my wife.

I wish companies would stop making items that have no business being promos into exclusives. Especially for minis games, kick starters can be very expensive, and people often can't afford them when they're being offered. Unless they issue a reprint of those minis at any point, I'm afraid I can never get this game that I had so wanted, which is disappointing. I know my voice will make no difference to CMON, but I hope other people at least agree that this is an asinine practice. Some things are clearly promotional material; other things are clearly not.

I feel your pain. I am a completionist and often I will not bother buying a game if I know that I missed out on exclusive content from a KS. That being said, I did back Season 1 & 2 and those marketing tactics of "Support it now or lose out" do actually work on people. However, I wish that CMON would adopt something more akin to "If you support the KS you get a bunch of included miniatures and it is cheaper to KS than buy at retail individually". To be fair, CMON does do the latter but they also do the exclusives. I personally do not think they have to do the exclusives to still be highly successful. However, CMON has the right to run their business however, they deem appropriate. As long as people keep jumping on board the KS because of the exclusives they will continue to do it. But honestly, would Rising Sun be any less profitable if it didn't have exclusive content? I should also add, I am less inclined to dislike content that does not affect game play. Things that are superfluous as exclusives are usually okay imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too make it more confusing, Season 1 isn't even compatible with Season 2 straight out of the box. You MUST get the Season 1 upgrade kit.

Season 2 also changes the amount of heroes. You only get 3 in a skirmish, whereas in season 1 you picked one for each role. In season 2 you could pick 3 gunners if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Brown
msg tools
mbmb
Dormammu wrote:
tokenscholar wrote:

There are so many Heroes available for this game that the ones you can't get really don't make any difference.

This.

It's crazy how so many people get hung up on the KS exclusives and think that games are incomplete w/o them. The retail box has a complete game in it. If you want more, then buy expansions. If you want the KS exclusives, then save your money. They do advertise months in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Keller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Jorune wrote:
Too make it more confusing, Season 1 isn't even compatible with Season 2 straight out of the box. You MUST get the Season 1 upgrade kit.

Season 2 also changes the amount of heroes. You only get 3 in a skirmish, whereas in season 1 you picked one for each role. In season 2 you could pick 3 gunners if you want.

Well, Second Tide ("Season 2"), is actually a completely revamped version of the game. It's a superior game in pretty much every way. The Upgrade Pack that they provide to allow you to play an old game's content with a new game is a perk, not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Paris
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Create your own company, design/publish games, run company however you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.