Subject: Clank effects after leaving the dungeon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
Are players affected by card effects affecting all players or all other players, such as Tattle, or the arrival effects of Watcher and Overlord, or the defeat effect of Watcher?

I have searched for an answer, but could not find, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I am leaning towards a yes, because the manual only states that characters who have left the dungeon skip their turns and ignore clank drawn from the bag. There is no reason to assume that they should also be exempt from adding their clank the the bag. Hmm.. now that I have typed out my reasoning, I am quite convinced by it but, I'll post this anyways in case anyone else has any different ideas .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank represents noise that rouses the Dragon, and Clank cubes put on a player’s health track represent damage they have taken while exploring the dungeon (typically from being attacked by the dragon).

Once a player has left the dungeon they are not in danger of being attacked by any denizens of the dungeon and should ignore any clank effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futurescaper wrote:
Clank represents noise that rouses the Dragon, and Clank cubes put on a player’s health track represent damage they have taken while exploring the dungeon (typically from being attacked by the dragon).

Once a player has left the dungeon they are not in danger of being attacked by any denizens of the dungeon and should ignore any clank effects.

There was a conversation here before that concluded the opposite. I think there was even agreement from the designer. Anyway, it's basically what the OP says. The rules just say that once people have left the dungeon, they don't draw or play cards. They still are affected by clank etc, it's just that it doesn't hurt them, and helps the players still in the dungeon by slightly diluting the danger of the dragon attack bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maad McCarthy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
futurescaper wrote:

There was a conversation here before that concluded the opposite. I think there was even agreement from the designer. Anyway, it's basically what the OP says. The rules just say that once people have left the dungeon, they don't draw or play cards. They still are affected by clank etc, it's just that it doesn't hurt them, and helps the players still in the dungeon by slightly diluting the danger of the dragon attack bag.

Check out Rodney's Watch it Played video starting at 20:27

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/126899/clank-deck-building-a...

He is always spot on with the rules and pretty much says the same thing as poshniallo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree, Rodney always does a great job getting the details right.

Thanks for the link.

It still seems thematically wrong to me, but we will follow this approach in the future.

maadmccarthy wrote:
poshniallo wrote:
futurescaper wrote:

Check out Rodney's Watch it Played video starting at 20:27

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/126899/clank-deck-building-a...

He is always spot on with the rules and pretty much says the same thing as poshniallo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty clear on this:
Page 9, Step 5: The End of the Line, 2nd paragraph
"Whenever a player leaves the dungeon or is knocked out, they no longer take normal turns. They add no more Clank! to the Clank! Area. Cards that affect all players don’t affect them. If any cubes of their color are drawn from the Dragon Bag, no damage is dealt—they are treated like black cubes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
ol_bubba wrote:
"Whenever a player leaves the dungeon or is knocked out, they no longer take normal turns. They add no more Clank! to the Clank! Area. Cards that affect all players don’t affect them. If any cubes of their color are drawn from the Dragon Bag, no damage is dealt—they are treated like black cubes."

Thanks a lot for the rule book reference!! And here three out of four of us had the wrong assumption!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canisin wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:

Thanks a lot for the rule book reference!! And here three out of four of us had the wrong assumption!

When you assume...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little side note.

It doesn't matter if they take damage or not. Technically if enough damage was drawn to kill them after they got out of the dungeon...well, per the rules, they're out of the depths and therefore keep all their points (including the mastery token).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Chrzanowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
We were debating this in tonight's game. It seemed too easy to get above ground, out of the depths, and keep our victory points. There was no real fear of being knocked out once we left the depths since doing so didn't change our final scores. Instead of leaving, we explored above ground and acquired more cards with victory points until we were knocked out by the dragon or the game ended and we were all knocked out. Definitely took away the fear of dying and a little from the overall game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Wheelie2084 wrote:
We were debating this in tonight's game. It seemed too easy to get above ground, out of the depths, and keep our victory points. There was no real fear of being knocked out once we left the depths since doing so didn't change our final scores. Instead of leaving, we explored above ground and acquired more cards with victory points until we were knocked out by the dragon or the game ended and we were all knocked out. Definitely took away the fear of dying and a little from the overall game for me.

You get a 20 point Mastery Token if you leave the dungeon - before you get knocked out or the game ends. It would make sense to grab that 20 points if you are likely to get killed before your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelie2084 wrote:

We really enjoy this game but I have to agree with that the rule about getting to keep all your treasure and points even when you get killed as long as you are out of the depths is a bit of a kill joy. In last nights game, I got out of the dungeon, snatched the 20 point Mastery Token, while my opponent decided to explore a few more turns in the upper part of the dungeon. When I moved to the 2nd space above ground, we drew 5 Clank out of the bag and it filled her health meter, killing her. Of course since she was out of the depths, per the rules we counted her points and she ended up winning 95-88. It just seems to me that if you died in ANY part of the dungeon that it would be hard to get your treasure outshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that's part of the push your luck. If you and your opponent each only have 2 damage, it's probably not a good idea to run out and give him five more turns. But if he's at 8 damage, or if you're at 8 with little chance to heal, you may want to. 20 points is decent - can they get more than 20 points in those next turns? Maybe, maybe not.
Last time I played the other player did the quick-run approach, and I pushed my luck. I did end up winning by a few points, but I was one turn away from dying in the Depths where I wouldn't have scored anything, and was very much worried about my ability to even get out of the Depths. It could have gone either way so it was an exciting end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Tony. In the previous game to the one I talked about, I had tons of treasure and did get STUCK in the depths while my opponent made a hasty exit. I could not draw boots or swords to save my life and my health meter ran out one room below the upper part of the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miriam Vogler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:

I have my first game ahead of me, so here is what I don't understand: My Goal is to get to the starting Point in order to purchase the mastery token. So, in order to get there, I still have to take normal turns and Play Cards once I have escaped the dungeon, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Mimismaus wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:

I have my first game ahead of me, so here is what I don't understand: My Goal is to get to the starting Point in order to purchase the mastery token. So, in order to get there, I still have to take normal turns and Play Cards once I have escaped the dungeon, right?

Escaping the dungeon means getting back to your starting point, not just getting above ground.
Mastery token is free. Escape from the dungeon and you get it.
Note: You finish the turn in which you escape. Buy a card with some points on it if you didn't spend your skill before exiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimismaus wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:

The "dungeon" is the entire board. The surface is still part of the dungeon. So, "escaping" the dungeon will be at the same time as reaching your starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.