Subject: Playing with facedown hands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panos Salteas
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I can't seem to find an absolute answer for this. Is it possible to play Pandemic Legace: Season 1 with hidden hands?

In regular Pandemic I find that playing with open hands makes the game too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason you can't in the base rules. You can either start like that and adjust play if something comes up during the campaign that prevents it, or if you don't mind a minor bit of information (namely, whether anything will come up) then click the spoiler below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Nothing changes this throughout. Hidden hands are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the official rule? I thought it WAS hidden hands, but you can discuss what you have. That's how we play all versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
I don't understand the need ... why go to the bother of constantly communicating what you have? It's not like Dead of Winter where there'd be some value in hiding your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
What's the official rule? I thought it WAS hidden hands, but you can discuss what you have. That's how we play all versions.

In Pandemic Legacy, the official rule (page 6) is that cards are face up at all times (the opposite of Pandemic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beecher Greenman
msg tools
mb
slydog75 wrote:

DaveSumm wrote:
I don't understand the need ... why go to the bother of constantly communicating what you have? It's not like Dead of Winter where there'd be some value in hiding your hand.

Pretty much this. My group has generally played with faceup hands, taking it as just being a really efficient way of discussing what you have when there's no reason to keep stuff hidden. Though if there's a reason to keep stuff hidden -for example, if there's a Bioterrorist in play- then we pick our hands up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

In Pandemic Legacy, the official rule (page 6) is that cards are face up at all times (the opposite of Pandemic).

And to clarify just a bit further, the most current ruleset for base Pandemic says open hands for the Introductory (4 Epidemics) game and then closed hands for Standard or Heroic (5 and 6 respectively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveSumm wrote:

It adds a minor layer of difficulty, and helps combat alpha player syndrome...as that player MUST discuss their thoughts out loud in order to glean information from other players.

We played with closed hands. Minor vague spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)

There is one rule that comes up later which requires changing something on the board if you draw specific cards. Playing open-handed means everyone notices, playing closed-handed, means it's a good idea to check with each player after their turn "did you draw X?" This may be annoying to some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Probably would depend on the group. When my brother and I play together, we play open hands because we're a pretty good team and each do a good job of strategizing what the other player should do without being all alpha. And we both do it, which evens out.

There's some people I know, I'd probably have all of us hide the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.