Fabian Schuster
Germany
Augsburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title says.

I never played World in Flames before and I'm not completely sure I will find the time and people to get it on the table in a foreseeable future. I pledged for the Classic Version and though I'm really tempted by the additonal units and possibilities added in the Deluxe Version, I understand that they also add a substantial amount of complexity and playing time, i.e. reducing the chances of this game getting played at all.

So please throw in some arguments to calm the voice of reason advicing to save the ~100€ extra this would cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I always note that WIF without any expansions is a great game; there are experienced WIF players who play that way by preference. Having fewer units to move around does make play a bit faster. So it's a perfectly good option.

The expansions just give a lot more flexibility in tailoring WIF the way you want it. For me, I can't imagine playing without the extra divisions, ships, and planes that are added by the various expansions. Other extras (heavies, ASW, tankers, Factories in Flames) I never use, but they all have their fans.

Factories is probably the expansion that has the greatest impact on game play, because of how it very much changes production. Lots of fans for it, and I understand the attraction; it does away with the abstraction of starting construction of a carrier and only deciding WHERE it is being built two years later!

If you haven't seen it, my geeklist A Guide to the World In Flames Universe (Final Edition) has some more details. The names of the expansions in Collector's Editions are changing (basically these are all being condensed into four expansions), but gives a bit more of my thinking. I will probably have to update that list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like questions like these. You aren't asking people to convince you to get the Deluxe version. You are seeing if anyone can talk you OUT of buying the Deluxe edition because you asking the question probably means you already want it, you just need other to help justify the purchase.

I'm still pretty new to WiF but I went and got the Super Deluxe directly from their website the day it went online for pre-order.

Why?

I like the system based on my experience with the WW1 WiF game Fatal Alliances and I liked the idea that I get and have EVERYTHING. If I want to play the base game, I got it. And if at any point I want to mix something else in, no need to go hunting for it on the market later. I have the entire world of WiF at my finger tips.

And of course you can mix and match. Maybe you don't use a bunch of expansion stuff for a big global full campaign. But you could mix in some stuff for the smaller scenarios to beef them up (I believe). Having everything gives you flexibility to try different stuff out, even if it is solitaire or otherwise. Plus, you never know who you may end up gaming with.

For me, Divisions in Flames and Territories in Flames are easy to throw on. Ships and Planes in Flames seems a little intimidating to add so many other counters, but owning them makes it a lot more of a tempting venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schuster
Germany
Augsburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
You are seeing if anyone can talk you OUT of buying the Deluxe edition because you asking the question probably means you already want it, you just need other to help justify the purchase.

Guilty as charged

Thank you both for your input. I finally convinced myself to go for Deluxe. Guess I already knew it would end this way when setting up the thread...

By the way, Factories in Flames seems to be only available via the Super Deluxe package (at least as far as my research on that matter goes). Since this would mean a financial meltdown I will pass on that and settle for the simple Deluxe. But thanks for the suggestion anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem (I'm thick, I know ) is that I still haven't understood what I do have to buy to upgrade my super-deluxe edition to the new standard (revised plane and ship counters included).

What I do feel we need is a clear post here/paragraph on ADG website titled "What do you need to buy if you already have WiF and want to upgrade your edition to the Collector's one".

Better yet, I'm still of the idea that a simple "upgrade kit" should be considered: you do buy it and - BAM! - you are fine, no other mental wattage included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WIFCE will have new maps and charts, so it's not just a question of new counters and rules.

If you already have or don't want America in Flames, Patton in Flames, DODIII, and the Africa and Scandinavian maps but do have pretty much everything else, the Deluxe Edition may be best fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Curlin
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't talk you into it, I don't own it. I do want to piggy back on your query though. Can it be played fairly well solo? I too am looking at that shiny Kick Starter and am weighing the pros and cons of jumping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmookk61 wrote:
I can't talk you into it, I don't own it. I do want to piggy back on your query though. Can it be played fairly well solo? I too am looking at that shiny Kick Starter and am weighing the pros and cons of jumping in.

Yes. WIF is excellent solitaire. The only hidden information is US entry and neutrality pact garrison values - and in a normal game other players usually have a pretty good sense of it anyway from observing what is going on (i.e., what actions is the US taking?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Curlin
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot! Afraid you'd say that This may have to be my retirement game. Have to sneak it in the house without using a hand cart. Hmmmm . . . Buy her a couch and tape it underneath?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell is right, it plays well solitaire. However, you should try your hardest to play it competitively. Each turn is full of high drama that, IMHO, can only be fully appreciated when playing against an opponent (who is trying their level best to beat you). This is total war, baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.