Subject: Order for stating how many patents you buy during research rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should players follow turn order when announcing how many patents they buy after the research phase?

All the times I've played it's been a free for all, where players state how many cards they keep and then pay.

But sometimes it might be of strategic importance to know how many cards your opponent keeps, before deciding if you want to keep a certain card.

For example if you let your opponent keep Predators and you consider keeping Livestock. You don't want to keep Livestock if your opponent keeps 4 cards, but you'll go for it if she keeps 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if you want to be hardcore about it, player order is the way to go.

I've never had anything but chaotic free-for-all announcements come up, but you're right that this can convey information that sometimes will influence someone else's decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, that situation came up on my last game. If you want to avoid it just say it in turn order. But most of the time it won't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here - normally it doesnt matter, but if you feel like you must, ask to do it that turn in turn order.
Still might not do you any good depending where you are in the turn order, but there's not much else to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have everyone decide which cards they're keeping in their right hand and simultaneously reveal.

Honestly, anyone who needs to know this info is taking the game way too seriously. About the only time it would matter is for the one milestone that requires 16 cards in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Should players follow turn order when announcing how many patents they buy after the research phase?

All the times I've played it's been a free for all, where players state how many cards they keep and then pay.

But sometimes it might be of strategic importance to know how many cards your opponent keeps, before deciding if you want to keep a certain card.

For example if you let your opponent keep Predators and you consider keeping Livestock. You don't want to keep Livestock if your opponent keeps 4 cards, but you'll go for it if she keeps 1.

How would you know they're keeping predators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

Pass Predators to them as the last card in the draft and they buy all four cards into their hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this sounds like a fun killer to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
this sounds like a fun killer to me

Is it somehow different from paying attention to where people are building cities, going for awards or whatever else you consider in this game that is not light by a long stretch?

What would be the point of playing with a drafting variant if you're not going to care about it?

What part of the game is fun to you . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:

I prefer to play with the draft variant. If you haven't tried it I really recommend it. It becomes a much better game (imo of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

Pass Predators to them as the last card in the draft and they buy all four cards into their hand?

...in an even numbered generation so drafting direction is opposite of play order...

This sounds like a very specific and rare situation.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
This sounds like a very specific and rare situation.....

Except in 2 player games..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a somewhat rare occurence, but when it does come up, it can matter quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.