Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Crispi
United States
North Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question. The first Operational Scenario has victory conditions for the KMT that say they need to maintain a combined 30 operating DEP and FEP by the end of turn 5 when the scenario ends. It seems that the Japs can strategically bomb right from the start and take out enough DEP (factories) that the KMT will fall below 30 almost right off the bat so they will lose the scenario without having a chance. There is no way to increase the FEP beyond 15 so once the DEP is below 15 they can never win. Maybe this is historical and just a very difficult scenario but I am curious.

Am I misreading this or is it just a very difficult scenario for the KMT to reach their VCs? I also note that the japs immediate VCs are also difficult since they can only lose fewer than 6 Sps before they are no longer valid. Of course they still have another VC to try to obtain which I think is a certain number of major cities before turn 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic bombing missions cannot target Factories on their inoperative side and each DEP point has to be targeted individually. Japanese cannot strategically bomb a factory if they are on the move.

And then not achieving one's VC doesn't mean losing. Japanese has to achieve their own VC (Control 6 or more Chinese major cities. Cities that Japanese units have partial control at game start do not count) to win. If neither side achieve their VC, it may well benefits the CCP.

The Japanese immediate VC is meant to represent the historical ideal of the Japanese command before the war (controlling Northern China with minimum loss). It is difficult but possible with some luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Crispi
United States
North Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That's what we kind of figured out while waiting for the answer but this confirms. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.